run 2 courses
78%
2 seperate meets
22%

Total votes: 9

hawkwind racing

where to next

Post by hawkwind racing »

Our event is growing each year , and one of the drawbacks is going to be longer lines of racers and less runs , there was talk going around the pits as more become aware of this ( sadly a lot of shit was directed at the bikers ,hopefully much was in jest) as to being the cause of long queues,if our growth continues we are going to need to make some decisions as to alleviating this , talking to a number of racers and officials ,two solutions were put forward
1. having 2 courses as per bonniville short course for all vehicles running under 175 mph , long course for over 175 mph , we certinally have the room to do this ,but against , another set of timing lights and finding more timers and starters :oops:
2. extending the meet to 6 days and running 3 days for bikes only and 3 days for cars only ,but again this will have problems , will the current starters and timers do the whole meet or only the cars ? and what if the first 3 days are to windy / wet / add whatever problem here ,or the last 3 days who misses out ?
personally I would only concider # 1 option as # 2 is a recipe for disaster ,anyway this is an open forum for all of you racers out there to have your say on this topic ,for or against
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I know im a newby but ive been to pleanty of drag meets, with about the same amout of entries and some meeting were all done and dusted with heaps of time to spare and others take all the time available, If you take into acount monday was lost and the stoppage from the incidances, and the Delayes from the FIM and no one was left friday the weather unforgiving. Take these out of the equation and there was not even two full days of racing,, I think see what next year bring try and make the event run alittle more efficiently ..The Chook Chasers haven't arrived yet?
Some of us like Bikes & Keith Blacks at the same meeting..???
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

im with dave on this one, was just one of them meets, its called growing pains,,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Sumner

Post by Sumner »

If you don't mind I'll make a couple observations. I haven't been over there (but I'll be coming :D ), but my gut feeling is from what I've heard/read you guys are doing a pretty good job. More courses won't help with the weather and track conditions and I think for the number of entries you have right now and the immediate future one course sounds like enough to me. I think I would just work on smoothing out operations.

I've been going to B'ville since 1991 as a spectator and the last two years as a participant with Hooley and his Stude ( HOOLEY 2004 and HOOLEY 2005 ). With around 400 entries there now the lines even with two courses are getting really long. Yet both years we managed to get in two runs on the first two days (Sat. & Sun.) and Sat. is only about a half day. I think you will find that as you get faster cars/bikes these guys can't make run after run after run. We probably would have been wise to have just tried to make one run per day. The further the vehicles get from stock the more preparation they need between runs and they also need the best conditions. I can see if you are running a vehicle where the motor isn't right on the edge it is nice to make laps, but I think you will find as more guys/gals build really dedicated cars and bikes they won't be able to make run after run after run, so this will shorten the lines. Even at B'ville by about Tues. so many guys have left or blown up you can get a lot of runs in the rest of the week. It is just that everyone worries about rain during the week, so you want to be ready to run on Sat./Sun.

I think the idea of making the event possible a day longer might be a good one. With only one venue/meet a year for you guys now an extra day might come in handy.

Personally unless you have lots of volunteer help sitting around with nothing to do I would put off the two tracks a while longer. If you would have had good track conditions (something that is out of your hands) this year from the first day on I'll bet everyone would have gotten in plenty of runs.

On the bike/car thing, no way would I split the meet up. There are always some whiners on both sides of this, but I think the majority of people enjoy seeing both at the meet and also running. I sure do. At b'ville I feel the bikes actually spend less time getting off the line and running than the cars do. You are going to need all the resources you can get to make these meets work and splitting it up isn't a good idea in my mind.

I guess I rattled on enough for not even being over there. I must have some of Doc's blood in me :cry: .

c ya, Sum
[b][url=http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/bvillecarindexpage.html]Lakester Construction[/url][/b]

[b][url=http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html]1FATGMC[/url][/b]
Dr Goggles

Mixed meats

Post by Dr Goggles »

I can't hold a candle to you when it comes to "rattling" on Sum' but you're on the money.The short track and late start meant that there weren't many blow ups early in the week .Lots of first timers frustrated at the slow pace and old timers frustrated because they couldn't "lap" like they used to meant there was a buzz of disatisfaction , that it didn't become more than that is a credit to everyone involved.In the circumstances I think the club did pretty well .

Lots of people have read articles in the mags over the last few years about how fantastic it is but not many mags say how brutal , expensive and heart breaking the game can be thus some first timers are a little surprised to find the tiny one week a year window might only be half open, or worse.

Everyone is in the one boat , everyone needs to pull their weight and offer up suggestions and solutions to make the meet run smoothly and efficiently....for your own benefit .

Look no further than Gary for inspiration. :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
KeithTurk

Post by KeithTurk »

Guys.... Salt flats racing goes like that sometimes... sucks... but it's all part of the heart break...

No matter how small it's been in the past.... this meet wasn't HUGE like the 400 cars of Bonneville nor does it have the volunteer support from as many years as Bville....

It takes a really special and dedicated person to volunteer for years on end with no pay and damn little upside.... so cultivating those kinds of folks takes many many years.... It's obvious to me that you guys are doing a Super job with what you have....

I really don't think your up to two courses yet... honestly managing the single course you have should be your first goal.... getting as much out of it as you can.... With the length you have it seems to me it's going to take more time and effort to get it perfect.... once you have that and the lines are still backing up.... then start looking at a second course.

One of the first things I'd do is get organized earlier.... start the day at 7:30 and run it till the sun sets... or just short of it... The days are LONG... and tough on the folks working... so I like your lunch break idea... but keep it to a schedule... say... 1hr from the time of the break till you actually run the next car. To do that most of the folks are only going to get a 40min break... but it's a way of bringing more opportunity's to run...

Gary.... keep in mind this isn't critizing your efforts... I was very happy with the way the whole thing went... and We'll bring our car and comply with whatever your current procedures are....

Thanks again to all of you for the patience with the FIM deal.... I know that was a pain in your butt's....

Keith Turk