Lake Inspections 2012

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

PLUCKA

Re: Lake Inspections 2012

Post by PLUCKA »

Well mother nature hit us again. Myself and the other experienced saltologists all agreed that we would explain our findings at the final inspection. So here goes.
Michael,Smurf,my 2 girls and myself arrived at Mt Ives at around 5:30 pm on Friday arvo. We met up with senior saltologist Cookie and his child minding wife Cathy. Cookie and Cathy had previously attended on the lake and found it to be in relatively good health, albeit portion of a full track. Cookie shared his autocad expertise withus and he had plotted our track in with the GPS. From discussions at the dinner table and over some bottles of red the decision was going to be how much of a track can be preped and which direction was going to be the safest option. Armed with Cookies data maps we all agreed that we would run north to south allowing a greater safety for turn outs and return roads,ect.
Up early Saturday morning and lake bound, the ramp was irreputably the best I and we have ever seen, with a very thick covering that would with stand the rigors of constant traffic throughout the week. We drove out to the 32nd paralell (track race line) and headed south for ground zero, for those that are lost this is the zero mile marker of our track (we normally start at 1 mile). This plot was in very good shape so we turned around and headed north and was able to get some really good hard salt up to the 4 mile mark about where the creek or low spot is. This area was damp and may have sustain multiple traffic flow. After this creek area the salt was very good through to Alcatraz island. At this point, well lets just say we had a mechanical failure which saw us going on a fitness spree. Later that evening back at Mt Ives all of us decided that we would stay on over night as it had rained at the station. We agreed to again on Sunday re check what had been plotted (so far the best we had for race week was nearly 4 mile with limited return track and pitting area.) Sunday morning ahd back on the lake well this living breathing bitch of a thing had changed again over night, no surface water to speak of but the all that was usable on Saturday was now far from race ready even to the untrained. We worked relentlessly all day plotting and moving all over the lake, again south and north of the creek to make this meeting happen, the best we can up with was 2 mile of average salt. I have not seen the condition of it change so rapidly. Yes I to have seen water on day and the next we are racing but this was different. it was dangerous at 60 ks let alone big mile an hour. We kept going well into the late afternoon looking to pull a miricle from somewhere even though by this point we had made the call to the committee to diseminate the bad news out to the members. :( :( Nuf said. Only a big thank you to all the monitors over the last nearly 3 months, it has been a huge committment by those who assisted and if anything has come of this as Pete Noy said we are now seen in different light by the Aboriginal Rangers as an organisation that actually knows and cares about the lake, also some very usable data for next time. Catch ya at Omeo :wink:

Plucka
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Thanks for the extra info Plucka
(Tony says G'Day by the way :wink: ) ain't it strange publicans know the Police so well :roll:
Thanks for the HHUGE effort mate!! we all appreciate it HEAPS!! :D :D
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Thanks Plucka to you and Cookey and the others who have made the effort to go to the Lake and send reports. Up until now there has only been speculation and anecdotal evidence, that , combined with poor communication has increased tensions within the club and that isn't a good starting point for anything.

Various factors that have been discussed over the years are now being examined in a logical manner, that helps. We now have a better picture of the difference in the way the lake behaves between Feb and May....the more "I saw it with my own eyes" info we have the better this will be. The meeting with the rangers and the proof that we hold the lake as very, very valuable are points that will stand the ongoing speedweek in better stead.

I can understand newer members frustrations but I will counter that despite not having had a meet since 2010 I feel much more confidant that we will have better meets into the future than we could have hoped for just three years ago. It isn't just the weather that has threatened the meet BUT this organised observational program is putting an end to unnecessary bickering and hare-brained ideas.

Thanks guys.

DrG
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Ditto to the Doc,

Since the first time I saw lake G in 2000 I said to anyone that would listen "F#&k the race cars". Its a special place.

It has a magic that has sucked me in in the short 12 years I have known it. I fully understand the tie the long term indiginous owners have with it
Its nice to no they are begining to understand our dedication to looking after it as well.

Chris
Chris
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Chris,
We came to the Lake on Friday and my partner Kath & myself spent around 3 hours plotting tracks and logging salt conditions.
Reported to Plucka and the team at MT. Ive that evening that the minimum we had was a track running south from the middle of Alcatraz for 4½ miles with possible pit layout to the east and reasonable areas for pits,turn out & return roads.
Basically a reverse of the GPS track with racers at "Full Bottle" past the canteen area.

Great enthusiasm the next morning when we go out to confirm Friday's preliminary findings. :!: :!: :!:
Not so - salt at Alcatraz was soft :!: :!: :!: no rain overnite & WTF the salt down the bottom end was soft also :!: :!: :!: In less than 12 Hrs :?: :?: :?:
Waited until the Sunday and we ran over the charted areas and conditions were different yet again. :?: :?:

Came home and promptly emptied all of our salt shakers and vowed to never go back again.
10 minutes later - looking forward to the next trip up there. :!: :!: :!: :!:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Any hints on WHY? the change in such a short time............. anyone??
Were is the "saltoligist" when we need him :?
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Mother Nature is a cruel bitch.

Chris
Chris
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Yup! :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
JonB

Post by JonB »

Rocket wrote:Any hints on WHY? the change in such a short time............. anyone??
Were is the "saltoligist" when we need him :?

My guess

The moisture in the salt is constantly moving to maintain a state of equilibrium, without evaporation it would be the same moisture content all the way through.
This happens with any granular product with moisture in it, the finer the granules the greater the capillary action.

With evaporation on the surface moisture is constantly moving upwards to try to maintain the balance.
This is why when it is graded the area where salt is dropped in a hole it will harden rather than end up as a hole with dryish salt in it.

When conditions are very borderline (like now) the surface will change every time the evaporation rate changes.
At the end of a warm-ish breezy day the salt will be firm because it is evaporating quicker than capillary action can draw up the moisture.
Overnight evaporation drops and capillary action is on the winning side, so first thing in the morning the surface is damper and softens.
Any dew will add to the surface moisture.

Cheers
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Spot on Jon,
On the Friday afternoon it was sunny and breezy with the salt relatively dry and firm up near Alcatraz.
A cold and still Friday night and no wind on Saturday saw the salt damp and crumbly in the exact same spot!
Sunday had no wind again and was clear and sunny and as the day progressed you could see the salt sweating as the moisture rose up to the surface and in fact in some spots filled the tyre tracks with water.
A report from the lake on Tuesday said that there were strong winds in the area and straight out from the canteen the salt was firm & hard. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

WATER...... The great leveler.....
What an education this last couple of months have been...
The pictures and video from Doc's plane are invaluable ,as was the pictures on the ground...
Interesting to see, was when a little hole was dug into the lake it filled with water to show us the level of the water of the complete lake, which at best looked to be only 3 to 4 inches below the surface of the salt. (Thats a pretty full lake )
and when the lake is that full it only needs to rain anywhere on the lake and the level is going to rise..
(sort of like fulling the bath on a grand scale, pour it in at one end and the level raises evenly ) plus the
granular capilary action that Jon speeks of, plus the minor tidle effect a lake that size will have twice a day and add to that a shocking evaperation rate for this time of the year.
It was allways going to be a call to the wire... :o
From some of the boys up here that haven't quite made it to the computer age ... (this place was a relay station)

........ THANK YOU...... once again for the efforts of all involved...

I'm beginning to be known as "the little mechanic that cried salt flats " (little boy that cried wolf )
My forth attempt and still no "salt cred "
All Good
Hope to see ya's soon
Ross...
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Thanks for the info guys (though most of it goes straight over my head :roll: )
The more we learn the better I reckon :wink:

It hasn't stopped raining all day down here, so I expect the same could be on the lake?? (though not much showing at Nonning ATM)
From what I can understand, we need some wet weather to help "repair" the salt ?
So I see it as a good thing for next year (& the local farmers are a little happier too :wink: )
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au