Travel from WA

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

GrantO

Travel from WA

Post by GrantO »

Hi guys and girls. Me and a mate are planning on going next year. Is there a short cut across if coming from WA rather than going all the way to iron knob.
And would anybody heading out from west aus mind if we meet up and follow you over.
Thanks in advance.
Grant..
Cookey

Re: Travel from WA

Post by Cookey »

Hi Grant,
Depending on how good you are at navigating through outback roads you can cut it shorter but the run in from Kimba is quite good.
A few teams coming up to the Lake from the East use it as there tends to be less dust and you can top up fuel and supplies in Kimba.
Google Kimba to Mt.Ive on Whereis.com and you will see the route, however there is a short cut in this track that doesn't show up on the web.
I will look at my maps and send a copy to you.
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

[quote="Cookey"]
there tends to be less dust .

" less dust" :?: , :lol:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Cookey means 9 tons ingested per km instead of 10 the other way. :)
Chris
dplecko

Post by dplecko »

Here is a mud map via Minnipa. Apparently it's missing a triple caution right hand turn...but so long as you have reasonable brakes you won't get lost. There has to be a very good reason for us to stop at road roadhouses that don't serve high flow diesel.
Minnipa has fuel but is only open 'office hours'...
http://post100.com.au/wp-content/upload ... d-2016.pdf
GrantO

Post by GrantO »

Thanks guys , I new there had to be a short cut. See you all there in Feb can't wait..
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

I have taken the Kimba road in the last couple of years and I believe it is miles better and miles shorter if you are coming in from WA. I can send you a turn by turn kilometre reading from Kimba to the DLRA turn off for the woodshed camp if you want.
BIG GAZ
Gus

Post by Gus »

We haven't worked out how we are getting there yet, still shopping for trailers and such. There's no real shortcut unless your in a desert racer. One thing we know, our team will be leaving in 2 waves. The slow and steady guys John and Darren first with the hudson. Probably on the Tuesday or Wednesday before speed week. Ill still be in East Timor on Wednesday and have to get home first, kiss the wife, pack my bag, grab anything John and Darren have forgotten to pack, find someone to drive me, inform them they are now our crew and then hit the road hopefully be there fit and ready for sunday's drivers meeting. But if it works out you and your mate would be more than welcome. (Wife wont let me take her car and i'm not sure i should subject the 49 buick to that trip) Ill find something. And as far as that little kimba Rd short cut goes well be taking that i think.
"On the sea that's aquaplaning, in the air that's aeroplaning, but on the land, in the traffic, on the hills, hot diggity dog, THAT'S TERRAPLANING"