When's The Best Time To Go To Speedweek

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Dee

Post by Dee »

Hey everyone, I'm new here and i was thinkin about going to the speedweek in March but i dont know when's the best time or day to go?

Could anyone help me with this problem?

Cheers, Dee
Dee

Post by Dee »

Also how long will it take to get from Adelaide to Lake Gardiner. i Thought it was about 550 kms and that would take 5-6 hours???

Any help would be good.
big chook

Post by big chook »

Hi Dee , welcome to the forum . allow 6-7 hrs travel from Adelaide ,with recent rains the track from Iron Knob to the lake may still be a little slow , as far as best days to attend Tuesday thru to Friday am is when it all happens , hope to see you there .cheers Mick ps speedweek runs from 5th-9th
outbacktrev

Trip time and best time to go to the Lake

Post by outbacktrev »

Dee,
Adelaide (Gepps Cross) to Pt Augusta is a 3hr sensible drive. Pt Augusta to Iron Knob about 3/4hr. You're on all bituman so far. :cry:
Turn right about 3/4km past Iron Knob onto Nonning/Kyancutta rd.
. Now you're on the dirt. :D You now have 129km of reasonable dirt till you turn off to the right (will be flagged sign posted etc) Conventional vehicle (Ford Holden etc) approx 2hr (being sensible). :roll: Turn off to the lake is about 30km this will take about 3/4hr. Have you been adding this up? about 6.5hrs driving time, would see you there comfortably discounting tyre damage, pee stops or whatever! :wink: No doubt I'm going to get hammered for the times I am suggesting but these are comfortable driving times, some of us will do it in a LOT less time :shock:

Best days from a spectator point of veiw would be Tuesday AM to Thursday PM. The driving times are fact the best days is only my opinion. I'll be there Friday March 2nd about lunch time. :idea:

Cheers,
Trevor :wink:

PS To ALL reading this FUEL or FOOD are NOT AVAILABLE at IRON KNOB roadhouse (It's closed again and up for sale, I have verified this today) So grab your fuel and last supplies at Pt Augusta. (Fuel is available at Mt Ive)
outbacktrev

Oops

Post by outbacktrev »

Hi All again!
My last post explaning to turn off after Iron Knob onto Nonning/Kyancutta Rd should have read turn off to Nonning/Kingoonya Rd. :idea: Humble and unreserved apologies to all :oops: and you just beat me Big Chook, see ya there :lol:
Cheers,
Trevor :roll:
Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks everyone for the advice.

So if the main things happen in the morning, what happens in the late afternoon or evening.

Also as i'm still in high school i'm doing a project on landspeed racing and was hopefully gonna get there but if i'd have to let leave during the evening or something to get there.

i was also hoping that if i was to get there my plan was to interview a few drivers and talk about their cars.

I went to that car show at Regency Park and had the pleasure to meet Gail Phillips and what a wonderful woman she is.

I'm starting to have doubts about going now. :cry:

Its alright MAYBE next year.
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dee

The big runs are usually first thing in the morning. First thing being when Cled shows up to perform his starting duties, the timing van is manned, safety crews are in place and there are no technical glitches with timing, radios etc.

The afternoon/evening is bench racing time which is when all the stories start coming out - a bit like fishing... yes there is drinking involved and it may not be proper place for a student.

An alternative for you if getting to the lake and getting out in the evening turn into a drama is to do your interviewing on the Saturday morning (4th March) at the Big 4 Caravan Park in Port Augusta. A lot of the big names stay there for the night before the final drive to the lake.

Legends such as Chris Hanlon and Bob Ellis with their mighty XP's and Don Noble with his big hat all congregate there after the loooooooong drive down from sunny Queensland. Seriously, a lot of the guys stay there on the way in and are very approachable - they all love talking about themselves!

2 and a bit weeks to go!!!

Lynchy
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

G'day Dee,

If you can't get to Speed Week, here's a few spots to gather information...
The Landracing web site in the U.S. Tons of info and current news.
http://landracing.com/

Some of our guys participate in the Landracing forum along with other legends of the sport.
http://www.landracing.net/forum/

Official site of the Southern California Timing Association. They're the administrators of this hobby-obbsession (includes the other dry lakes).
http://www.scta-bni.org/

There's another event on the East side of the U.S. called The Maxton Mile, it's held on a cement landing strip. The guy that set up and helps run Maxton is coming to Lake Gairdner this year with a Camaro.
http://www.ecta-lsr.com/

That should keep you busy and run-up you're internet connection bill, but it would be rude not to include these...

The Texas Mile.
http://www.texasmile.com/

If you're into motorbikes, Dennis Manning's company BUB, run an annual event on the salt at Bonneville.
http://bub.com/index.html

And, this guy's put together a condensed history of LSR and the vehicles involved.
http://www.peterrenn.clara.net/l.s.r.html

There are other events in different parts of the world and then there's hundreds of team sites, gather names and google away.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Dee

Post by Dee »

Hey thanks everyone for the advice and links.

If i was to go i was gonna leave at like lunch time on a wednesday and get there in the evening so that i can see the cars on thursday morning then maybe leave that night cos i have school and can't really miss out on a lot of days.
Does anyone think that'll work?? :D
Greg Watters

thurs

Post by Greg Watters »

Try to allow 2 days at the lake , if you can't then at least check there is no wind forcast for the thurs , only takes a windy day to stop racing and it would be a pity to get that far and not see some action.
swozzie

Post by swozzie »

Hi Dee,

Don't know exactly where you're from and if it would be affordable for you but one way to get out there just for the day would be to fly...

check out Lindsey Matthews's post on http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=509

Hope you can make it...

Cheers, Ev
DLRA # 443

2005 - TZ350 - M/G - 120.4mph
2006 - Yam R1 - MPS/G - 151.789mph , too slow
2007 - wanna have a go at going fast.....
2012 - SCTA. AMA & FIM - ABG1000 - 192 & 202mph
Dee

Post by Dee »

If i was to get there and be there where abouts do the spectators stay overnight.

Like can they camp on the salt flat or next to the salt at all?
big chook

Post by big chook »

Hi Dee, only the priveledged few camp on the lake ,there is a spectators camp only a few hundred metres off the lake directly behind the canteen ,quite a few stay there but its pretty much bare bones ;eg cold showers ,not sure on camp fees etc. cheers Mick member#360
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dee

If you are planning on staying overnight you will need a tent or something to sleep in. The spectator's camp is basic as chook has said. You won't need to bring too much in the way of food in as there is a canteen next to the salt just down from the spectators campsite. The canteen serves up great meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner. Make sure you travel with plenty of water though - you wouldn't want to take a wrong turn and break down.

Lynchy
Dee

Post by Dee »

Thanks everyone.

I've got a 70-80% chance of going.

YAY!!! :lol:

Thankyou all you guys are top blokes.

Might see ya there.

Dee