GPS speeds. How does this work?

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

ChrisACT

GPS speeds. How does this work?

Post by ChrisACT »

Hi there,

The GPS track. What is it that the GPS unit records? Top speed? An average speed between two set GPS points? Is there a timed zone?

Are we simply trying to go as fast as possible for a moment or do we need to maintain a speed over a set distance like on the long track?

Thanks,
Chris
IN2VWS

Re: GPS speeds. How does this work?

Post by IN2VWS »

As far as I know, it is just the top speed.
This info is only useful to yourself, as no GPS speeds/records are recognised anywhere.
I would say the GPS track is good for your testing and tuning before you go out on the long track.
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

IN2VWS wrote:As far as I know, it is just the top speed.
This info is only useful to yourself, as no GPS speeds/records are recognised anywhere.
I would say the GPS track is good for your testing and tuning before you go out on the long track.
Except the class I'm racing in means I'll never get over 175mph (as far as I know the fastest ever speed in my class in the world is about 103mph). I'll never get onto the long track. So how are records "recorded" for these slower classes?
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

There is nothing from stopping you from going on the long track. You do not have to be a record breaking car to go on the long track.......hell, I am only chasing 82 mph, and I am going on the long track.
My car is involved in the VW World 36hp challenge. This involves using a stone stock 36hp VW engine, and seeing who goes the fastest. The yanks do not accept GPS speed, and require officially timed speeds like on the long track.
I can just picture everyone one cheering me on and waving as I go down the long course.......either that or they will be waving me to got off the track......either way I am going to have fun. :-)
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

The rules read differently:
2013 Rulebook wrote:1.F QUALIFYING:
To qualify for a record attempt, a vehicle shall exceed the existing record by at least .001 MPH. Only one
person is allowed in a vehicle during competition. The number of qualifying runs allowed each vehicle is
unlimited; however, any vehicle or driver considered by the Contest Board to be detrimental to the event
may be barred from the course at any time, see Section 1.L. All vehicles, except Streamliners, shall
exceed 175 MPH on the “short” or GPS course before competing on the “long” course.
Vehicles, which
have exceeded 175 MPH on the short course, may be timed through the full five miles of the “long”
course at the driver’s option. A vehicle must qualify for the long course in the SAME class in which it is
entered. Any vehicle may compete on the “short” course.
A vehicle will be considered as qualified at the completion of the first leg of the two-run record attempt.
The same driver/rider shall operate the vehicle for both halves of the record attempt for a record to be
valid. Except for Streamliners, record attempts against records of less than 175 MPH SHALL be made on
the short course regardless of previous vehicle performance.
NOTE: Classes with no listed record are considered as open. Record run procedures will be the same as
classes where a record exists.
My bike is not a streamliner. I'm going to compete in M/F 100cc.
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

The GPS track is 3 marked miles, start line to finish line with one mile of run off.
The GPS units are set to show top speed. How long it takes you to get to that speed and how long you stay there is entirely up to you.
You can use the GPS track for testing and tuning or licensing passes without tying up the long track for those that are attempting to set records.

When you present at the startline you are given a DLRA GPS unit.
(These have velcro on the back, the idea being vehicles have the opposing piece of velcro to make it stick)
You can put it in your pocket or under your suit, but most people like to put it somewhere they can see it.
When you return, the unit is collected, your member number and car number and speed are recorded and if that's the only speed you do for the week that's what will show in the results.
We only go to the nearest point 1 (0.0) of mph.

If you are doing a license run you need to tell the Chief Starter or his delegate before your run, because they will want to observe you on you run. To qualify for a run you not only have to do the speed, but also demonstrate that the driver and the car are capable of doing that speed and above safely. (See DLRA Rulebook 1.)M
If it was a licensing pass you then present your license to the Chief Starter to be signed. (Better to do it sooner rather than later, as starters do change shifts)

All rookie drivers will be limited to 125 MPH on their first run.
Where appropriate, the licensing run will include a parachute test. Where this applies, these will be conducted on category D passes and above
The categories are as follows:
Category E Current and valid state driver’s license
Category D 125 to 149 MPH
Category C 150 to 174 MPH
Category B 175 to 199 MPH
Category A 200 to 249 MPH
Category AA 250 to 299 MPH
Unlimited 300 MPH and faster

When you are ready to attempt for a record and you have the appropriate license you must go to the main track, this incorporates short (3 mile) and long (6mile) courses.
The first timing trap is at the 3 mile mark, if your vehicle or record is under 175mph, you must turn out before the 4 mile marker. (an exit lane will be marked)
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
IN2VWS

Post by IN2VWS »

ChrisACT, you are confusing the GPS course with the short course.
The short course is part of the long course. What that means is, if you are slower than 175 MPH, you turn off at the 4 mile mark instead of doing the full 8 miles.

The GPS course is a completely different track to the long/short course.
ChrisACT

Post by ChrisACT »

Ahhh ... NOW I geddit. :oops:

Thanks guys.

Chris.