New to land speed racing

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

BikerBoy

Re: New to land speed racing

Post by BikerBoy »

Dr Goggles wrote:
Don't bother with a 9 inch. But do consider a chain drive( unless the 'Busa guys are talking shit you can put a lot of hp through them),
You'll need a good quality 530 chain (such as an RK GB530GXW), but yes you can run a shit load of hp through them.
How Ironic....going fast doesn't happen quickly
DLRA #1156
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

I have an old magazine article about a V8 bike that might just solve this chain drive caper. This guy used a vw transaxle flipped over so the clutch is at the front, then stuck a sprocket and an outboard bearing where one of the axles used to be. He was using an old rover 3500 motor. I've also seen a v8 bike with SBC and 2 speed powerglide mounted sideways one behind the other. It had a primary chain on one side and final drive chain on the other. It had a specially constructed bell housing to support the primary drive shaft and sprocket. Was awful wide though...

Did I mention I also have a thing for V8 bikes...
momec3

Post by momec3 »

My 20 cents,

4.0 litre the only choice in a V8 is a 1UZFE Toyota. Depends on your budget but after you have gone to all the trouble of building with the 253 and running your said record the guy that will beat you in the future (V8 wise) will have a 1UZ.

The 253 will never have the same HP per cubic inch potential.
The Toyota will cost you over double to build but compared to the total build cost for the whole race car I think its a better investment.
The Kiwis have all the gear to convert these motors to carby for simplicity and cost for what we do this is a very good option.

I have run plenty of the Holden motors and they have been a good thing in their time.

Just my thoughts if I were in your shoes.

Chris
Chris
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

walkingpace wrote:I have an old magazine article about a V8 bike that might just solve this chain drive caper. This guy used a vw transaxle flipped over so the clutch is at the front, then stuck a sprocket and an outboard bearing where one of the axles used to be. He was using an old rover 3500 motor. I've also seen a v8 bike with SBC and 2 speed powerglide mounted sideways one behind the other. It had a primary chain on one side and final drive chain on the other. It had a specially constructed bell housing to support the primary drive shaft and sprocket. Was awful wide though...

Did I mention I also have a thing for V8 bikes...
Silverton Bike? Wasn't that Leyland?
I saw a boss hog SBC powered bike in New Zealand touring the (twisty) South Island! He wan't doing too bad.
I like Chris's (Momec) idea of toymotor...If you can get a SOHC Honda to run hard, imagine how much you could get (cheaply) out of a hemispherical headed 4 valve OHC alloy wizz banger.
I love bashing ally sheet. Got a copy of Tom Paech's metal working DVD's?
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

momec3 wrote:My 20 cents,

4.0 litre the only choice in a V8 is a 1UZFE Toyota. Depends on your budget but after you have gone to all the trouble of building with the 253 and running your said record the guy that will beat you in the future (V8 wise) will have a 1UZ.

The 253 will never have the same HP per cubic inch potential.
The Toyota will cost you over double to build but compared to the total build cost for the whole race car I think its a better investment.
The Kiwis have all the gear to convert these motors to carby for simplicity and cost for what we do this is a very good option.

I have run plenty of the Holden motors and they have been a good thing in their time.

Just my thoughts if I were in your shoes.

Chris
tick. bastard. :cry: :cry: :cry:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec3

Post by momec3 »

If perhaps your one of the unfortunate souls who choose the WRONG power plant to build a bottle around I am truly sad for you and suggest just one thing.

A 9" Grinder :wink:

Chris
Chris
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Doc,
That's the trouble with having such an iconic car. You're like a gunslinger in the old wild west, everyone's after you, whether they realise it or not! It doesn't matter if anyone ever takes any of your records, you got there first.

If you ever really want to get serious and dump the Commodore V6, get an old Camry 3VZ-FE V6 and run F/GL :wink:

Cheers
Unmedicated Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

maybe I could just put some pipes in the gaps, then I'd have room...

...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Rob

Post by Rob »

Welcome aboard,

I helped a mate build a Boss Hoss in the states when you could stil buy them as a kit. His chain drive ran off a 90' gearbox bolted to the back of a bellhousing using a "normal" clutch hydraulically operated. I can't remember the make but can easily drop him a line if you decided to go that way.

Try and get to the NSW meeting next week at Amaroo if you can, put some faces to names and get lots of info.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Checkout Hossstyle v8 motorbikes here in Aussie ,
http://www.hardnfast.com/motorcycle-rac ... drags.html
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

I was thinking about going down that road with a 90 degree change of direction then a chain drive to a toughened harley sequential box. That is of course until I found pictures of the classic Eddie Miller lakester. He had the gearbox output shaft passing under the rear axle then a chain drive to the diff from the rear. This would require the diff to be mounted upside down and backwards, and then a transfer case to reverse the rotation of the input shaft.

It would be possible to simply mount the diff backwards however you would effectively be running it in high speed in reverse which sounds like a serious mechanical failure waiting to happen. This won't be easy but what's life without challenges...
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

walkingpace wrote:I was thinking about going down that road with a 90 degree change of direction then a chain drive to a toughened harley sequential box. That is of course until I found pictures of the classic Eddie Miller lakester. He had the gearbox output shaft passing under the rear axle then a chain drive to the diff from the rear. This would require the diff to be mounted upside down and backwards, and then a transfer case to reverse the rotation of the input shaft.

It would be possible to simply mount the diff backwards however you would effectively be running it in high speed in reverse which sounds like a serious mechanical failure waiting to happen. This won't be easy but what's life without challenges...
Not necessarily.

Gears change the direction chain maintains it. You don't have to flip the axle side for side but it will need mods to oil properly if you run it upside down. There's more than a few people running dry sump diff set ups stateside.

PM me.