Speed alert for licencing runs

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

JonB

Speed alert for licencing runs

Post by JonB »

Hi

After looking at licencing runs at speedweek i decided i wanted something easy to do licencing runs with that i did not have to look at but could monitor in peripheral vision.
I'm not having any gauges, just some idiot lights.

I contacted hummingbird electronics who make GPS based speed alerts and am getting a couple of their units custom programmed.
http://hmbe.com.au/products/gps-speed-alert

You set the bottom speed and when you reach that threshold the screen changes colour, when you go 10mph over that the screen flashes.
Say you were going for a 175 mph licence you would set it to 175, when you reach 175 the screen will change colour, when you get to 185mph the screen would flash colour.
Save trying to watch a speedo through the timed mile.

I'm not getting anything out of this, I've ordered and paid for mine, I just thought ithers may be interested, I know a couple of people had trouble with licencing passes as the overcooked there speeds or came up a bit short.
If you want one programmed the same just tell them you want the same as mine (Jon Bennett)
Cheers
jon
Last edited by JonB on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
DLRA
Site Admin

Re: Speed alert for licencing runs

Post by DLRA »

Like the idea very much.
Had some comments from riders and drivers this year that they could not read the display and they had no idea how fast they were going due to inaccurate tacho/speedo, wheel slip etc.
Only hitch for sharing a unit is that they don't seem to have an internal battery?
Or did I miss that bit?

As I tried to explain to many rookies the purpose of the licensing system is for the rider/driver to demonstrate to officials that they can control their vehicle at a given speed (less than full power) and it also gives them an opportunity to become familiar with starting line procedure, course navigation and shutdown procedure before attempting any serious runs.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

Good thinking - maybe also a phone app could work - just set the "road" speed limit to 175mph and position a "speed camera" on the map ;) E.g. something like http://www.trapster.com/devices/android/. That would be a work around however I am sure there would be apps about that just generate an audible warning.

I am testing out this http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome at Phillip Island so I'll test out the voice speed readings and report back.
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
Rob

Post by Rob »

Looks like a good idea to me, will it also record max speed Jon?

I'd experimented with setting all 6 fields to maximum speed to see if it helped anyone but most seemed to be using their tacho and guesstimating.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
zork

Post by zork »

Yeah good thinkin 99 and maybe the buzzer can go via an ear plug to give the audible warning.
JonB

Post by JonB »

Hi

No battery but it would be pretty easy to put a plug in each vehicle that you wanted to use it in, probably go with something a bit better than a cig lighter though.

No recording of top speed, just speed display and alert.

Cheers
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
rgn

Post by rgn »

I have one of these. No data logging or speed alert, but it has a good sized easy to read face and a internal rechargeable battery through USB. Battery will last all day prior to recharge being needed.

It's a very well made unit and was accurate when we compared it to other devices. We ground the back of ours flat and applied Velcro to it, though it does come with a windscreen suction cup mount. It could easily be swapped from vehicle to vehicle.

Rookie runs would have been extremely difficult without it. Very happy with this little unit.

This is who I bought it off, 4 days to get here from the UK!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 821wt_1277
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

internetscooter wrote:
I am testing out this http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com/welcome at Phillip Island so I'll test out the voice speed readings and report back.
Tried on the way to work.This is no good as it only talks at each lap and stays silent in a straight line.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... eedo&hl=en This is free - has speed alarm and reads out speeds as you go. The only issue was that is seemed to be random when it talked. Maybe it will talk at significant speed channges and if you are accelerating talk every second.

So there is also a free solution for people that have a smart phone ;)
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
JonB

Post by JonB »

Just got an email back from the manufacturer, they are modifying the code so that it captures maximum speed.

You will be able to view it and reset it from the menu buttons.

Thanks for the pointer Rob.

They will have custom units available.

Cheers
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
Rob

Post by Rob »

Cheers Jon,

That would make it an excellent unit for our purposes.
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
momec3

Post by momec3 »

The audible ear piece idea might work with a small bike or quiet motor but open exhausts with a big motor you won't hear it.

Chris
Chris