Revisiting alternate sites

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

David Leikvold

Re: Revisiting alternate sites

Post by David Leikvold »

Dave,
That's a shaved poodle wearing a tie or he doesn't get in!

Greg,
It's a shame you're out, but standards are standards!

:D :D :D :D

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
kermitracing

Post by kermitracing »

Hi All, run a ballot based on howmany runs possible over the day that can be realistically achieved. You win ya get to go! Having won the slot you would be sure to make the most of it. This way it is not some formula based approval process ticking all the boxes? Any thoughts?
Cheers Paul
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

How many runs we could realistically manage in a day depends on lots of variables that haven't been locked in yet. Here's some preliminary thoughts:

First up, how long will the race track length be? The longest straight line on the lake surface looks to be just over 4km (roughly 2.5 miles) but that includes the end that, on Google Maps, shows water at the south western end. El Mirage apparently runs over 1.3 miles so if we're looking for some commonality we should use the same length. That still gives us a good distance to slow down and return safely and efficiently. Speeds at EM are obviously slower than Bonneville but plenty of cars and bikes still go well over 200mph. In the video Greg posted the other day the roadster took less than 50 seconds to cross the finish line at 190mph and had turned off the braking area 70 seconds after he left the startline. For the sake of simplicity let's assume those numbers are fairly constant.

If we set up the race track like that a two minute turnaround might be achievable. Members of the Queensland Startline Officials Club are welcome to challenge me on this. If that works out that's 30 runs an hour barring ANY glitches. If we ran from 0800 to 1800 on the Saturday and 0800 to 1600 on the Sunday that's 18 hours of racing at 30 runs an hour. That's 540 in a perfect two day weekend meeting. If we had 120 competitors that's still only 4.5 runs each. Not particularly impressive for an interstate competitor but it's still about what we manage at Speedweek. I think that would be enough to impress the locals at the first meeting.

We might want to consider at a later meeting mowing two tracks from a common startline that spread apart the way they do at Bonneville so they were safe to run, especially with staggered starts. With a two minute cycle that would give our theoretical competitors nine runs in two days, which is far more appealing. If we trimmed the cycle back to its optimum it would be even better.

Flame away gentlemen :D

Cheers
Dave :D
RGV

Post by RGV »

Not the old 2 vehicles at once chestnut again. :roll:

We could start in the middle and run 4 tracks 2 in either direction. Therefore we could have 9 runs each. Then taking off lunch breaks of 0.5 hrs staggered for each track, that would make 8.987 runs. :wink:

Perhaps we should all just roll up there and have a T & T week end.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

WTF ???? Invitation only ? Fastest & best looking ? We are not there for the spectators, we are there to race. Great way to divide the club! Methinks someone has lost the plot again! Don't worry RGV, you don't need to be shiny or fast to run to run at Tailem Bend. Pete . DLRA #6.
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

Right behind ya skipper.(Pete) No need to limit entries, No need to show case our best, From what I hear (and I generally listen pretty hard) they are in favour and are welcoming one and all. RGV (Dave) you have the first run.

Plucka
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

Invitation only??? What a load of shit. That is one way to tell members that you and your car is not good enough for the DLRA.
IMO, if the car is good enough to get through scrutineering, then it is good enough to race......at any DLRA event. To me it sounds like you don't like the 'rat look' cars......Time to build a bridge....
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

This is not about pretty cars and bikes, I'm just trying to point out what's going to happen at Lake Omeo unless this meeting is very well planned. Don't try to make fun of the numbers, they don't lie.

Let's have a quick look at Speedweek 2010, then you'll understand what I'm trying to explain. According to our website there were 209 entrants and 438 runs over 4 days using two tracks. That's roughly 110 runs a day spread over two tracks or 55 runs a day per track. If we had the same unrestricted number of entrants for the first Lake Omeo event that was only run over two days and only on one track and used the exact same procedures as Speedweek and absolutely nothing went wrong ONLY HALF THE ENTRANTS WOULD GET A RUN. One run that would be over in about one minute. The other 100 or so competitors who had paid their entry fees and travelled a long way to be there would be left watching from the sidelines. Do you think that might "divide the club"? If we shortened the time between runs to the two minutes that's 30 runs an hour and ran the 18 hours I suggested that's 540 runs over two days on one track. Are you still with me?

With 209 competitors that's only 2.5 runs each, assuming that absolutely nothing goes wrong. That means 100 members get three runs and the other 100 only get two. If there are any delays, fewer people get three runs. Do you think that might upset some people? Who chooses who gets the extra run? Who do they choose? Another member reminded me in a PM that because it's a new track we should be doing the 125, 150, 175, 200 speed qualifying and parachute pull test again for everyone. So that means everybody turns up to do 125mph and then 150mph, perhaps half get to do 175mph and then it's over. THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE!
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

For Christ's sake Dave - Please get back on your medication. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

David Leikvold wrote:This is not about pretty cars and bikes, I'm just trying to point out what's going to happen at Lake Omeo unless this meeting is very well planned. Don't try to make fun of the numbers, they don't lie.
.....but in an earlier post:
David Leikvold wrote:The organisers then pick the best looking and fastest cars and bikes
Your words........not mine. :roll: :roll: :roll:
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

You're missing the point of this discussion completely! It's "Revisiting alternate sites" and the contents are supposed to be about that and that alone. Read all my posts again and don't pretend you're a politician selectively using quotes on the edge of their real context just so you can take cheap shots at me just because the reality of the situation is not as nice as you'd like it to be. If you're happy to drive nine hours each way to spend two or maybe even three minutes driving on the lake then so be it. Get smart, put some Vee rubber on the Karmann Ghia and go to Eastern Creek for the day instead. You'll have a great time, spend heaps less, not waste two working days and probably learn something too.

I'll say it again for the slow learners, unrestricted entry will ruin the meeting for everyone.

But do what you like, if it's this hard for my baiters to understand my posts then just ignore ignore my advice and enjoy your one, two or three minutes of "racing". You'd get better value from a weekend at Tailem Bend.
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

.....simply responding to your comments, and giving my opinion to comments you made......if you don't like it, then don't comment. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am not pretending to be a politician. If this thread is about revisiting alternative sites, then WTF do you suggest picking " the best looking and fastest cars and bikes" ?
You are the one that raised that subject, not me. If you only want to discuss other sites, then quit the dribble that you have come out with.....like a politician.
Based on your suggestions......who are the racers going to be, that will be told "you are not welcome"? Who will be the ones that decide who can come and who can't?
Once again, YOU raised this not me. I am merely giving my opinion of your dribble.

All competitors go to Speedweek for their own records and reasons, whether it be to crack 200 mph or 80 mph. So are you suggesting that because I don't want to go 200 mph, that I should stick to Tailem Bend T&T days? or drag days at Eastern Creek. I say a big #### you to that idea and suggestion.

It seems that you do not care for anyones elses reason for doing Speedweek, other than your own.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

IN2VWS,
Don't get too rattled by Dave's mindless prattle.
If you could only see his early posts and pictures of his Celica build attempt (He's removed them long ago) you would realize that his efforts wouldn't get past the tech inspection at the local rubbish tip. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Ratmuller

Post by Ratmuller »

Just to clear up who owns and drives the Ghia...thats me stephen muller...I have not entered into this discussion ...please dont confuse me with someone else, I have taken offence to your comments ...time to apoligise my friend....#### you dont know what I may know ,and how long I've been doing it too....Sounds like you better get your facts straight before you shoot yourself in the foot again...John IN2VWS lives in Melbourne and is the new owner of a 56 bug...I live in Sydney own the orange Ghia.....which holds a new Australian record..WTF have you done !!!!!
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Oh Cookey , what have you done!?!? You silly man , the local rubbish tip don't do tech inspections!!! (or issue medication)