Dust

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Stayt`ie

Dust

Post by Stayt`ie »

will be bringing the bike over in an enclosed trailer this year, and i seen somewhere on this site that pressurizing the trailer helps keep the dust out, how do i pressurize the trailer, :?:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
hawkwind

Re: Dust

Post by hawkwind »

Hi Ronnie ...easy mate use a good fan and blow the air in to the enclosed trailer not out of ......run it only when you are on the dirt :)...it creates a slight pressure differential between the air in the trailer and the ambient air outside ....also make sure the trailer enclosure is relativly air tight for best results cheers.
All the best to you for this year

Gary #282
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
mal hewett

Post by mal hewett »

Hey Ronnie , it doesnt need to be a powerfull fan ,just enough to slightly pressurize the trailer .Years ago I was lucky enough to find a blower from an underground loader with a filter and precleaner . Bit over the top but when you open the trailer and everything is as you packed it and dust free it is worth the effort .
Possible that a filtered airscoop on top of the roof will pressurise when your moving along ?.
Its been so dry here in south oz, gareenteed the road coming in to the Lake will be like talcum powder.
cheers mal
Mal Hewett
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Ron I did two things to fix the problem

I made sure the walls on the trailer have very little flex and I got this pop up vent from ARB http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-cano ... y-Vent.php

I mounted it with towards the front section of the trailer roof with the opening facing forward, then opened it at the start of the dirt and there was not a bit of dust inside the trailer :D :D , not like the first year :shock:

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
mal hewett

Post by mal hewett »

That Looks Ideal Pete and you dont need a power supply !!
Mal Hewett
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

thanks fellas,, was thinking off using a effing big fan, but, after seeing them doodums off Petes, too easy, i`ll get a cuppla them, 8) :D ,, seeya`s there,,
bevoracing

Post by bevoracing »

This one is great. Used them for years in rally cars & trailers.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pop-Up-Vent- ... 1c2faa8f07
VW Country Buggy King Pin, Link Pin & Spindle Overhauls. General Machining.
My car is KO813
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Don't forget to seal all the doors on the trailer with hardware store foam strip sealing tape, especially around the back door where the dust will really be swirling around. Raven brand make various types and sizes. That'll make it easier for the vent to pressurize the trailer and thus even harder for dust to sneak in. There may also be random holes and tiny gaps in places you don't expect. The easiest way to find them is to get in the trailer, close all the doors and look for light from outside. Maybe get a mate with a bright light to help you. Seal any you find and Bob's your uncle. Another tip: don't follow any cars along the dirt road, stay in clean air the whole time. That way you'll keep the dust out of your car and your face and the vent on the trailer roof will also be in the cleanest air possible. I wonder if having a bit of oiled filtering foam across the mouth of the vent would be worthwhile? Make sure you put the vent in a spot where there's likely to be positive air pressure and little or no dust.

Cheers
Dave
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

went lookin for our ARB store after work today, but thay have moved, so i stopped of at TJM an got a vent exactly the same as bevoracing suggested ($55.00), fit it in tomorrow, :D ,,
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Cookie (Recycled timer) and Mr Ullus (Chief Car steward) are at the DLRA camp as we speak "re hydrating" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The road in is good, keep in mind they are a couple of the first vehicles up there. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The road is also VERY DUSTY so drive with due care we don't want an incident like a couple of years ago when a racer slowed down for a grid, as you should, then got rammed up the back by some over exuberant wannabe and bent crap out of his race car.
Be Careful, get there in one peice :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: Save the racing for the race track, :roll: :roll:
Off soapbox now.
Drive Safely see ya there.
Cheers,
Trevor #298
zork

Post by zork »

The road out was a little dusty.Thanks everybody for a great week. Will be back much wiser and determined to crack WR for M/PG 750.
Attachments
Dirty Trident.jpg
Dirty Trident.jpg (74.75 KiB) Viewed 22272 times
RGV

Post by RGV »

Hey JD, it will take ya all year to get ya bike clean. :)

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF