Importing Race Cars to Australia

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, outbacktrev, Peter Noy, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer

DLRA
Site Admin

Importing Race Cars to Australia

Post by DLRA » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:38 pm

G'Day All,
I have had an enquiry from a Bonneville Racer, thinking about advertising his car here in the hope that someone will buy it and import it.
So who has had experience or has current knowledge of importing a race car to Australia?

To get the ball rolling, apart from the actual container costs ($4000), there would also be Asbestos Certification ($1500) and then Customs Duty, which would be dependant on the cost paid for the vehicle ($?).
Would it be imported under "Race and Rally Regulations"?
Are you better off to register as an individual to import your vehicle?
Or use an Agent?
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor

Cookey

Re: Importing Race Cars to Australia

Post by Cookey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:05 am

Hi Greg,
I have used Rob Thompson here in Adelaide for my engines and parts over the years and found him to be very reliable & reasonable cost wise.
He imports cars, bikes & boats and has brought a few race cars in over the years. Check out his website.
https://www.hemi.com.au/importing_cars.html
Cheers,
Tony Cooke
DLRA # 363

Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:09 pm

I have used a company called "California Image" based on the Sunshine Coast (Brisbane) to import Motorcycle LandSpeed bodywork (3 x large boxes) out of LA, thay were good to deal with, their prices were reasonable and the stuff got here in a favourable time frame,, my understanding is that thay also import vehicles,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Blacduc

Post by Blacduc » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:19 pm

I've imported bike and car parts and a mid 30's pickup at various times into the country through John Cain in Newcastle. The paperwork is relatively straight forward however that was prior to the asbestos rules being enforced. I am aware of a Bonneville race car being imported from the US previously that required DFAT approval and additional certification by the owners/importer that the vehicle would not never be re- purposed for road use. The process was relatively straight forward but that was back in 2010.

Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:07 am

Actually Californian Image are now known as "American Classic Imports" 8)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,