help with classing my car

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

mick

help with classing my car

Post by mick »

i have a 90 model ae93 sx corolla front wheel drive with a 1.6litre engine that has been turbo charged. what class would this be? wanst turbo from factory but came out with supercharger, id imagine turbo and super chargers are both classed the same i.e forced induction?
thanks
mick alexander
p.s anyone have fomula for working out gearing and or drag i.e my car has a cd of .32 so want to know the horsepower needed for 300km\h etc
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Mick, I've grabbed the info below from the "mad max on the salt thread". A formula was discussed on there a month or so back. see how it goes.
The rule book is available on the web site here to down load. It is a 2.8M PDF file, but worth the time. I think your car would be in Gas Coupe, having a non standard super/turbo charger. If it had the original super charger, it would most likely be Production Supercharged. Your engine class is G, so you are competing against 2 litre engines as well.
My guess is G/BGC. G engine, Blown Gas Coupe

here is a formula to find how much power you need for a certian speed
force= total drag + total rolling resistance + transmission losses X MPH divided by 375 = HP
but you need to know what drag your vehicle has here is a formula to work out drag
drag = Af X Cd X 0.00256 X speed squared
Af = frontal area in square inches
Cd = coefficient of drag NB non dimential number only found in a wind tunnel as an aproximation use 0.035
0.00256 = air density
drag will be in pounds
also to get a rough aprox of rolling resistance use this formula
rolling resistance = vehicle mass X 0.013
I use 15% as a rough estimate for transmission losses
mate as you can see your drag is a squared function of speed and alas power is a cubed function of speed
hope you can use these
Hawkwind racing
Gary mem # 282
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member

Post by Guest »

thanks john for your prompt reply! im trying to organise a few cars to go to the salt lakes. mine plus another couple that i work on{vt clubsport supercharged that has 750hp at the wheels, and our national sport sedan} i downloaded the manual thanks.

mick alexander
austrack motorsport