Rainfall

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

XW #901 180mph

Post by XW #901 180mph »

Does anyone know from past experience and the meetings in the 90's that were washed out, how much water was over the track vs how much time was left before the meeting and at what point was it decided to cancel the meeting.

What I am getting at is if there is a certain depth of water on the lake at say 2 weeks out from the event what would that depth be where it was impossible for it to evaporate in the 2 weeks that would be left.

Hopefully some of the guys that have been going since the early days can answer this.

Regards Mark
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Nice idea Mark but as last year demonstrated its the wind that can really make all the difference in the world just pushing the water around.

A couple of good or bad days can be the difference between a good course or no course.

Of course if the lake is full then game over!

Anyone got a hovercraft?

rev.H
DLRA Member#412
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Hi All again,
Absolutely no need for panic just yet. :shock: As the honorable Rev said, wind is more of an issue than evaporation. :idea:
If we have some nice southerlies the water will be blown up the lake and out of harms way :lol:
Still a loooong way off yet till race days. :?
Enjoy the long weekend. :lol:
Cheers,
Trevor
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

" If we have some nice southerlies the water will be blown up the lake and out of harms way "

If the wind gets REAL strong, it might blow the salty water all the way to the Murray river , and ya wouldn't taste the difference downstream.
Tiny 8)
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
swozzie

Post by swozzie »

Morning all,

Just spoke to Sandi at the station, and it seems that at yesterday "dry" patches started to appear on the lake... it has been 40 plus degrees out there and they dont seem to think that water on the lake is going to be a problem, trees on the lake could be... and the "road" to the station is still cut off, washed away and with trees across it, so they are having loads to do before we can even get there... be prepared for a possible slow trip out...

Cheers, see ya all in 4 weeks n a bit...

Ev n Bones
DLRA # 443

2005 - TZ350 - M/G - 120.4mph
2006 - Yam R1 - MPS/G - 151.789mph , too slow
2007 - wanna have a go at going fast.....
2012 - SCTA. AMA & FIM - ABG1000 - 192 & 202mph
outbacktrev

Iron Knob - Mt Ive road update

Post by outbacktrev »

G'Day All,
Hot off the press once again. :lol: Iron Knob to Mt Ive road is now open to 4WD only :) , that's a move in the right direction. :) According to last info from Highways Dept 2 yes 2 graders :o will be in the Gawler ranges, as of now, trying to repair as much of the roads/tracks as possible. :D As has been said before it might take a little longer to get to the camp but at least we will be able to get there :!:
Cheers for now,
Trevor :wink:
big chook

Post by big chook »

Hi Salties ,have any members got google earth on their computer programs to be able to zoom in to Lake G and give us updates on evaporation and condition of lake etc . Be nice to get some administration feed back on likely scenarios for the coming weeks . cheers Mick #member 360
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

There was a DLRA meeting today at Norm's, just before the meeting, Rob rang Mt. Ive and got the very latest. There is still water on the lake but the salt is now starting to poke through in some spots. The flood level can clearly be seen by the debris left behind on the bank and estimates are that there was at least a metre of water covering our end of the lake after the rains. However in what has been a relatively short time all this water is almost gone so given we have a month to go and the temps are pretty good (46^C today) things are looking pretty good. Evidently is the temp and not the wind that's doing the trick.

The DEH ranger also flew over the lake on Thursday and sent some photos I'll have these online here soon.

Next Saturday our friendly wrecker from Port Augusta will be making a trip to the lake so will be able to gitve a first hand report on the road as well as the lake.

I have given an undertaking to post weekly updates on the forum and via the mailing list each week for the next 4 weeks so as they say in the classics, watch this space.

If required, there have been postponement dates worked out (AND NOBODY IS TO MENTION THIS WORD AGAIN) and they are later than sooner, you have Easter and then there's issues with accomodation as the bunk house at Mt. Ive are required for workers, also the canteen would be hard to staff as well. I'm sure that this would make it hard for many as they book their holidays etc and can't easily change, so it is something that would only be done as a very last resort. Let's cross this bridge only if we have to.
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Reverend Hedgash

Google Earth

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Nice idea Big Chook but unfortuately Google Earth images are only updated over a period of years, not daily.

The plane doing the latest high res images is in Australia at the moment, but the udpload isn't expected for some time.

Interestingly NASA do use Lake Gairdner as a "White Balance" for their satelites that head this way, so they may be a good source of info. Any know any space pilots?

Rev. H+
DLRA Member#412
swozzie

Post by swozzie »

Thanks for the update... will keep fingers crossed....

on a slightly different subject, when I was talking to Sandra at the station, She mentionned that they may/could put a barbie/dinner on on saturday and sunday nites providing there were enough people there...

Thought it may be a good idea to get some numbers of how many will be there early, I deffinitely prefer the idea of eating there rather than having to cook... it's my holiday time...

Cheers, Ev

Three and a half weeks to go....
DLRA # 443

outbacktrev

mixed topic

Post by outbacktrev »

Swoz,
What about starting a new topic for dining arrangements. :roll: People come to this topic for updates on road/access/salt conditions. :idea:
Cheers,
Trevor :wink:
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

InFrontTrev,
Hows the Grader situation looking is it going to happen, or should we prepare for more ground clearance,,,Don't want to Bruise your Dim Sims....... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
swozzie

Post by swozzie »

Sorry Trev

Thought of it myself as I cliqued the submit button.... ooops.... too late... was just having one of my usual blonde days...

Anyway, seen Dirty Dave's done it for me... Thanks

Cheers, Ev
DLRA # 443

outbacktrev

Track grading

Post by outbacktrev »

Dave,
Don't know yet but I believe Len is kean to have the track to the Lake in good order. :lol: Don't know about track from turnoff, at bore, to camp though. :cry: I'll give you a lift in the "twin cab" if you can't make it in the ute :idea:
Cheers,
Trev
PS Swoz no offence meant. :oops: Dave dimmy's will be fine (frozen) :idea:
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

These were taken on Thursday 1st February 2007 by by Ross Allen from Department of Environment and Hertiage, South Australia

I think this is the top end of the lake

Top End

Top End

The canteen can be seen on the point near the bottom of the picture, the track runs from the bottom straight up to the islands near the top.

Same sort of thing but a bit closer

The "islands" that we can only normally see on the horizon from the track
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor