Rainfall

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

fredeuce

Rainfall

Post by fredeuce »

With the recent rainfall in SA I have had a look at the current rainfall map with the Bureau of Meteorology. I appears there has been quite a lot of rain in outback SA. I just hope we are not going to have repeat of last year where a lot of water blew down the lake to the race venue.

I hope this link works.

http://www.bom.gov.au/hydro/flood/sa/
fredeuce
Cookey

Rainfall

Post by Cookey »

62mm at Tarcoola & 66mm at Nonning!

Should help fill the campsite tanks maybe!!
Marty Hicks

Rainfall

Post by Marty Hicks »

Water in rainwater tank = :D

Water on salt lake = :(
MEMBER #439
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

it will dry up :roll: :roll: :roll: i hope :shock: :shock: :shock:
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
outbacktrev

Rainfall

Post by outbacktrev »

Hi All,
Had a BIG night last night with local State Emergency Service, ALL roads from-to Whyalla are CLOSED, ALL roads out of Pt Augusta are CLOSED and I have no idea of how much rain we had but it was a BL**DY lot. :?: 900mm across Whyalla-Pt Augusta Rd at 0500hr 20/1/7 (Road Closed) and bituman starting to lift! :cry: Road still CLOSED at the time of sending this. Yes, the tanks at the camp will be full, but they still have to service a lot of people! :roll:
Water on the Lake at the moment won't be an issue, GETTING TO THE LAKE WILL BE AN ISSUE. :cry:
I will attempt to keep you informed as to the condition of everything as I find out. :idea:
I think the drought has broken! :lol:
Cheers,
Trevor
momec

Oh Shit

Post by momec »

So Trev
In your opinion (and I'd like to hear the glass half full version) the Lake will have time to dry by March?

I presume by what you've written that all the floodways will be washed out. Will they have to be at least roughly repaired by then for locals to access there properties etc.

Please keep us as updated as possible as you know a lot of us are now at the stage of spending lots of money on stuff that will be a waste if 07 is washed out.

thanks Chris
Acme Racing #251
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Yes Please!

I was only talking with Big Gaz about booking tickets down to Adelaide a couple of days ago. Saw the news this weekend talking about flooding in SA and thought I'd better take a look at the weather websites. Doesn't sound good at the moment, let's hope it dries out.

Thanks to the SA guys who will no doubt pass info on to the rest of us out-of-towners.

Lynchy
big chook

Post by big chook »

Hi salties, read the rainfall figures in the Advertiser today Iron Knob 58mm Woomera 75mm , Nonning 117mm and Mt Ive station is in the middle , does not look good ,lets hope for plenty of sunshine . cheers Mick
outbacktrev

Opinion Only!

Post by outbacktrev »

Chris and others,
As we speak roads to Whyalla open again except Whyalla-Iron Knob road (this is only because of a creek in one area) Pt Augusta -Iron Knob open and good. :lol: Mt Ive road still closed. :cry:
This part in now opinion the fist bit was fact, :?
If we don't get any more rain (not expected) access to Mt Ive should be OK but the road will probably be a little rougher than usual because the graders won't have time to grade the whole road before the race meeting. :(
Everything, for a change, should be lovely and green! :shock:
As far as water on the lake I think it will be OK but I will be talking with Len, Brian or Neville (Mt Ive managers) closer to the event regarding water on the lake but I believe it WON'T be a problem provided more rain doesn't happen (not expected) 8) . So keep working and packing :lol:
Cheers,
Trevor
hawkwind racing

thanks

Post by hawkwind racing »

Thanks Trev ,keep us updated :D
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
momec

Post by momec »

Thanks Trev
We are on track
Seeya Chris
Acme Racing #251
Greg Watters

evaporation

Post by Greg Watters »

Had a look at the evaporation maps for Feb, in that area its ~300-350mm
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climate/c ... ration.cgi
Should give us a nice new surface with no ruts from last year :D
outbacktrev

Post by outbacktrev »

Well g'day,
Hot of the press, spoke to Neville (one of the Mt Ive station managers at 1800hr today). :wink:
Road to Mt Ive from Iron Knob is expected to be CLOSED until at least mid next week :oops:
Lake has water as far as the eye can see but not sure how deep :cry:
Rain water tanks are chockers :D
Camp hasn't been blown or washed away :o
The road when open will be a little rougher and will require marginally more travelling time to get to the Lake as the graders can not possibly grade the road in such a short time :roll:
As was pointed out in the previous post evaporation rate is quite high so I would still keep preparing/packing as it's not over yet :D
Cheers,
Trevor
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

hey Trev , is there a slight chance? of len grading road to camp ? have been warning new enquirers of a bad road!Hope no more wet , but shit , we're going anyway-no racin',more drinkin' Cheers Bob #66 C/GCC.
outbacktrev

Graded camp road

Post by outbacktrev »

Bob,
I reckon Len and his blokes might have more on their mind than the road to the camp and I wouldn't rely on it being graded. :cry: (They may drag the tyre up and down a few times and fill in the wash aways) :lol:
Temperatures around here now are mid to high 20's and breeze is blowing so hopefully evaporation rate will be at max and all will be dry in time. :roll:
Will keep you informed if anything changes :wink:
Cheers,
Trevor