For US visitors, an Aussie beer guide.

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

I heard a story years ago about 2 blokes in Albury. One drank Fosters, the other Tooheys, and they argued constantly about which was the better beer. Finally, another drinker there suggested they send some to a laboratory to settle it. They agreed to this, but then argued about the state the lab would be in. They finally agreed to send the samples to a New Zealand lab. The lab, after testing the samples, sent a detailed scientific report the which the Albury blokes found hard to fathom. So the just looked at the summary, which recommended both horses be put down.
Stephen
weezilco

Post by weezilco »

I lived in the US for 34 years and have been in Aus for 11+ years. I'm a citizen of both and am thus qualified as a beer expert in both places. Right? :D

American and Aus beer both suck rocks, but Aus beer sucks somewhat less.

Go to Germany or Belgium if you want lager.

Stout comes from Ireland, and no place else, far as I'm aware. I'd happily have the foam off a fresh pulled pint o' Guinness with a spoon and leave the rest. :lol: yummm.
Flat Lizard Racing - 50cc motorcycle WLSR

Brian - DLRA #409 - Blue Mountains, NSW
Dr Goggles

In the dark......

Post by Dr Goggles »

hey Weezil
you might want to try either Coopers stout or In my opinion even better CUB's Invalid Stout which when the weather's cold I don't mind drinking at room temperature....It's just my opinion but Guinness ain't bitter enough since they changed the recipe to be more in line with the Irish one....years ago it used to be 7.2% here( I think when Tooheys made it) , now, that was a beer that got a job done in a hurry :shock:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
weezilco

Re: In the dark......

Post by weezilco »

Dr Goggles wrote:CUB's Invalid Stout

Hey, that might be just the thing for me. I'm not an invalid but my legs don't work worth a damn. Do they have any 'disabled' stout? :lol:
Flat Lizard Racing - 50cc motorcycle WLSR

Brian - DLRA #409 - Blue Mountains, NSW
fredeuce

Beer Guide

Post by fredeuce »

Coopers Stout is a wonderful winter drop. Made right here in SA . World class!

I suppose if you drink enough of it it will turn you into an invalid too! :wink:
fredeuce
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

As i said in my post months ago, Coopers Coopers summer and winter, all the while,
I agree with FiremanJim, Beer in a can is disgusting, spesh the rudy blue cans "F' is for Frofy...
Every time i venture into Adelaide there is always a pit stop at the Belgium beer garden, for a special treat, mmm mm..
I heard a rumour a while ago the Coopers and Budweiser had done a deal to make one an others products or import for each other,,
What we should do is every one should bring beer from where ever in the world they come from to the lake and we can have a Beer appreciation night
or just get pissed for something diffrent.
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

I'm with you Dirtington! :D
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

All for one & One for all Trev.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
Rocky R

Aussie Beer Guide

Post by Rocky R »

In 2000 when we made the trek across the pond, we did a very scientific study while marooned in Adelaide for 2 days with not much to do. We had the barkeep bring out one of every beer they had. We sampled, we drank, we got drunk. One of our crew did a walkabout and didn't stop until he came across a bar called the Booze Brothers.

Our beer of choice was Coopers in the red label. The green was a close second. VB was okay, but it's like Budweiser back home. If everybody's drinking it, where's the adventure. Still not sure about the floaties in the bottom though.

Tell you one thing, we had a great time there and I wish I could get the Ack team to go back.

Rocky Robinson
www.rocky-robinson.com
The last time I raced down under, they had to shoo a kangaroo off the course! Hope to come back someday. Great fun!
fredeuce

Re: Aussie Beer Guide

Post by fredeuce »

Rocky R wrote:
Our beer of choice was Coopers in the red label. The green was a close second. VB was okay, but it's like Budweiser back home. If everybody's drinking it, where's the adventure. Still not sure about the floaties in the bottom though.

Say no more! That settles it, Coopers wins :!: :!:

As for the "floaties" which I assume to mean the sediment in the bottom, simply gently invert the stubby to disperse the "vegemite" and then return and open.

Should be "cloudy but fine" regardless of what the weather is doing! :wink:
fredeuce
Dr Goggles

he's right both times

Post by Dr Goggles »

You know Fred Rocky's even more corrector than you think...or is that even righter than you reckon .....Coopers is the beer I buy when I haven't got the guilts about sending money offshore to Adelaide , otherwise it's Melbourne Bitter....But the main point is ....there's nothing to do in Adelaide :lol: :lol: :lol:......I reckon when he says " not much to do " he was already including sleep , scratch himself , um , look out the window...drum fingers on the table , watch Geelong slaughter Power.... :wink:

....not trying to start a war or nothin'........
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

BEER , nah . I just been to the Barossa Valley wine area . Under guidence from resident wine consultant Mr Dirty Dave , I have now become a wine expert and conosiour after a whole 2 days there . Yes they have red and white wine you know . Some of those shiraz wines and others I tried and tried and tried and bought are seriously good .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

Speaking of this year's event being cancelled, we wound up carting most of our budgeted half a pallet of Carlton back home.

A couple of days camping on the coast put a bit of a dent in it.
Then we ran into The Dirty in Gawler. A couple of fantastic days in the Barossa resulted in four dozen bottles of SA wine added to the load. Thanks again Dirtster. Just couldn't seem to lighten the truck. I learned to appreciate a fine Shiraz though.

If you're in for a session, what'ya use for a straightener?
Mine's a Wild Turkey & Dry. Ratio: one for every four or five beers.

PS. Abbotsford Invalid Stout is brilliant for Black and Tans.

<< edit: hey Don, our posts must have bumped into each other... and similar topics. I need a beer! >>
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
fredeuce

Post by fredeuce »

DON NOBLE wrote:BEER , nah . I just been to the Barossa Valley wine area . Under guidence from resident wine consultant Mr Dirty Dave , I have now become a wine expert and conosiour after a whole 2 days there . Yes they have red and white wine you know . Some of those shiraz wines and others I tried and tried and tried and bought are seriously good .

Embarrassing really, the best beer and the best wine. 8)

Goggles, I'll see you a Brewery and raise you a Winery or three. :)

Just don't mention the Grand Prix or convicts ! :wink: :wink:
fredeuce
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Coopers is the Beers of choice in the Valley,
Most Winemakers here are screaming alco's If they haven't got a Big red wine smile they've got a Red Coopers ( Sparkling Ale ) in their hand, AKA Red Devil's.

My Tip is Don't tip the Red ones as I enjoy the Change of flavour as you drink more, every bottle comes with free desert,,

As for weary Travellers, some might know of my recent adventures in life that required me to relocate from my last abode,

Today I purchased a block of land not far from the Valley and would be a good Stop over for some of my Drinking Buddies, ( that's anyone who likes to drink and tell lies about race cars and women, ) I will be in the process of building in the coming months but it would take the load off of a long trip to or from Mexico..
Contact me if you wish to stop past, as it would cut out going through Adelaide as-well,,cheers