Motorcycle leaters

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

swello

Motorcycle leaters

Post by swello »

Hello gents and others,
I have a question re zippers on m/cycle leathers.
Do ALL the zips have to be metal?
If the perimeter (350deg )zip on a two piece is metal, and stitched to the leather, will the suit comply if the zips on the chest and the vents are not metal?

Cheers Swello
Fastest IT 175 in Avalon
(the only IT 175 in Avalon)
AuotonomousRX

Re: Motorcycle leaters

Post by AuotonomousRX »

These are the current Rules in both the 2012 DLRA and 2012 SCTA Rule Books.

7.C.2 Leathers:
One-piece or two-piece 350 deg. (zipped together) all leather is required. Limited perforations are allowed in armpit and back of knee. No cloth
or non-leather panels are allowed. Fairing (leather or cloth only) on the back of leathers is allowed in partial streamlined classes only.

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
swello

Post by swello »

Thanks Pete,
I have read that rule a few times and allways thought there must be more to it.
I,m sure metal zips are stipulated in the DLRA rules somewhere?
Swello
arby

Post by arby »

Hi can anyone recommend Someone somewhere in sa to buy off the shelf leathers which are suitable for 2013 speed week
I don't want to purchase leathers and find that I can only use them to do my gardening if you get what I mean
Arby
rbergin dlra # 845
harky

Post by harky »

look @ the posts on safety the place in SA is there and other stories re leathers
harky
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
rgn

Post by rgn »

Hi Guys, Can anyone explain to me why 2 piece leathers are allowed? And why the best of what is available in one piece road race leathers are not (due to perforations and spandex panels) Two piece leathers will potentially blow to pieces in seconds whether or not they have metal or nylon zips holding the upper and lower together, leaving large sections of middle body (no pun intended) exposed to the abrasive elements.
zork

Post by zork »

Fair suck of the sauce bottle I dont need to buy a third set!
JonB

Post by JonB »

Im not sure how this went at the latest round of SCTA rule chnages, I was a bit fixated on another one.

SCTA Rules Change Requests 2013
Request #2

Submitted By:
Richard H Taylor
Email Address: rickss69@comcast.net

Current Rule:
Leathers

One-piece or two-piece 350 deg (zipped together) all leather is required. Limited perforations
are allowed in armpit and back of knee. No cloth or non leather panels are allowed. Fairing
(leather or cloth only) on the back of the leathers is allowed in partial streamlined classes only.

Issue:
perforated/non-leather stretch panels for racing leathers not allowed

Rulebook Section: 7.C.2 Rulebook Page No: 112

Desired Outcome:
Enable the use of more economical leather racing leathers already used in other sanctioning
bodies.

Reason for Chg:
Many racers already own/use racing leathers in other motorsports. If fire safety is the reasoning
behind the non-perforated leathers, the reasoning is flawed. Most any leather suit will suffice for
abrasion purposes...none will protect from flame. If fire safety is the goal then Nomex
undergarments would be more effective and appropriate.
The cost of leathers to conform to current rules is ridiculous and not warranted or acceptable for
the intended reasoning. Many racers are currently using inferior products to save money and
conform to current rules.

Side Effects:
Nominal expense vs the price of non-perforated suits.
Riders will actually have effective fire protection instead of false sense of security.

Desired Rulebook Wording:
Something to reflect the above.

Grumm may know where this ended up.

regards
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
rgn

Post by rgn »

Well I hope this amendment gets up. I have seen cheap non perforated items about, but I wouldn't wear them.

The technology invested in the main brand offerings, in most cases allows riders to limp away from crashes while circuit racing at very very high speeds. The CE cert. armour used in the knee elbow shoulder back and chest areas is as important as the type of stitching and leather used. (Kangaroo and Kevlar are best).

The fastest crash I have experienced to date was turn 8 at PI, about 210 kph. My kangaroo one piece (Collins Leathers) and a bit of luck allowed me to walk away. (I needed to sit down and have a bex afterwards though)

My recommendation to anyone with 2 piece leathers would be to have them solidly sewn together with at least a kevlar M40 thread. And make sure your amour is up to the job. Back protector even though not included in the rules will serve you well also.

Jon, glad to hear that the ill thought out tubing rule didn't spoil the party for you. Are you going to do those upgrades anyway for future providence? Cheers.
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Check this post I put up.

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.p ... 053.0.html

We go through all of the drama about All Leather Leathers and this happens !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So does this mean we all have to have All Leather Leathers in 2013 then after that you don't?

Pete
Last edited by AuotonomousRX on Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

RGN mine was turn 9 , same leathers i use now, abrasion was not the issue , the tire wall got me a lollypop & put me in hospital
Do not ride across the kittylitter ....
Later leathers may or may not have given me more support and caused less damage to my shoulder, but then its a fairly typical motorcyclists injury
JonB

Post by JonB »

rgn wrote:
Jon, glad to hear that the ill thought out tubing rule didn't spoil the party for you. Are you going to do those upgrades anyway for future providence? Cheers.
I haven't changed anything from the original sketches I had, my cage was always going to be pretty overbuilt.
I'm building it with crashing in mind, and with making sure there is no flex between the front and back wheels, the swing arm is in for some serious bracing still.
Any flex is a start of a weave in the right conditions IMHO.

The other reason for a fair few bars is I have a pretty heavy wheel hopefully spinning at a decent rpm, if it all turns to putty I don't want it coming in to say hi.

My kids are dumb enough to want to ride it, if it handles predictably I'm probably dumb enough to let them.
I want a light bike, not at the expense of my safety though.

jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

rgn, you make the comment (recomend) that anyone using two piece leathers should have them securely sewn together, this recomendation being based from your experiences on bitumen with a very much higher friction (tearing action) than that of salt,, of all the riders that have come down on the salt wearing two piece leathers the seperation of them is not a great problem, the biggest worrie that i have seen is friction burns as one "slides" across the salt, ie the sweat boiling and burning the skin beneath the leather, :x ,, for the record i wear two piece leathers, :D ,,, it is up to the indivuial to wear what he wishes as long as it meets the safety requirements,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
rgn

Post by rgn »

Stayt`ie wrote: it is up to the indivuial to wear what he wishes as long as it meets the safety requirements,,,
I can't disagree with you there. :wink: Umm did someone mention sweat boiling :?: lol.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Umm did someone mention sweat boiling :?: lol.[/quote]

yup, i did, :) , have to admit when i first heard about it i thought wtf, however having witnessed "scaulding" to various apendages beneath intact leather of a rider who went for a slide at Bonneville, it happens, :roll: ,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,