the post your "offerings to the gods of speed" thread

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

NMBRPL8

the post your "offerings to the gods of speed" thread

Post by NMBRPL8 »

I searched and couldnt find a thread on here, hope i have it in the right section; I cant believe this forum doesnt have a thread for folks to post some carnage pictures from their speed attempts, or as Burt put it 'offerings to the gods of speed'
So im starting one, dont have my photos on hand at the moment but if i make the thread hopefully others will pitch in their photos, i have seen some thorugh the other threads so lets link them all together here
Brootal

Re: the post your "offerings to the gods of speed" thread

Post by Brootal »

Awesome idea!

I don't have too much to offer (that I have pics of anyway) but here's some custom made valve reliefs I created with my old AMC 290 motor. It was bored out 0.125" to accept 307 Chevy pistons and had heads off a 343 AMC (2.02 intake). You can quite clearly see how much bigger that is than a standard 307 valve. :lol:

When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
Redmohawk

Post by Redmohawk »

Havent bothered to take many photos of stuff I break (it happens all to often) This was the result of the last BIG woops

momec3

Post by momec3 »

Good thread,

Funny I just had to watch "the movie" last night. I know I have to make an alter to put all my sacrifices in one place.
Posting pics of our major failures is akin to gamblers admitting their losses hence it hasn't happened yet.

It hurts a bit to admit we have had failures but the flip side is if we don't break stuff we aren't trying hard enough, may as well be racing automatic Hyundais

Chris
Chris
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Don't even want to start on stuff pre landspeed , sometimes i'm a slow learner

SCTA Speedweek 09

NMBRPL8

Post by NMBRPL8 »

momec3 wrote:Good thread,

Funny I just had to watch "the movie" last night. I know I have to make an alter to put all my sacrifices in one place.
Posting pics of our major failures is akin to gamblers admitting their losses hence it hasn't happened yet.

It hurts a bit to admit we have had failures but the flip side is if we don't break stuff we aren't trying hard enough, may as well be racing automatic Hyundais

Chris

Interesting notion, that there is some stigma of shame or failure from breaking parts? I certainly don't think that way, as you said if you aren't breaking parts you're not trying hard enough :) Just means you found the next weakest link and know what to upgrade next. Now say you left a rod bolt loose or something, thats another matter. But parts letting go while attempting to go ever faster, its just part of the game is it not? :)

Stupid me forgot to take any photos of my stash at the workshop, next week then. I will pop out to the shed later and grab one of my XS1100 barrels, the rod decided it wanted freedom and jumped out through the cylinder wall and the cases lol
dplecko

Post by dplecko »

Keeping the connection between brain and throttle is sometimes difficult:

boyracer

Post by boyracer »

We used to have a great wall of shame at Bike Factory ducati shop in Adelaide.
Nothing to add but a funny story i recall.

A Speedcar racer was killing it in a race, leading, then flame went out. He coasts to infield and sits out the race. When the car was pushed back to pits someone asked what went wrong?
"Plug lead came off" was the reply.
" but that shouldn't stop it " says bystander.

"Thats what i thought too... do you reckon the 'rod that knocked it off might be the culprit?"
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!