Hi i'm new.

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

S-two

Hi i'm new.

Post by S-two »

Hi im Rob,
I'm in the design stage on building a h/bfl belly tank style lakester. I have already decided on fitting a turbo to the engine from a zzr1100. The body will be fiberglass with an outer lamination of carbon fiber. Now for the questions. 1the roll cage is a given thanks too the rule book but what about the basic frame that holds it in shape? 2 what is the best size wheel to use? And make (eg. Ford Holden). 3 the rules say that parashutes cant be faired into the body can aero dynamic cones be fitted to the tubes? And finaly the track bass on the car. How do i measure it? Do i measure from the back wheel to a diagonal front or is it the center of the rear to the fronts? Hope to be on track for speed week 2015 unless that seams too ambitious.
Rob
There is no such thing as too fast.
Dr Goggles

Re: Hi i'm new.

Post by Dr Goggles »

Hey Rob, good to have you aboard.

Good to see another tank being planned too. Have you been to a meet at Gairdner yet, or are you friends with some club members?

Are you a bike guy or just figuring that a bike motor is the size you want( good idea), my only sugestion is don't fall into the trap of "I used it because it was what I had. Make sure the motor you plan to use is good value for money, that parts aren't exorbitant or non existant. Pretty much everyone here knows that gig, you blow a shitload on something when you should have just had the one you thought was too exy in the first place.

Can you point me to the rule about not being able to fair the parachute into the body? That would make our car illegal.

Right now I have to run, but fill us in, good to see another specuial construction and we're all here to help.

DrG
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
S-two

Post by S-two »

I chose a bike motor for simplicity reasons and the zzr motor has a lot of spares locally. It's not a motor i had lying around i am still trying to sorce a good one from the wreckers. Pref with no more than around 5000 on the clock. The rule i stated was 4.cc.5 on page 32. I may have missunderstod it though.
Rob
ROSS BROWN

Post by ROSS BROWN »

Good choice of engine Rob
Good luck finding one with 5000 kms on it :shock:
I,m happy to find one that hasn't been apart..
Ross..
IT IS ALL A RACE AGAINST TIME.
TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE.

HOW FAST CAN YOU GO ?

S/UF 925
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Hi Rob,

it seems that rule is specifically about parachute tubes. Our chute lives in a bucket inside the tail under two doors.... Would have been a heartbreaker to have to just put it in a bag on top of the tail, from beautiful aero to drag city........
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
S-two

Post by S-two »

Could you send some pics on how you hid the shutes? If i can incorperate it into a p38 size tank then yay for me. Also saves a lot of heartache with trying to make tubes aero.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

If you have a look here ( http://twixt-two-wheels.jalbum.net/Spir ... 0Sunshine/) I think the third shot when we are in tech you can see the doors on top of the tail, then go back to the second shot and you can see the doors open when the car is in the trailer.....I often wonder whether we'd have been better to hinge a single door from the front, but this has worked so far....
S-two

Post by S-two »

Hmm. I think im going to have to rethink my entire rear end. I like the way you have compleatly hidden the shute.