Where is everyone???

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Bones , what sort of aero work mate , jason mcvicar ran an R1 with a 50 shot of nitrous and went 206
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Hello everyone. Work is about to start on the belly tank for next year. I have melted down about 200 kilos of lead from bits and pieces, plus a shitload of old tyre weights I bought at the wreckers for ballast. Hopefully this will cure the traction problems that the LSR tyres brought with them.
I've downloaded the new rulebook, but it is bloody hard to work out what the changes are, because they have left all the previous changes from 2003/4 underlined, but not underlined the new ones.
We have new non welded steering arms, which should stop some of the carry on from last year. New 15x4 rims to raise the profile of the tyres a little.
We are considering wether to tackle another year with our existing engine, or go for a fresh wreckers special. Will have to see if the budget can fit another $450 in. Would love to get a roller bearing turbo, because the boost level in the existing one kills the bearings pretty quick.
After reading the previous posts, we might have to tune the Z50 up to retain our class record.

I'm also think of a larger throttle body off a Falcon, and maybe a proper intercooler. Who knows.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
Reverend Hedgash

Belly Wheels

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Good to hear from you John!

Glad to know the black beast is coming back. Should be a good year for belly numbers.

Are you just narrowing the wheels to increase ride height or buying new Land Speeds as well?

The weight should help the traction problems with the wheels but have you figured out the wandering or do you think that is a traction issue?

Reverend H+
Reporting from Dubai
DLRA Member#412
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

I think the wandering is a traction issue. It was definatley a tail happy feeling. There was no change in the car, except for the tyres. They also showed scuffing on the contact area, and at $700 each, they are too dear to leave on the salt.

The new rims are a bit narrower than the existing ones, which should give us a bit more height. They are also the recommended width for the tyres.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
Dr Goggles

Re: where is everyone

Post by Dr Goggles »

BONES wrote:R1 will be off the track after this weekend for some major aero work.
Been running at the drags. Best so far 9.78 @145. Ev's best 10.4@137

........did I see some footage of you on the purple and green " Are One "against some beast with wheelie bars on the quarter while I was watching Two Wheel Torque tonight Bones???
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

"we might have to tune the Z50 up to retain our class record"
Your record looks safe John, at least for another year,, :( My plans had a minor setback recently,,2 outa 4 gears wont select (yet), but more importantly,,,I'm getting thrown on the employment scrap heap , again,,bugga,,life suxs without salt :(
On a positive note, :D ,,the 2008 project only needs a 1mm o/s r6 piston , and I have all the parts and time I need to create a 171 cc dohc , get my record back after 2007, king kong killa Postie !
Oh yeah,,theres some seriously WEIRD shit happnin' @ the Silverton hotel , and "IT" should be ready for 2007's speedweek :wink:
Tiny 8)
update,,maybe John, you might just need the tune up after all,,after de rusting the selector drum,,I have all 4 gears,,and a job interview tomorrow, and Rev,,ya not warm yet,,,,,,
Last edited by gennyshovel on Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
Reverend Hedgash

Silverton

I hope they are giving the LongBike a body...?
DLRA Member#412
gennyshovel

Can you smell the salt?

Post by gennyshovel »

MMMMM, , March seems awfully close, all of a sudden, although the slick 50 is almost ready for a road test, I haven't got hold of a rolling chassis to enter in the class that'll scare John B ,,yet , but I'm on a lead :wink:
My work situation looks better too, casual employment means March is Holiday time,,right?
Tiny 8)
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

According to Paul, the two miles from the start line to the timing lights is the longest two miles he's ridden.
36 mph is a bit of a change from the usual 200!

Just thinking about it, it would have taken nearly 4 minutes.
His run was on a Friday, and we were about the only ones left, so it didn't cause too much bother.
I'm not too sure how you would go with all the other guys in the strat line. It would be a bit like being stuck behind a pensioner with a caravan I reckon.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
Reverend Hedgash

Or in the supermarket queue with a male check out chick, multiple price checks and you're busting to go for a slash...

rev.H+
Bahrain V8 Supercars was fantastic. NOBODY was there...
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Rev

The racetrack looked good - noticed myself that the stands were fairly empty, I wonder if they'll continue trying to get an international (non NZ)audience?

Lynchy
Reverend Hedgash

Bahrain

They have a contract to be there for five years.

They are trying to "grow" the sport and the Prince is trying to grow Bahrain as a destination.

The locals have regular races there with local heroes and so they were not too excited about an Aussie race yet I guess. I did note some improved cheering at the final race as people had obviously warmed to certain drivers by then. Garth Tander was clearly the quickest but blew the start.

I sat in on the media conference and was charmed by the repartee between the Journos and the drivers.

The opinions of the teams were split. Bahrain as a destination doesn't really have much to offer outside the track for the teams, but the facilities there were fantastic. Big garages etc.

It is still a new track and was built in only two years so there is a continued build program which can only make it better. One comment from the drivers is the surface is a bit too slippery for Supercar racing.

They didn't have to run cat converters so they sounded extra crisp too!

I loved the place personally, but hey we race in the desert.

Reverend H+
Supporting the DLRA flag in Bahrain
DLRA Member#412
BONES

where is everyone

Post by BONES »

Dr Goggles, there is only one bike that looks like our yamaha......must have been me or Ev.
Garry, new aero to include- front guard,limit air to radiator,cover outlets in fairing and make it conform more to rider shape,duct radiator air out underneath the bike,full belly fairing.New rear wheel with tyre fitted for "rear use". havent started yet-dont know how far i'll get.
See ya soon BONES
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

Bones,you got rid of that scary rear wheel--thank God!!!
How are you feeling?
SteveThumpn

Post by SteveThumpn »

more thinking and planning than doing happening at this low key Qld end, i have not even been to a DL meet yet so that is the first goal, but it wont be the next one on the calender sadly so have to keep posted via media and forum :?
All the best to everyone, for me it is the odd clandestine run with gearing variations and no significant mods yet but its early days.
Have fun and be safe,
steve
Its going to take some time.... But the only hurry i like is when the wheels are aturning.
Project; special construction 500cc motorcycle on gas and at the lake eventually.