Dates for 2020

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

DLRA
Site Admin

Dates for 2020

Post by DLRA »

Ok, here is your chance to have a say.
I'm very much aware that the extremely hot weather we experienced this year from the Thursday to the Sunday wore a lot of people out before the week had even started. Yes, it was unseasonal for March.
Here's the dilemma, do we go for February, when I "could" be 5C hotter than March, or do we go for March, knowing that it's late March and the chance of rain is much greater?

So there are 2 possible dates for Speed Week for next year if we are to continue to follow the cycles of the Moon.
17th to the 21st February 2020 (third quarter on the 16th, new moon on the 24th)
or
23rd to 27th March 2020 (new Moon on the 24th)

Which do you prefer?

Here's a good history of weather for the area (Nonning)
http://weather.mla.com.au/climate-history/sa/nonning
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Stayt`ie

Re: Dates for 2020

Post by Stayt`ie »

"My vote is for 23rd to 27th March" ,,

I have had a bit to say on Facebook concerning this,,

On that min/max temperature, rainfall chart, if you hover your mouse over the induvial monthly windows, it actually shows the mean rainfall for March at 15.7mm, February at 18.1,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Tone

Post by Tone »

think I'm with Ronnie!, it's always going to be a bit of a gamble either way, but, a little later might be better.
Tone
harky

Post by harky »

later 👍 🤞
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

23rd to 27th March sounds the better option to me, maybe even a bit earlier might help traction a bit (waning tidal pull) by adding a bit of moisture to the loose powder salty topping ?
As for rain,,who knows ?
Tiny's 2 Bob's worth.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Have already locked in March :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

End of March is the way to go.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

March as well. It was a struggle installing all the timing gear in the heat.
34SaltNorm

Post by 34SaltNorm »

March for me

last time we ran in February on the same week as Ballarat Swap meet a large number of members left early
I was one of them..... Ballarat Swap is a large event for our company and I must be there

I remember commitee members complaining of the lack of people left to help with pack up that year
If we are running an international event next year we are going to need more hands
momec3

Post by momec3 »

March for me, I still have to compromise as my Grandaughters wedding is the 21st march in Sydney. I could not vote for Feb as it is too hot and humid.
Chris
Garth04

Post by Garth04 »

In the beginning before racing even started it was researched that the first week of March was always the driest recorded in the lakes history
Chief Timer 1990-1996
DLRA #4
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

G'Day Garth, and thanks for your comments.
There continues to be research each year and there are many weather and climate observations taken into account when determining the dates for Speed Week. There is typical annual data, but now a lot more is known about other weather events like el nino and la nina. When you look back over the years it seems that roughly every 7 years we get washed out. If 2020 had have gone ahead we would have been washed out, and this is consistent with this trend.
Also the cyclone season seems to have more influence now than before (or maybe we just notice it more) as these systems seem to come further south than they used to (I'm not going to mention climate change)

Yes originally it was just rainfall, but now we look at heat, wind strength and direction and the water table.
It is recognised that the closer to February you get the hotter it gets, so we try and avoid dates in February.
It is also recognised that November is the windiest time, March is not the best, but at least the direction is workable.
The water table or depth of the water under the salt can vary by as much as 1.5 metres depending upon what time of the month it is. Speed Week dates are selected as close to the new moon as possible. (This is also why the dates change each year)

Also taken into consideration in determining dates are things like public holidays, and other major events both in South Australia and the rest of Australia.
A couple of years ago, the Monday of Speed Week was a public holiday in South Australia and we ended up with heaps of spectators, much more than we ever anticipated. Is this something we necessarily want? I'm still not sure, as we are busy enough looking after entrants, let alone catering for all those spectators, especially in such a remote location.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor