Revisiting alternate sites

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Cookey

Re: Revisiting alternate sites

Post by Cookey »

Not sure if the brakes will pass tech Bob :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Hi all,

I'm very new to this dry lakes business having come from drag racing, however I have been watching with great interest the search for a new race venue. Now I apologise in advance if this is a ridiculous suggestion (as I said, I'm new to this) but has any consideration ever been given to lake George near Goulburn NSW. Whilst the surface may need a bit of sorting, and there are clearly parts of it which are not suitable (under water, or criss crossed with barbed wire fences) the bulk of it seems ok and it is truly massive. Add to that the fact that it is under 3 hours drive from Sydney and is so close to Goulburn and Canberra and it would seem to be a great candidate. Of course I don't know what the Government and Environmentalists would say, but I know for a fact they take no issue with flying model aircraft there (not that that is the same as racing) and they frequently graze cattle on parts of it and no-one seems to whinge... just a thought is all. If I'm way off the mark with this one please let me know.
project100

Post by project100 »

I just did a search on Google Earth for Lake George...she looks big.
Attachments
lake george.jpg
lake george.jpg (16.87 KiB) Viewed 21874 times
I nearly had a psychic girlfriend but she left me before we met.
Dreamliner 200

Post by Dreamliner 200 »

Last time I went past Lake George it was being used for grazing, sheep, cattle etc. The road passes right alongside it.

I recall some scrubby shrubs, dividing wire fences and all sorts....

Was a while ago though, may have flooded and re formed a surface since then?

Been discussed on here before too. :mrgreen:
DLRA Member 752
Livin' the dream!
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

The shrubs and fences are mainly in the north west quarter of the lake which has been dry the longest and borders the highway. Most of the fences were in pretty poor shape last time I saw them having not been replaced since the lake was full in the mid 90's. If necessary, I don't imagine it would be too hard to get permission to move some of them. The Southern end of the lake drops down slightly and is pretty consistently underwater. This still leaves an area no less than 10km long and at least a couple of km wide along the Eastern side of the lake in front of the wind farm. You would have to think there is a suitable course in there somewhere.
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

If you do a search within this forum you will see that Lake George has been suggested previously and found unsuitable for the reasons stated therein.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Just came across this news. Yes I know it's drag racing, but it's 50 mins from Adelaide and closer than Tailem Bend.
Question for the locals will it have an adverse effect on Tailem Bend?

Cougar Raceway granted approval
Santel International Racing have announced their application to build and operate a drag racing complex in the City of Murray Bridge has been granted.
The track will be constructed on land zoned for motorsport on the corner of Old Princess Highway and Maurice Road in Rocky Gully (Monarto).
It is anticipated the sign off from the council will be come in June.
For more details go to http://www.cougarraceway.com.au/
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
zork

Post by zork »

Racing Onn Promotions

Private Test Days now available at Adelaide International Raceway. To make a booking please call Rino on 0419722464.
Attachments
550864_326337790774058_1124381190_n.jpg
550864_326337790774058_1124381190_n.jpg (36.73 KiB) Viewed 21769 times
Rob

Post by Rob »

I was down at Cootamundra on the weekend, they had a sprint event at the local airport however this coming Sunday, Sept 8th there is a 100M sprint event at Temora, apparently last years top speed was in a Commodore at 295km/h and brakes are the "hot" topic.

Some research after I got home came up with this http://www.temora1000.com/

There's also a Facebook page of info.

I'm not sure I can make it back next weekend but if I can I will delve further. Seems they are well sponsored based on that web page.
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yes, typo. 1000 metre sprint.

More research shows they use the shorter of the two runways at 1468M (0.917 miles) for their event, the longer runway is listed online as 2040M (1.275 miles). Neither has great runoff prospects, particularly given the presence of runway lighting before and after the tarmac.

Cheers,
Rob
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Has anyone ever considered lake Cullival near Wagga Wagga in NSW as a potential race venue? It's about 5km long and 2km wide and unlike so many other lakes doesn't seem to support any sort of wildlife or flowers or endagered moss.

It also seems to be dry most of the time, only holding water for a short time after particularly bad rain. All the roads in the area are sealed black top save for the short dirt road to the lake surface. There are also some big towns nearby with 1st rate facilities.

It may not be suitable but it would be rude not to share.

Cheers
Rob

Post by Rob »

If it's close to you it'd be great if you could check into it further. It looks like there's an air field across it on Google earth?? Is it fenced and/or private property?

I spied Lake Urana close by which is oh so much larger but it also appears to be fenced into paddocks.

Cheers,
Rob
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

It's not near me (I'm on the NSW Central Coast) however I'm very keen to look into any lakes in NSW which are suitable. I'll try and find a phone number for the farm that seems to be on the little dirt road and use my best telephone manner and friendly demeanour to obtain information :D

As for the lines across the lake I couldn't work out if that was an airstrip or just tyre tracks although I was looking at Google maps rather than Google earth. I looked into Urana up the road as well however there is some serious environmental conservation going on over there which I have no doubt would seriously hamper any efforts to race on it.

I will report back......
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

No luck finding phone numbers for the properties near the lake. I called the local Police and spoke to an officer who was kind enough to ask around the station and find out if anyone was aware of the lake or who looked after it. Unfortunately no-one seemed to be familiar with it which tends to suggest it might be on private property..or perhaps they've just never had cause to look in to its existence. It doesn't seem to be particularly visible from the road.

It certainly doesn't seem to have any local significance which may be a plus.
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

It looks like Lake Cullival is part of the Lockhart Shire.
Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866