Bike engine classes

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

walkingpace

Bike engine classes

Post by walkingpace »

First post in a long time after abandoning an attempt at a building a streamliner a few years ago...(I blame financial circumstances but turns out I was not prepared for the sheer size of the task :oops: )

Anyway, that has all resolved now and I still have a heap of cool bits and pieces (well, cool to me anyway) sitting in the garage so it's time to think about going fast again. I have been working feverishly on a motorcycle that includes a heavily modified holden 253 V8 mounted sideways in a custom built frame with a direct drive through a clutch on a jackshaft. My intention was to drag race it however it seems it runs afoul of the rules for that kind of thing so I though perhaps I could re-enliven my dream to run on the salt.

The DLRA rulebook confuses me a little though. All the engine classes for motorcycles make some kind of reference to a "motorycle" engine, which I assume means this is where the engine must have origniated. The only exception is for streamliners where it is specified that any engine using the otto cycle may be used in streamliner category only.

I was thinking of building the bike with partial streamlining but leaving it still a 'sit on' motorcycle and it would seem there isn't a class for this if I read the book correctly. Oddly enough there is provision for APS bikes to run in the Omega class so if I understand correctly it could run with a helicopter turbine but not a car engine? :shock:

One thing that makes me think I may have this wrong is the V8 bike of Chris Fraser which ran in 2004 and 2005. I don't know if it posted a record in a class or was run for 'time only' however this same provision relating to unlimited otto cycle engines was in place back then too.

ANYWAY- sorry for the length but my question is
Can a motorcycle powered by a pushrod V8 engine from a car run on the salt at all, and can it post a record in a class??

As always any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
grumm441

Re: Bike engine classes

Post by grumm441 »

Hi Walkingpace
there is currently no class for a motorcycle with a car engine
It could run in Time Only as long as it complies with the rules regarding safety
As a time only vehicle it would be given a speed but no record would be recorded
Chris Frasers bike would also now be a time only bike
G
They make it
I make it work
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

At the 2000 event Lyndon Cooper rode Luckie's 'Liner to 204mph with a 302 Ford motor in there, also had a plastic picnic chair and lap/sash seatbelt :roll: , thank god we are operating under different rules today, :D
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Time only will do me. Not overly concerned with accolades. Just want to ride the thing.

Is there an SFI spec for the picnic chair...

Thanks for the guidance.
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

I would like someone to look at it before you bring it to make sure it complies with the safety rules
Graham
They make it
I make it work
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

I'll definitely be aiming for some sort of pre inspection before the event. It's an awful long way for me to tow out there only to be told I'ved screwed something up. Till then I'll keep building with one eye on the rulebook. It still has a ways to go before it's complete and I'm currently working on a second frame cos I'm not quite happy with the first one. Think the wheelbase is too short at 1600mm with too much weight on the back wheel. I fear I might have made a two wheeled pendulum :shock:

Righto then, back to the shed...
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Here's a couple of pics just to give some idea of what I'm doing. Just to be clear I don't expect anyone to assess the safety of the design from these pics. Just posting in case anyone is interested.

The new design is a little lighter in construction but includes a custom steel intake manifold which a short backbone bolts up to for increased rigidity. The manifold is currently in the early stages of construction and is a bit of a slow process.
RGV

Post by RGV »

Going to be a long reach to the bars?

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

It is on that frame. Bit shorter than your average drag bike reach once the risers are on there but not ideal for direction changes. That also will be altered slightly on the new frame.

I tend to build two of everything. First go is to learn about all the stuff I did wrong. Second one is for racin :D
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

I'm just not seeing any pictures
G
They make it
I make it work
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Oops

Blasted electronic interweb. Is that better?
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

EJ Potter (aka The Michigan Madman) would have loved it. I don't have any problem with it either. We should have classes for things like this and Dion's trike too. Just because the SCTA doesn't is no reason for us not to. It would be fun to watch and listen to as it disappeared over the horizon.

Here he is looking for all the world like Toad from American Graffiti:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ej+po ... .com%25252

Just in case you were wondering, he died of old age.

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
RGV

Post by RGV »

Boss Hoss has been making bikes in the states with V8 engines for a while. Some with Nascar Engines i believe.

Dave

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
grumm441

Post by grumm441 »

I had a ride of one of them things a year or two ago
It put me off building a V8 bike for the street
Now if you had a Boss Hoss, that could possibly even run in production depending on how many they made
G
They make it
I make it work
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

There's a few production V8's around including the Barbarian which is aussie made. Apparently the hoss is a little ill tempered at high speed though.

EJ potter's bikes have served as significant inspiration thanks to their proven ability to do 150mph plus (superhuman rider aside). There were a bunch of other V8 drag bikes built in the 60's and 70's too, some awesome, some downright dangerous.