Fuel Line

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

melburgorbust

Fuel Line

Post by melburgorbust »

Hi All,

I'm in the process of makign sure our 2 bikes are ready for racing and meet all the required regulations. 'Fire resistant or fireproof' fuel line is required, can anyone suggest where to get this in small motorcycle sizes? say 1/4"?
https://www.facebook.com/suusdesign
gennyshovel

Re: Fuel Line

Post by gennyshovel »

Just use a firesleeve over fuel line (NOT clear plastic)
EG-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Speedflow-Fi ... 19e775e214
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
GSUZ

Post by GSUZ »

As gennyshovel said the fire proof sleeve is the best way to go and is available at most auto stores in a range of sizes.
You only need the fire proof sleeve if you plan to run in fuel classes.
We will usually carry some in the pits or at tech.
Cheers, Shane #805
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

I just spent a day going to a number of different auto shops. AUTO Barn was the winner for the fire proof sleeve. Comes in a number of sizes and is soft enough so not to bend fuel lines if you have a corner. For our 3/8 fuel line we use number 8
Motorcycle Racer Lake Gairdner & Bonneville.

DLRA, SCTA & AMA record borrower
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

melburgorbust wrote:Hi All,

I'm in the process of makign sure our 2 bikes are ready for racing and meet all the required regulations. 'Fire resistant or fireproof' fuel line is required, can anyone suggest where to get this in small motorcycle sizes? say 1/4"?
I can't see anything about Gas or Fuel Class, the way I read this it's any Fuel/Gas Lines that cannot be shut off that must be Fire Resistant or Fireproof.

7.B.25 Fuel Systems:
The complete fuel system shall be well constructed and securely mounted. The fuel fill cap/cover shall fit
securely.

All non-valve portions of fuel or gas lines (including saddle tank crossover lines), shall have fireresistant
or fireproof connecting lines and fittings.
Aero/quip fire sleeve cover meets this requirement.

Plastic fuel lines are not permitted, except certified clear fuel lines, clearly marked on the fuel line by the
manufacturer as for fuel application. A metal clamp shall be on each connection of flexible fuel line.
Nitrous Oxide cylinders or any other type of oxidizer cylinder are considered the same as fuel tanks.

It makes sense on Bikes that are modified to have all the connecting lines and fittings on your Bike fireresistant or fireproof, but the way I read the Rules, it is not Class Dependent.

The requirements for Fuel Shut Off are Class Dependent.

Pete :D
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
BONES

Post by BONES »

Fire retardant fuel line is for ALL classes.
Like the battery box and clamp--- MUST be made of metal. Most OEM battery boxes DO NOT pass for any class
Bones
internetscooter

Post by internetscooter »

BONES wrote: Like the battery box and clamp--- MUST be made of metal. Most OEM battery boxes DO NOT pass for any class
Bones
Bugger missed that one - thanks! Is there any pre-inspection day planned for Melbourne/Vic before the event?
Paul
---
DLRA #647
89.664 mph (aiming for 100mph+)
www.vespalabs.org
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

It was brought up at the General Meeting the other week Paul, but after last year when Norm opened his shop and several inspectors making themselves available only one car turning up, there would have to be a considerable interest before we'd do that again.
There was a show of hands asked for at the meeting, I'm pretty sure there was no one at the meeting wanting an inspection done.
Graham Hadley is over your neck of the woods if you're keen.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

Re battery boxes, we are running a Lithium-Ion 12v battery. This is a dry cell sealed unit (like a RC Car has). This surely does not require a metal battery box. The battery rule must refer to liquid filled batteries, is this correct.

JP
Motorcycle Racer Lake Gairdner & Bonneville.

DLRA, SCTA & AMA record borrower
rgn

Post by rgn »

jpbyron wrote:Re battery boxes, we are running a Lithium-Ion 12v battery. This is a dry cell sealed unit (like a RC Car has). This surely does not require a metal battery box. The battery rule must refer to liquid filled batteries, is this correct.JP
7.8.26 says "All batteries"

The rule is probably more about preventing batteries flying around when your bike is end to ending at 150 mph, causing the battery to breaking loose, shorting out causing the ruptured fuel tank to explode! They can create sparks, so they are best secured. Cheers,
Ralph

EDIT: The rule requirement isn't asking for a metal "battery box" as such, only metal hold downs, framework and fasteners. The ZX-14 we raced last year was particularly problematic in relation to the rule as the oem battery was enclosed in a plastic box that slid into the frame. We elected to go lithium ion as well, and came up with this. (see below). We didn't have much time, so it's rough, but conformed with the rules. Last thing anyone would want is to put in all that effort, and to have to come home without a run because your vehicle didn't comply.

melburgorbust

Post by melburgorbust »

Here's our steel battery bracket, hopefully it is found suitable.
https://www.facebook.com/suusdesign