Lead Shot ballast

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

BIG GAZ

Lead Shot ballast

Post by BIG GAZ »

Sorry to hijack the forum for my own evil purposes but I need to find a contact for lead shot to use as ballast in the Shaguar. I need 120 kg in each door sill and up to 200kg in each rear chassis rail. Lead shot in 2mm to 5mm size, shotgun shot, small lead sinkers etc etc. All the suppliers want about $5.00kg which I can't afford. I don't really want to melt my own scrap into the RHS mounted in the car. Any ideas?
GAZ
Norm

Re: Lead Shot ballast

Post by Norm »

Well there are a few ways. You could use old wheel weights, fishing sinkers or even concrete. I could just see you now filling the doors of the Jag with concrete. Even better Bob maybe able to help you out :evil: :twisted:

Norm
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I only have a limited amount of space for ballast. Concrete has a SG of 2.5 and lead has an SG of 11.4. I need to go with the lead. Melting down 400kg of wheel weights won't be that much fun and I don't have the time. Besides the price Bob will charge for concrete will be exorbitant until he gets his motor back together.
Surely someone has a contact for cheap shot?
GAZ
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I can think of a few cheap shots but that wouldn't be very constructive :lol:
Huge

Post by Huge »

Had to look into it sooner or later so rang up this mob and enquired- http://www.cagroup.com.au/Lead_Shot.asp

They sell in up to 1500kg amounts, at $2.40 a kilo. :shock: Think I'll be knocking off old batteries :roll: Theres a lot of lead in them big CAT batteries!

What's wheel weights worth?
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I rang Consolidated Alloys at Wetheril Park and spoke to a less than interested person about my needs. He quoted $5.54kg which is not quality screened and ranges in size from 2 to 5 mm which really doesn't matter as long as it flows. The price breaks seem fairly rigid then. Anyone else interested in 'sharing the load'?
How did you get the $2.40/kg price, from which branch? I might try them again. At that price I would definately buy a few hundred kilo's.
GAZ
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Yee Haa! Thanks for the tip Huge. Consolidated Alloys in QLD were much more ammenable, and cheap too. $2.69 a kg. I need to transport from Qld but I can get that done for nothing. 230 KG will be on its way tomorrow.
Now I only have 999,999 things left to worry about.
Thanks again,
GAZ
Huge

Post by Huge »

Good stuff! I was talking to the head office in Melbourne. Don't recall the dudes name but he seemed pretty keen to help.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Gaz

Let me know if you need them transported to your depot. I might be able to get that other stuff to you too.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Cheap Shot

Um

"If you had a painted it a Luckier colour it might have finished itself by now" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris
Chris
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I don't think luck had a lot to do with this seven year project, just ask my wife!
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Lucky you got onto the lead Gary , I had Boral teeéd up to drop off a couple of meters for you (2.5 ton per m3),could've got 5 ton of ballast installed in two minutes , just by sticking the chute thru the window !!!!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Bob

He needs to harden up!!
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

The belly laughs are killing me and this thread. Thank you all for you 'contributions'.
Gaz
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

BIG GAZ wrote:I don't think luck had a lot to do with this seven year project, just ask my wife!
You've still got one?...when was the last time you checked..she must have somethin to keep her busy...seven years :lol:

That was my cheap shot.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..