Hot Rod Magazine

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

KeithTurk

Hot Rod Magazine

Post by KeithTurk »

I might not have mentioned this very well in the past... but my partner in the Camaro is David Freiburger and he's the Editor in Cheif of Hot Rod Magazine... The Camaro we're talking about is the first Hot Rod Magazine Spl. in 47 yrs.... we've talked about him writing an article for our trip to Lake Gairdner.... the whole thing is about the expedition to the salt there and racing with you guys... Can't imagine that not including a few of your guys...

Hot Rod has been around a while as a magazine and really help start Land speed racing here in the US at the battler level... our junk isn't very special... but it is very much in concert with the manner in which many of you race.... as bucks down as we can keep it and lots of blood sweat and gears....

Can you tell I'm getting excited?

K
BIG GAZ

Post by BIG GAZ »

Keith, No sh*t! So we are to have royalty amongst us. If you think you had a good time last year, just imagine what next year is going to hold. Big Paul and I will be there in March '07, with the Shaguar (hopefully) so maybe you can give me a few tips on the finer points of Land Speed! We all look forward to seeing you and the crew and the Camaro and hope the transport here and back all works smoothly. Please let us know if there is anything you need at our end (via email) and we will do our best to get it organised.
BIG GAZ
KeithTurk

Post by KeithTurk »

He ain't royalty... he's just a hard core car guy... who's lucky enough to be able to write and take pictures.... David is actually a VERY good engine tuner... and a die hard Racer....

If you can get a copy this month you can see the article he wrote on Bonneville this year....

K
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Keith are you going to smuggle in any smelly motorcycle racers :?: :?:
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
blownvn

Post by blownvn »

It'll be good to see the F-bomb in Australia.
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

Very cool news indeed. I saw Norm Hardinge at Summernats and he mentioned the Yanks were coming in a pretty quick Camaro. He didn't give exact details though.

I can't wait to see the car and meet Dave Freiburger. I might be able to get some tips off him, being that we kinda (sorta in a mostly roundabout way) do the same thing. :)
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
KeithTurk

Post by KeithTurk »

I've had all sorts of troubles getting signed in again... but here I am....

The Camaro is on a boat to Rod Hadfield .... it's floating it's happy ass away....

The car is just a 1980 Camaro with a crate engine from GM.... the 572 race motor... a tex racing trans and quick change rear...

Should run fairly well... basically our goal is to put myself and my wife as well as David and Steve Atwell in the Two club.... then we'll let Rod have a turn at her as well... the car's really nothing fancy... just an old junk Camaro with some good runs on her at Bville....

K
Don Hudson

Post by Don Hudson »

Great to hear about your Camaro coming to Australia, you should be able to fill in a few blanks in the AA records with that piece of kit. I'm just happy I didn't go for the bigger engine on my last rebuild. Any Idea of HP? or should we just wait for the big white dyno?

I've been reading Freiburgers stuff for years in Hot Rod, seems like a genuine car nut. Can't wait to meet him.

Not long now, just 6 weeks.
417 AA/FCC 91 Olds NASCAR
KeithTurk

Post by KeithTurk »

This motor seems to make around 800hp on the dyno and we've added about 200hp of Nitrous to keep it happy...

it is in fact a dead stock crate motor ... but I've added an oil pan to it since we raced it at Bville.... top speed so far is 261mph... on the juice and 246mph on the motor...

The car is in Brisbane as of right now and should be down to Rod in the next week or so.

K
Don Hudson

Post by Don Hudson »

I'll have to track you down at the salt for a few nitrous tips, I've added nitrous to my 454 for the first time this year (as well as alot of other changes and alot more hp), and information can be a bit thin on the ground.
I saw the car in jan 05 Hot rod, but it had a blown 400 back then.

p.s. got my march edition of HR with your car in the wind tunnel. good tips. good article.
417 AA/FCC 91 Olds NASCAR
KeithTurk

Post by KeithTurk »

The Wind tunnel was one of the best times I've ever had playing with cars... it was simply an amazing experience. The Camaro was fairly impressive in it as well...

K
ingles

hot rod magazine

Post by ingles »

Hey, keith,is that "hemi" steve atwell?lunatic who lets freiburger drive his cars-all hardcore mopar stuff-are you guys gunna stick a chrysler badge on the camaro so he'll drive it?
whaddya mean flat black is not a real colour?
KeithTurk

Post by KeithTurk »

Yeah it's the Same Steve Atwell that owns a bunch of Hemi race cars and street cars.... but David isn't the only one who's driven his junk.... Tonya and I both had the opportunity to pedal his 426 Belveder down the strip on drag week last year.... Totally cool deal... Steve is simply a great guy... and good freind.

He is dedicated to running Hemi's... but he drove the Camaro at Bonneville last year and set the record in AA/CGALT at 245.011mph as I recall.... his first two trips down the salt.... ( he'd driven the car to lic. at Maxton )

We now affectionately call him "Mr Ratwell"

K
ingles

hot rod mag.

Post by ingles »

oh man,what a life-wish i could get friends that would let you drive their hemi powered "junk"!! :D
whaddya mean flat black is not a real colour?
KeithTurk

Post by KeithTurk »

There are lots of folks I'd trade my current situation with... like bum's on skid row... least they don't have much to worry about... ( cept where the next beer is coming from )...

Steve would be miffed if I called his cars anything other then junk... otherwise I'd be giving them a station in life higher then my junk...

This should be my last post before we leave in an hour or so....

You will be able to contact me at kturk@ekit.com in the next week or two.

Keith