CARS - The movie

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Lynchy

CARS - The movie

Post by Lynchy »

I took the kids to see Cars at the movies this week - It's school holidays here in Qld. I'd recommend it to all of you. The kids enjoyed the cartoon car characters - I enjoyed spotting all the car culture references in the background......

No salt in this movie

Yes I am again bored at work!! Anyone want any research done?? Big Gaz has me checking out exhaust lengths for Primary and Secondary pipes....
DLRA 112

Post by DLRA 112 »

Yes a great film. Not just for the Kids but for the big kids too. :lol:
Member DLRA 112.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

You want some research Lynchy.
Whats the flame front of Methanol, 50/50 methanol nitromethane,VP14+, VP16 & VP25,
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

I'll get back to you on that one...................
Dr Goggles

Night Row

Post by Dr Goggles »

"O2NCH3/CH3OH is a contributing factor in the manufacturing of Aluminium Oxide. Legs out bed and expensive ash trays.."

I think beer and curry are a contributing factor in the manufacturing of O2NCH3............. :lol: :oops:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Reverend Hedgash

Research

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Lynchy,

while you are on sizing pipes, what are the best lengths, diameters, for a Commodore V6? We are up to building our exhaust and need to know the ideal to aim for but it is going to be tight in the tank...

We are aiming for naturally aspirated for the first year, then thinking blown etc.

Ta,

Rev.

ps I liked the pinstriping tattoo on the rear end of the Porsche in Cars, nice touch.
DLRA Member#412
DON NOBLE

Re: Research

Post by DON NOBLE »

ah easy , 6 x zoomies . 3 each side
Reverend Hedgash wrote:Lynchy,

while you are on sizing pipes, what are the best lengths, diameters, for a Commodore V6? We are up to building our exhaust and need to know the ideal to aim for but it is going to be tight in the tank...

We are aiming for naturally aspirated for the first year, then thinking blown etc.

Ta,

Rev.

ps I liked the pinstriping tattoo on the rear end of the Porsche in Cars, nice touch.
:arrow:
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dirty

The Flame front is as follows:

"The advancing of fuel reacting from a source of ignition. During normal combustion there is only one flame front which advances from the spark plug to the outer edges of the combustion chamber. During abnormal combustion multiple flame fronts can start, which leads to detonation."

Yes - it is the definition of what a flame front is - you need to be more specific.

Oh - I'm not bored anymore, my boss is back at work!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rev

I think Don has the most correct answer.

There is no way on the Jag to route the pipes any way apart from out the side of the car behind the front wheel but ahead of the door. The car will be tooooo low to do this any other way. So my answer to Big Gaz was get the primaries right and then the secondary length will be dictated by the 12" left to the hole in the guard.

I too suggested zoomies as this would be the coolest option.

BTW - BG has found a bloke who charges hourly rate to build a cage for the car. He will do it on weekends AND will do it at Gaz's shed. It will also be scheduled for a weekend that I am in Sydney to help out. How good is that!!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rev

I found a website a while back that looked to hold some promise:

http://headerdesign.com/index.asp

You can register to gain access to a header design calculator that would likely be useful if you have a fair degree of info for your engine. It also contains some good theory.

I've found some other calculators but they require much more info to perform the task.

BTW - It doesn't like the numbers I punched in for the blown Cleveland. I think it might have thought I was playing silly buggers.....
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Ok Lynchy,
My idea of flame front meant the speed of witch the combustion travelled,
Dyno ing one of my early motors on VP14+ we found that didn't really matter what we did the power always dropped off at 11700rpm i'm almost certain we didn't have detonation or valve float issues, as we tried a few diffrent thing like timing, fuel mixture and diffrent valve spring pressures, in fact we took valve installed height out and made more power but it still nosed over at 11700rpm, we put this down to flame combustion speed, similar motors on diffrent fuels with higher lift cams will rev a lot harder and the power curve is at a higher level,
If you now how hard you can rev a V8 with a 4" stroke i can calculate it back to my 66mm stroke, blown and drip fed..
Cheers dirty
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dirty

Yeah - I was just being a dick. I'll see if I can find anything out. It may be a subject similar to header design though..... very hard to find the right answer / very hard to find a decent starting point.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

DD

Does this help?

Using high octane fuel for an engine makes a difference when the engine is producing its maximum power. This will occur when the intake manifold has no air restriction and is running at minimum vacuum. Depending on the engine design, this particular circumstance can be anywhere along the RPM range, but is usually easy to pin-point if you can examine a print-out of the power-output (torque values) of an engine. On a typical high-rev'ving motorcycle engine, for example, the maximum power occurs at a point where the movements of the intake and exhaust valves are timed in such a way to maximize the compression loading of the cylinder; although the cylinder is already rising at the time the intake valve closes, the forward speed of the charge coming into the cylinder is high enough to continue to load the air-fuel mixture in.

When this occurs, if a fuel with below recommended octane is used, then the engine will knock. Modern engines have anti-knock provisions built into the control systems and this is usually achieved by dynamically de-tuning the engine while under load by increasing the fuel-air mixture and retarding the spark. Here is a white paper that gives an example: http://dinancars.com/whitepapersFile.asp?ID=9 . In this example the engine maximum power is reduced by about 4% with a fuel switch from 93 to 91 octane (11 hp, from 291 to 280 hp). If the engine is being run below maximum load then the difference in octane will have even less effect.

Not quite what you asked for but may be relevant to your experience.....
momec

Post by momec »

G'Day All

Regarding header design I"m now building V8 supercar engines for a living. These engines are at a point where if you change spark plug heat range you almost have to change pipes to optimize. I am not kidding.
We cannot generalise what pipe length will suit what motor. You are best to build a tri Y design on unblown V8's ( doe'nt know what suits V6)
but unless you want to try a multitude of pipes on a dyno there is no exact answer for your engine.
On our budgets if it looks right it is right and this will get you 90% of the way to what suits your motor
Teas getting cold

Seeya Chris
Acme Racing #251
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Chris

Congrats on the new job - Don told me that you have recently picked it up. Glad to hear it's a Ford team!!