Motorcycle leaters

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Montlhery

Re: Motorcycle leaters

Post by Montlhery »

I have just read this post . Back protectors should be compulsory in our rules . After my get off and burning a hole in my shoulder the back protector saved my whole back from getting ripped to pieces .The salt is abrasive possibly more than bitumen due to the higher speeds . I went out and got of pair of leathers SHINYA NAKANO wore at his mugello get off [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xA7bssWBg] and his zipper came undone in it so I am not sure about two piece leathers (sorry JD). Back to the hump (which is now giving me the hump) Pete ,thanks for sharing the safety article which I respect the source . I am still not sure ,I just cant believe alpinestar ,dainese ,berik etc would invest millions in that would make leathers more unsafe . This article was done in 2007 which is now a while ago and I wonder if there are any other more recent articles now humps have been around for a while. Have we any updates as to wheter the rule change for SCTA got up .Possibly we or I should submit the same to Gary Satara ?
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Is that an oversight?

The Mandatory Back Protector section is not in the 2013 DLRA / SCTA adopted Rules that I can see.

Current Rules

7.C.2 Leathers:
One-piece or two-piece 360 deg. (zipped together) all leather is required. Limited perforations are allowed
in armpit and back of knee. No cloth or non-leather panels are allowed. Fairing (leather or cloth only) on
the back of leathers is allowed in partial streamlined classes only.

DLRA 19/09/2006

7.C.2 Leathers:
One-Piece or two-piece 360degre(zipped together) all Leather is required. Limited perforations are allowed in armpit and the back of the knee.
No cloth panels are allowed. Fairing attached to the back of leathers is allowed in partial stramli8ner class only.
A back protector is mandatory in all classes. Where the Class record ia Above 200mph, full body armour is highly recommended.
It is highly recommended that fire proof undergarments be used where the existing class record is above 200mph.

Somewhere between these two set's of rules it has gone. I can't see a reference to it any where in the 7C: Rider Apparel section.

Like i said a few things to discuss at the Lake next year maybe.

Pete

I don't have a Hump on my Leathers, so for me I was just trying to put forward an article that was from a recognised source rather than hear say. But you can have them if you run Partial Streamlined so it's not a problem for me. Corporate altruism, mmm, I must have missed something somewhere.
Last edited by AuotonomousRX on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

I made back protectors mandatory when I upgraded the rules back then .... I was hoping to progress to off the shelf with perforations and stretch panels ok to use instead of the all leather if nomex or similar was used underneath..... the yanks have their own agenda ...why blindly follow? I'm not anti SCTA just believe we should have an Australian perspective.
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Hey Gary

I just edited the Post as I am referring to the Downloadable 2013 DLRA Rules.

I understand and agree with what you are saying I wonder what has happened here.

Are Back Protectors still Mandatory ?

I would not compete without one.

Pete

DLRA #866
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

The mandatory back protector was dropped from the rules whan we went to the SCTA rulebook
I tried to get it put back in the rules when we changed however I was told I needed the agreement of all of the motorcycle inspectors, which I was unable to get at the time of the rulbook update, for no other reason than not every one was easily conactable
The update of the rulebook had to happen, it would however have been good to have better local input
So if you want to make a change to the rules, the form is in the back of the book
We are not the SCTA, or a SCTA afilliated club and we can make our own choices and our own rules. If it makes sense it will be seriously considered.
Graham
They make it
I make it work
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Done Grumm :D

Pete

DLRA #866
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

That what I like! Logical, considered, polite debate.
There is a process now though. If you don't like or agree with something then get off your ginge and do something about it. We do have our own Rule book and right from the outset we said that we will use the SCTA book as a guide but if the Chief Stewards are in favour of a change then it will be incorporated into the DLRA book. The Chief Stewards are the ones putting their head on the line and signing off on the safety of each car and bike so they ultimately have the final say. I am happy to say that I have received this rule change (humps, back protectors) and a number of others for the Stewards to consider so the process is in action.
I must also say that the rules have been in place for the last two years with not too much feedback but the opportunity has always been there. There is nothing like an imminent meeting to get people thinking, if not nervous. I know I am!
Thanks to all who contributed... keep 'em coming.
GAZ
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

It wasn't that hard now, was it
G
They make it
I make it work
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

I was wondering what happened to the back protector rule? It was one of the first things I bought and then all of a sudden it was no longer required??
Still working on the excersize to try and make enough room for it to fit inside the leathers though :)
Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

[quote="Mossy"
Still working on the excersize to try and make enough room for it to fit inside the leathers though :)
Cheers Mossy[/quote]
A beer diet Mossy ?
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
rgn

Post by rgn »

Mossy wrote:I was wondering what happened to the back protector rule? It was one of the first things I bought and then all of a sudden it was no longer required??
I would still wear it whether or not required by the rules.

One thing regarding the humps, apart from the obvious aero, they can prevent in some cases hyper-extension of the neck.

The humps are also being used to house the nitrogen bottle and electronics for the new breed of air-bag deployment suits, it's likely that they will be mandatory in motogp shortly, and as a result they will become a more common place in the market and racing. It's called active safety, and there will be people who see the obvious safety benefits and will want to use them.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/168595 ... ained.html
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Can you show me where there is proof that Humps "prevent hyper extension of the neck"?

I thought that is what a HANS device or a Leatt Brace did.

Pete

DLRA #866
rgn

Post by rgn »

AuotonomousRX wrote:Can you show me where there is proof that Humps "prevent hyper extension of the neck"?
No. :D

There are so many things I cannot prove I'm having trouble getting to them all. I've been wondering about the speed of dark lately... Tubing size for the construction of streamliners, and what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Auuuuuuuugh. (There goes the bridge keeper)...

Cheers. :D
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

rgn wrote:
AuotonomousRX wrote:Can you show me where there is proof that Humps "prevent hyper extension of the neck"?
No. :D

There are so many things I cannot prove I'm having trouble getting to them all. I've been wondering about the speed of dark lately... Tubing size for the construction of streamliners, and what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow? What do you mean? An African or European swallow? Auuuuuuuugh. (There goes the bridge keeper)...

Cheers. :D
Gee your a funny bloke, rgn, yep, I want to hear more about the statement you made, I simply have a problem with uninformed opinion especially when it comes to Safety, but don't confuse this with me not wanting your opinion, I do.

I put forward the article about Humps because so much info that floats around is opinion based on hear say or advertising spin and not based in fact.

If you know of some specific info about this then I was suggesting you share it that's all.

Like Big Gaz said keep the info coming in we all need to learn.

I had never heard of the Safety angle to the Hump thing until I read it on some Forums, it was always Aero in my mind, but for an off the shelf set of Leathers, as opposed to very expensive, state of the art, custom made Moto GP Leathers that use the Hump as a place to store the propellant for the Air Bags in these Leathers, I am not convinced that there is any actual benefit to Aero or Safety.

I believe (that's an opinion) that they are nothing more than a fashion accessory, again I am referring to off the shelf Leathers.

The current rules allow a Hump in Partial Streamline classes, as most, not all Leathers have them then you can choose the Leathers that suit your needs.

I want to run in either Class so I got leathers without one.

I have been looking at the Leatt Brace but so far it is not really suited, apparently there is now a new version available, I want to check out.

thanks.

Pete
Last edited by AuotonomousRX on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

DLRA #866
Mossy

Post by Mossy »

A beer diet Mossy ?

No, I only drink fruit juice, mainly apple and grape, though it does have to be fermented :D

Cheers Mossy
DLRA # 959