Where is everyone???

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Steve, I hope you don't mean you cannot make it in March?

You NEED to come to Lake Gairdner in March or you wont forgive yourself.

Rev. H+
DLRA Member#412
BONES

where is everyone

Post by BONES »

Hi Fireman
Have you seen a comstar wheel have problems?
There's not many skinny 17"wheels around. I want to fit a 130 /80zr 17
to the rear of the r1 for next year,its the smallest rear available. I've spoken to a bunch of people and only Gazza knew of any problems(fully loaded-2 people on dirt roads) I may need to re-think , but I want a skinny rear wheel
cheers BONES
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

Bones, Cannot say as I have but just looking at the way those wheels were pieced together made me shudder. Too many places for failure--especially with hi HP stuff. Look for a 1 piece wheel/
Reverend Hedgash

update

Started building the Megasquirt system for the engine.

There is so much documentation surrounding this thing, different versions etc. that I feel I have read the bible in three languages.

Assembling it is remarkably easy though. The plan is to have completed building it, testing it and getting my head around the tuning software (Megatune) prior to returning to Oz for our big summer build period.

For those who don't know it, Megasquirt is an engine management system that you build yourself. Cheap with a heap of features and used with some success in the states LSR.

Rev. H+
DLRA Member#412
momec

Post by momec »

Sounds like a certain level of nerdiness would be a prerequiste. :lol:

What your looking for Rev is a pair of strombergs and a dual point mallory brother. Make that alloytec really honk :wink:
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Chris

Maybe we should send Don down to help? He's the king of Ricey motors. He might even help set the tank up for drifting..... Wouldn't that be worth paying to see!

Lynchy
Reverend Hedgash

Nerds and donuts

Drifting fine.

Donuts a little more traditional and LSR is a traditional game, although Lazlo's efforts might be the last Olympic rings in that department.

Actually just getting it to go, and then go in a straight line will be enough!

Nerdiness? Sure, I follow the Dick Smith school of business (and nerdiness), "Surround yourself with smart people and ask a lot of questions".

At the start of this build I knew very little about engines, let alone engine management, but now I know a little and hopefully towards the end know enough to make it work.

Mostly due to good advice from the Land Speed community.

As for soldering, haven't done it since I had a train set. (oops = nerd. My brother had the scaletric...)

Bless the forum.

Reverend H+
DLRA Member#412
SteveThumpn

Post by SteveThumpn »

Nerdism and attention to detail wins the day, but perhaps talent could help also i am guessing :? not having much meself... :lol:
Its going to take some time.... But the only hurry i like is when the wheels are aturning.
Project; special construction 500cc motorcycle on gas and at the lake eventually.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

3 steps forward,,NONE back, :D , the 50's ready ror a test ride, and what a crisp sounding lil piptee it is too :shock:
I'm going to pick up a stocker frame this week, complete with leg shields and pressed steel leading link forks, an REAL handlebars , so providing it achieves the 37 mph (ish) I'm gonna be needing,,full steam ahead with the " stealth 50 "
Tiny 8)
PS , don't worry, I wont hold up the traffic, till late in the 1st week of march. :wink:
Update,,WOHOOO warp speed on a piptee, with gearing too tall and straight out header pipe , things it should have hated, there's the smell of sucess in the air :roll:
Last edited by gennyshovel on Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
hawkwind racing

200 steps back

Post by hawkwind racing »

gennyshovel wrote:3 steps forward,,NONE back, :D , the 50's ready ror a test ride, and what a crisp sounding lil piptee it is too :shock:
:wink:

thats beaut bloke :D me im ready to take a 15lb sledgy to it as its to heavy to toss across the shed ,a 1cm measurement mistake made very early in the build has come back to haunt me almost at the finish and no easy way around it :cry: oh well such is life
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
BOB ELLIS

Hawk's Sledgehammer

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Hey Gary , you must get facts correct , sledgies come in 7 ,8 ,10 ,& 14lb , not 15lb ,BUT i do like the way your thinking !! (If at first you don't succeed , SMASH IT!!)Another tip , you shouldn't mention imperial & metric things in same article , it tends to confuse the guys younger than us!! Cheers Bob #66 C/GCC.
Dr Goggles

different sized rulers

Post by Dr Goggles »

hawkwind racing wrote:
gennyshovel wrote:3 steps forward,,NONE back, :D , the 50's ready ror a test ride, and what a crisp sounding lil piptee it is too :shock:
:wink:

thats beaut bloke :D me im ready to take a 15lb sledgy to it as its to heavy to toss across the shed ,a 1cm measurement mistake made very early in the build has come back to haunt me almost at the finish and no easy way around it :cry: oh well such is life
Gary

nice one T'fer and Gary , brave effort 'fessin' up to to that one , 'll just say our "little error" was 14mm but let's just say it would have made a wheel alignment difficult :oops: ....fortunately it was reversible....it's an incomparable feeling ain't it , you just feel like a dumb shit.....however I have to say I've been telling the bike heads at work about your ride , they think I'm shitting 'em. I reckon it's awesome .

Hey Bob the VN motor we'll be using as a dunger first up is metric on top and wimperial down below ( or vice versa , can't remember , doesn't matter) I have a foot firmly either side of the measurement debate.Brand new Harleys have a mix on 'em too.....no doubt the Seppo's call 10mm 13/32 or something ( whatever it is) BUT THOSE BOLTS IN THE CALIPERS ARE TEN FRIGGIN" MIL' :lol: :lol:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec

Bob the spy

Post by momec »

G'Day and a warm fuzzy feeling flows over Meadowbrook as I'm blowing on some top coat today. Has'nt rained for months but as soon as I start painting down she comes. This will not slow progress, its getting to close now to sweat the small stuff.

Bob the Spy dropped in yesterday and saw the "new grey".
By Sunday night plan to be assembling.
Back to it Seeya Chris
Acme Racing #251
BOB ELLIS

Bob the spy

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Christine , it wasn't really me , it was '007' in a red dress , ps have you heard from Donna Noble lately .Also have learnt that Norma Jean Hardinge is a secret voyour of the forum . Found out last nite that my head has a hole in it!! The chevy head smart a$% , fixed next week hopefully.8 weeks to go , so if you fella's are readin' this , get off your'e geeky butts and build your toys!!Silly me , HAPPY '007' TO ALL DLRA MEMBERS and see you on the flats. Cheers Bob #66 C/GCC.
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

I was starting to think the DLRA had turned into a cult thing, and everyone had died , but silly me, you were all locked away drinking , building and humbuging your way through the silly season weren't ya ?
The stealth 50 is so damn fast , it blew a rear tire, luckily , while it was only resting on the bench @ the time, so I have to go to the trotts and "borow" some tyres from a sulky while everyones at the bar.
Animal will be pleased I didn't have to weld anything on this years ride :wink:
Are we there yet ?
Tiny 8)
Oh yeah , Merry christmas and a happy new year to all
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering