Dumb Americans Need answers....

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

landracing

Dumb Americans Need answers....

Post by landracing »

Yeah now that I have your attention first beer is on me... None of the piss beer either... We newby americans need some simple questions answered for a plan to come over in March .

1. Some of the proposed bikes used ice intercoolers. Is there ice available by ice machine or bags on the salt? If Ice machine is there what is the output. Several bikes,. maybe car, could use up to 15 bags of ice per run..... Some 5 bags (5lb bags), some 10 bags.

2. What type of fuel is available. Something that will need to be shipped over, or can buy on salt? Or can buy on the way out. Who makes and what types of fuels.

3. Can you get us in direction of renting RV. Where and who.....

4. For myself I assume our stupid cell phone will not work in the great outback of yours. So Internet connection will be an obsticle I will try to achieve. And ideas? Does Direct TV work in Australia??? Anybody have it??? Satelight phones???

Any help on these to start and I will post as I think of stuff to prepare...

Jonathan Amo
aka Landracing.com
http://www.landracing.com
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Hey Jon
Be good if you can make it !

There has been an ice maker at the lake but i'm not sure of its capacity

Pump petrol here is a max of 98 ron , better fuel is availible from the likes of VPW http://www.vpw.com.au/category.asp?CatI ... iorCatID=6
Sometimes a leaded fuel permit/licence is required to buy leaded fuel
Alky from Shell or Mobil depo's(the sort of thing i could go into town and buy now but trying to find a source for you on route via the shell website has left me with a headache)

Which city are you flying in to ?What sort of RV would suit

Sat phone is the only real contact from there
hawkwind racing

say wot

Post by hawkwind racing »

Jon ,joe (your bro) has been in touch with similar questions , so here goes
1.Ice at the lake ,the DLRA has an ice maker it was susposed to be running last year but was'nt finished on time ,there is a working bee in Dec and hopefully it will be running .as to its output ?? I will get in touch with DLRA to find out more about it :) another option is to bring in what you need , but the amount you require ,im not sure we have sufficient freezer space to store it , I will find out more about our freezer facilities and get back in touch .
2.Fuel ,we do not have a vendor on site and you need to bring in what ever you need , we can get basically what ever you blokes can over there ,if you get me a list of your requirements IE quantity and type I can arrange to have it ready for you , I have a leaded gas permit ,VP is the easyest for me to procure , I can purchase Methanol in 44 gal drums at a good price as well ( I use alky) ,also if anyone is using nitrous I can get what ever amount you need ,but be prepared to pay a lot more for fuel over here :wink:
3. We have all the major rental companies so getting a car should be no problem , I would suggest a motorhome would be a better choice, if you let me know which city you are flying into I can get some prices and other info :)
4.Jon at the lake only phones that work are satalite I carry one with me ,also you can rent them I believe , there is also an emergency satalite at the camp ,if you can rig up your pc through a satalite phone you will have contact with where ever you like what do you mean by direct TV ??

any help I or the DLRA members can assist you with ,feel free to ask away , hope it all works out :D
Gary (hawkwind racing)
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
hawkwind racing

ice making

Post by hawkwind racing »

Jon ,I made some enquiries about the ice machine , we apprently had one up and running last march and hopefully will have another on line for next march ,but I will only know early Jan , but it is a prority
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
Scott Guthrie

Post by Scott Guthrie »

:D
Last edited by Scott Guthrie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Sultan of Speed"
258 MPH @ Bonneville,
251.148 MPH, @ Goliad Motorcycle track record
242 MPH @ Maxton,
215 MPH "naked"
200 official timeslips at over 200 MPH, on 10 bikes, and in 3 cars!
SPOOK

D/A needs answers.

Post by SPOOK »

I too am concerned about the temperature effecting the fuel during the long wait prior to the start. The hotter the fuel the less speed. I was tossing around ideas with mates on how to cool the fuel with ice when one guy suggested the best medium is 'dry' ice because you use less for the same effect, it will last a lot longer in the cooler and it melts to co2 and no messy water residue. What do you think fellas, good idea or not,? Cheers Russell.
Scott Guthrie

Post by Scott Guthrie »

Last edited by Scott Guthrie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Sultan of Speed"
258 MPH @ Bonneville,
242 MPH @ Maxton,
215 MPH "naked"
Greg Watters

motor home hire

Post by Greg Watters »

Scott a google search shows a good range of options .http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&c ... re&spell=1

One thing to ask when contacting them would be there policy regarding non paved roads , most will only hire 4wd vehicles at a much higher cost for dirt roads.
Scott Guthrie

Post by Scott Guthrie »

Last edited by Scott Guthrie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Sultan of Speed"
258 MPH @ Bonneville,
242 MPH @ Maxton,
215 MPH "naked"
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Scott , you will also need to ascertain whether or not the motorhomes come equiped with a towing hitch / towbar in order to pull a trailer. Most rental cars and motorhomes dont.
The dirt road clause as mentioned by Greg needs to be looked into also as noted
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice