Revisiting alternate sites

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

OLDtimer

Re: Revisiting alternate sites

Post by OLDtimer »

The reference to Tailem Bend T&Ts by Mr. Leikvold is nothing to do with the organizers of these events. Just thought i would mention that in case anyone thought he was pushing to get entries there instead of Omeo. I will be traveling 14 hours plus to get there & if we only get a couple of runs, so be it. That is the nature of our sport. (If nothing else, he does provide us with some entertainment). Pete Noy. DLRA #6.
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Stephen,

Right car, wrong bloke. I apologise for thinking poorly of you when it was entirely undeserved.

Cookey,

Ah yes, the ill fated Celica project. For those that don't know, back in 2007 after one of Don Noble's very congenial get-togethers (I think it was Ross Brown's first visit) I was really bugged that I didn't have anything for the salt. In a moment of weakness I found the Celica online and for $2,000 bought it and a V6 Camry which donated most of its running gear for the project. It was destined for F/BFCC. It was a mistake and I freely acknowledge that. I had nowhere to build it so the photos showed the Celica under a tarp in the backyard, on blocks surrounded by bits that were coming off both cars. It was unimpressive and the many barely literate trolls on this website laughed their stupid heads off at my self-inflicted adversity. A few kind souls offered some encouragement and I thank them for that.

The car never got beyond the stage of dismantling and cutting out of wheel arches and other panels. Eventually I had to concede that I could never afford to finish the project and to my great disappointment it went to that great big caryard in the sky not long after the tarp died of UV exposure. I must admit that for a long time the project was fun and it was better to have had a go and fail than just never have a go.

My advice for those considering a build is this: Don't start without a real budget and don't think that things will always go your way, life isn't like that. I doubt that I'll ever try to build myself anything for the salt again, much as I love the purity of land speed racing, the reality is that there's very little bang for the buck in it for me anymore.

But that's enough of that. Without the slightest hint of malice intended I have to ask you Cookey, whatever happened to that lakester project of yours?

Cheers
Unmedicated Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
kermitracing

Post by kermitracing »

Hi All,
In reality David may well be right. Smaller track more members. No one with much experience on clay surface. This will be a re enactment on a group scale the frustrations we experience as individuals when we face cancellation. If only a portion of participants get a chance to run. I for one would rather just go as a spectator than arrive with the bike and all the shit that goes with it and get a couple of licence runs in if I am lucky. So lets work through this. The comnmittee can only make an informed decision based on input through its club members. Lets determine by concensus probable number of participants by what ever mean possible and runs achievable, based on the events time frame. What thoughts?
Cheers Paul
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Just got another PM reminding me that the surface will deteriorate with use so we may well have to mow several parallel and adjoining tracks (wickets :) ?) just so that we can provide enough prepared surface to last all weekend. I have no idea how long each strip will last (who would?) or how many we'd need but it's just another another thing that needs to be taken into consideration for the meeting to be as successful as it can possibly be for all concerned. If we don't cut enough, there's the delay that will steal away that third run for the lucky 100. Perhaps if we rotated the use of all of them evenly throughout the weekend we would at least spread the deterioration over a wider area and thus maintain a better and more consistent quality of surface.

Pete, if you think entrants may only get two runs for their trouble and expense maybe that will reduce the number of people willing to enter to a manageable number anyway. It certainly wouldn't encourage many people. See Paul's comments above.

A show of hands please. Who would definitely pay to be an entrant and definitely turn up ready to "race" at this meeting knowing that you will probably only get two or maybe three runs at qualifying speeds only. Be advised that if you normally go faster than 175mph you WILL NOT get the chance to do that at this meeting! If we run out of mowed surface early that speed limit for everyone is reduced to no faster than 150mph.

Any takers?
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

track setup has been discussed, and the need for a wide area so the track can move
much of the initial setup will be based on El Mirage , and we will probably modify that as needs dictate once we see just how things are working out.
the first meet may well be a licence day, only Kim and myself that i know of have run on ElMirage and have that dirt experiance and we definitely will not be going out there flat stick on the first passes on an untested surface

Factor in those that may not want to travel long distance for a short track or limited runs and i think we will not have a capacity crowd but more a large number of entrys that will not be unmanagable and everyone should get several runs

What i will be proposing will be that we use the US model for licencing, and that a 125 lic is run above 125 but below 150 , and a 150 lic is run between 150 and 175 etc, this current 10% is going to be very difficult for the drivers/riders to get right and could cause a lot of un needed reruns
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Thanks for that, Greg. With the qualifying speed issue the first meeting would be ideal for cars and bikes that normally run around those speeds anyway. Things like VWs and RGVs would probably have a good time in those circumstances. Ditto for David Waight's T bucket, Paul's Vespa and many others :) . John Lynch and Alan Fountain not so much :( .

Cheers
Dave :D
SPOOK

Post by SPOOK »

Thank you Greg for the factual information on the potential new track at Omeo. I dare say that the first meeting at Lake G was not as good as it could be but with experiance and hard work by the dedicated few it has had many changes and today it is a great surface to race on.[ thats if it aint raining lol ] Even if Omeo is not suitable,and I do hope it is, Greg has put a lot of time into this project and if its a goer it proves one thing that " He who dares wins." The naysayers may stay home and watch TV. cos I will be there helping wherever possible. Cheers Russell.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Actually Russell , credit where due , Andrew first noticed and mentioned the lake and Kim has done most of the initial ground work, and now its a team effort .
There is another lake inspection & meeting coming up in a few weeks , and more info will be available by the AGM
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Look out all you "baiters" out there, you'll upset the "Master baiter" :lol:
Cheers,
Trevor #298 :D
SPOOK

Post by SPOOK »

In that case Greg,a big thankyou to Andrew and Kim also.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Thanks Greg.

Anyone who wants to make dust with other members should use the PM function, public scraps and name calling don't look very good here. Discuss things logically, using facts or give it a miss.

If you think Dave's ideas suck then the constructive thing to do is explain why.If his facts are wrong tell him.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Unmedicated Dave said
"Without the slightest hint of malice intended I have to ask you Cookey, whatever happened to that lakester project of yours?"

Here it is Dave, but I wont be entering it at Lake Omeo until there is some more work done to improve its appearance. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

I hereby christen it "Alf" :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Cookey, that's just beautiful, you've really excelled yourself with this one :lol: :lol: :lol: . What the hell is it?

Cheers again
Unmedicated Dave :mrgreen:
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

The lakester looks more more comfy than the streamliner Cookie.