Motorcycle build 250 tips

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

D Robinson

Re: Motorcycle build 250 tips

Post by D Robinson »

Thanks Brad for clarifying. I was getting confused between 'gasoline' and 'fuel'. Also been looking at Bonneville bikes that seems to be working on different rules. Standard In line gasoline petcock valve and cut off lanyard sounds good.

* 7D3 says the max overbore is .508mm. I was planning .5mm so my interpretation is this is ok to stay in the 250 modified gasoline class. Am i reading this right?

* Tyre pressure. What's the guidance here. Road pressures (taking into consideration ambient temperatures on the day?). My 'H' tyres are nominally 40PSI.

* Are open pipes ok?. The rules seem to be silent on this.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers

Darren
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Pump them donuts up real hard, and put the biggest, loudest meggie on there mate, we gotta drown out the two smokers , :lol: :lol:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
psteck727

Post by psteck727 »

727 will be there for 2017 racing a 250 rg 2 stroker just having a go / remember if your not having a bit of faith and fun your not trying hard enough :roll: :roll:
Stecky #727 Z500
2009 = 124.739
Sean #836 RG250
Brad #896 Z500 ??

www.zownerssa.com
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Darren,
Have you contacted the Chief Motorcycle Inspector yet? If not I strongly recommend it because the questions you are asking and highly technical and will have a significant affect upon the class you want to run.
For all contact details go to http://www.dlra.org.au/contacts.htm
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
D Robinson

Post by D Robinson »

Thanks Ed,
I've been in contact with Graham.
Cheers
D Robinson

Re: Motorcycle build 250 photos

Post by D Robinson »

Hi all, been a month since last post.
Been finishing a custom cafe racer (red/white). Some pics that some may find of interest in the link below.

Also been working on the salt racer. See link for bike as i got it from a swap meet - very sad. Just so folks know what a 1981 XT250 looks like!!

You'll also see the first mock up of frame just before i attack it with a gas axe. The front shocks will be shortened, rear end converted to hard tail, frame lowered, cowl added.

I've worked the engine head (ported, o.s. piston, etc.) and have wheels, forks, accessories painted. Got a dampener also.

I've gone for 21' front & rear wheels for that flat track racer look -modified the rear hub to fit a second front rim.

Progressing ok.

Cheers
Darren

http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/darre ... slideshow/
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

Welcome Darren
Is that powder coating you have used on the XT head & barrel ? Remember, we race in 40 degree + temps
!9" rear huh ? have you researched 19" H rated rear tyre availability (unless the tyre you choose is suitable for front or rear use (you must provide documentation that it us @ scrutineering) and is 10 years or less since it was made.
Your final gearing will need to be lowered to compensate for the larger tyre diameter also,
Also, remember the maximum allowed over bore of .020", or will running against 350's
Be careful with porting, The Japs know their stuff when it comes to intake port velocity, you can get away with de-burring the imperfections, but be carefull,,,,
Lastly, cam & pipe it to be happy @ 9,000 rpm
Tiny
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
D Robinson

Post by D Robinson »

Thanks for the comments Tiny,
The head and barrel are hi temp wrinkle paint. That bike (red & white) is for the street.

Yeh, gearing is a little mysterious - i've read lots of different recommendations and used a bunch of calculators. So i'm taking a few different options.

Cheers
Darren