Bike engine classes

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

walkingpace

Re: Bike engine classes

Post by walkingpace »

This is my personal favorite. It used a aluminium frame which was bolted together rather than welded ( :shock: ) and apparently had a clutch inside the rear wheel which I've never been able to figure out.
harky

Post by harky »

Some of the bikes in those pictures look ssssssssscary
The last picture is most likely a centrifical clutch , sort of over size chain saw / mini bike , would allow an " easy " progressive take off
Now let's get an all alloy eg Toyota V8 grafted between 2 wheels
Should start a discussion with the people who have gone " fast " naked , seems holding / staying on is more of an issue than a lot of us realise
Keep the thread going , there hasn't been a lot to read lately
harky
:D
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

I saw EJ Potter ride his Bike at Surfers Paradise Ampol New Year Drag Series in 1969 .....

It was direct drive .... He would put the Bike on a stand .... start it up .... hold it flat and rock it off the stand and smoke the tyre for the entire 1/4 Mile ..... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

I thought about going naked but figured it would be way too dicey (plus not even the missus wants to see that). I'm leaning towards a full fairing and luckily for me my brother is somewhat of a legend with fibreglass.

I found this concept drawing for a Burt Munro tribute bike that Indian made. It would need blisters on the sides for the primary drive and water pump and I was thinking it could use exhaust outlets on the sides like a WWII fighter

David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Don't use an original water pump, use a remote electric one, that will save you having to put an extra bubble in that beautiful shape. The less lumps and bumps, the faster it will go. The longer wheelbase won't hurt either.

Cheers
Dave :mrgreen:
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

a naked bike handles better than faired :wink: ,, resistance on your body, particularly the helmet is the challenge, :twisted:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
BONES

Post by BONES »

I guess I am the one who will be the first to inspect this .
Walkingpace could I ask you NOT to grind any of the welding on the bike.
I would like to see it with NO prettying up.
I am on the north side of Sydney. Where on the central coast are you?

You are welcome to call if you like. 02 94984124- a/h- best. or 0413833891
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Bones, I am at Wamberal, just north of terrigal.

Understood regarding no grinding of welds and no prettying up. Do you need to see it unpainted or is a coat of black ok? The reason I ask is I am quite close to the beach and steel here gets a nasty brown crust on it at a phenomenal rate if left in the air. I'll even settle for a temporary coat of clear if that is acceptable. I could oil it instead but it makes painting it later a real bastard.

My intention is to get the engine built, finish the new frame, and then have an initial inspection on the soundness of the roller before moving on to the real fiddly bits.
BONES

Post by BONES »

Hey wp
Can I suggest you don't spend too much on the engine until you know that you can run it. Unless you have another use for it.
Graham still has to run this past the committee and get the OK.
Don't forget tire speed rating.
I don't mind a bit of paint as long as I can see the welds

You know you will go faster with a motorcycle engine :-)

cheers Bones
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

Thanks Bones,

At the very least I need to have the block and heads milled so that I can then complete the manifold which is an attachment point for the frame. Quite a bit has to come off the decks to suit the piston and rod combination I'm using and I have a bunch of Hilborn Mechanical injection stuff lying around so I was planning on milling the heads quite a bit to suit methanol. If I build the frame with the engine how it is, everything will move later and then it won't fit. If in the end the bike can't be run it will probably end up on display in the man cave and I'm sure I can think of some way to re purpose the engine :twisted:

I wholeheartedly agree that a stock busa motor would probably be WAAAAY easier...and cheaper... and quite a bit faster... but I like to do things that are a little strange just for the hell of it. Plus I've had a thing for V8 bikes since I was a kid.
Vinsky

Post by Vinsky »

TRUTH lives. Built in 1958 and drag raced until around 1962 with speeds up to 162. It has a CAE in-out gearbox and a torque converter inside the wheel.
Engine is a 283, bored and stroked to 360 and ran on alky. I've owned it for several years and recently sold it to the son of the guy who built it. You may see it at a dragstrip again soon to make some exibition runs.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/y ... directlink
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

That thing is awesome. By far the most beautiful V8 bike ever constructed in my eyes.

As far as that torque converter is concerned did it use an engine driven pump for the fluid or was it a sealed unit? I've also heard the rear wheel was off an aircraft of some kind with a kind of freewheeling hub arrangement which is partly how they got the drive to work. I don't suppose you could confirm that?

Would be absolutely awesome to see it run and I'm very happy to hear it is back with the builders family.
Vinsky

Post by Vinsky »

The torque convertor was a modified sealed unit. It wouldn't lock up at idle. The CAE in-out gearbox made it possible to start it while disengaged.
The rear wheel is an aircraft wheel but don't know from which one.
I found the bike when I was looking for that Vincent front end that came off a drag bike I restored. The guy used the steering head and forks off
the Vincent, which happened to be a Black Lightning. Since the steering head numbers matched the engine numbers I had to get it back. It took a couple of years before I made the deal.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/k ... directlink
walkingpace

Post by walkingpace »

I often wondered why the front end was changed. It did look amazing with the vincent forks on there though. The frame I'm working on now is quite a bit closer to the one on TRUTH as opposed to the previous attempt where the engine sat on top.
Vinsky

Post by Vinsky »

This photo shows how the cradle frame runs through the oil pan just clear of the main bearing caps. This helps getting the engine lower.
truth.jpg
truth.jpg (143.81 KiB) Viewed 89822 times