Bikes for Bonneville 2007

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Assen

Post by Assen »

I know what your saying - if it ends up with just the 2 bikes then the crate option would be far cheaper. Plenty of time left to convince a few I reckon
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Richard

Below are details I have discoverd so far.
Fairly self explainitory.

Hope this does not confuse you

I will have to drop out. Looks like I will be OS on Business. Hope it works out and you can get there.
Graeme

I have received costing for moving container of bikes ex Melbourne to Los Angeles and return.

Please find following all details below relating to conditions and process for shipment.

1. Our agent has requested that bikes be packed into crates for easy packing - if your client can not arrange this then Primary Freight Services (and their depot) will require a letter from your client advising that they do not hold them liable for any liability for any damages incurred due to loading/unloaded - please ensure that your client is well aware of this & that they arrange for cargo to be placed in crates for safety whilst being shipped.

2. Rates are also based on cargo moving under a Carnet - otherwise Duty/VAT taxes will be incurred at both ends which will need to be paid by the consignee before he can obtain his cargo. You can talk to Len regarding application of the Carnet.

3. Any other applicable charges due in LA once cargo arrives will be for the account of the consignee & will need to be paid by the consignee prior to cargo being released to them - obviously these charges would not be known until clearance is arranged.

4. It will also be the clients responsibility to take delivery of the trail bikes from our depot in LA and deliver back there once they are ready for export. We have been advised that U-Haul would be the best company for them to contact to arrange movement of these bikes to Bonneville, Utah.

5. Under no circumstances is the client allowed to load the cargo into the containers at our depot in LA - if he wishes to do this himself then we can arrange to have empty container delivered to him where he can load himself & we will move from there - obviously additional charges would apply should this be the case.

6. Bikes, obviously, would need to be moved with minimal amount of fuel or no fuel preferably.

Please also not that the attached costings DO NOT include any Insurance - we strongly suggest that they take insurance out on these bikes prior to export.

We would also require the original Carnet to be delivered to my office in Melbourne, I wil onforward this (via courier) to our agent in LA so they can arrange import/export clearance of this cargo & once bikes were returned, I would have this couriered back to my office for re importation in Melbourne.

Please find attached a Spreadsheet including all costs as requested.

There is a few things that I will need to arrange prior to export and re import of the bikes to ensure that there are no implications with Customs or AQIS.

USA cont…. EX FOB LOS ANGLES DEPOT TO MELBOURNE PORT:

Rates ex LA Depot:-
Export Clearance (Carnet): US$ 210.00 per Entry
Pick up empty Container, re-load
into used crates, repack into
container & cart to wharf: US$1060.00 per Container
Pier Pass: US$ 50.00 per 20ft Cntr US$ 100.00 per 40ft Cntr
Handling Fee: US$ 80.00 per Bill of Lading

Option 1 - Weekly Sailings, approx 18-22 Days Transit Time:
Ocean Freight - FCL: US$3560.00 per 20ft Cntr US$5320.00 per 40ft Cntr
plus BAF (Currnetly) - FCL: US$ 350.00 per 20ft Cntr US$ 700.00 per 40ft Cntr

Options 2 - Weekly Sailings via Shina, approx 48-50 Days Transit Time:
Ocean Freight - FCL: US$2190.00 per 20ft Cntr US$2820.00 per 40ft Cntr
(All Inclusive) (All Inclusive)

Local Charges:
Port Charges - FCL: As per outlay with carrier
Delivery Order Fee: A$ 60.00 per B/L
SCA: A$ 20.00 per B/L
S/Line Doc Fee A$ 60.00 per B/L
Sec Surcharge A$15.00 per B/L
Customs Clearance A$200.00 per Entry
Sea Cargo Automation A$ 35.00 per Entry
CMR Fee A$ 10.00 per Entry
Cartage Based on Location of Delivery for unpack

PLEASE NOTE: Rates based on Six (6) Trail Bikes only being shipped per
container.

Rates are based on supplier delivery cargo back to our
depot for Export Packing.

Should we not be able to re-use crates and need to get
new ones made, additional costs will apply & you will be
advised of this at time of shipment.

Rates valid for 30 days only.

SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE
[/quote]
Assen

Post by Assen »

Thanks for the info Graeme - a lot of good points there. If we dont get enough bikes to fill the container then the crate option is always there.
Shame you couldnt make it :( - Im sure this wont be the last time we go so maybe next year will be an option.

Cheers Richard
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

I still think the best option is to ship to Alameda/Oakland as LA area adds another 6 or more hours to the drive to Wendover. An incredible amount of containerized shipping comes in here.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

i`ll second that on the advice i recieved from a bloke who runs a engineering business here, and who comes from the sanfran area,, told me you will eliminate a lot of headaches by shipping through the port of oakland :wink:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Assen

Post by Assen »

Good advice gents, definately the best option to go through the port at Oakland. Any option that reduces the cost is a good one as far as Im concerned. Looks like I may be shipping on my own so will need to make up a crate to keep the bike safe and sound while in transit.
Received the ERC fuel this week (A-8C) so will be testing shortly - be interesting to see how it compares to the Martini fuel I have been using with good results.
Will keep you posted on progress
Richard
Scott Guthrie

Post by Scott Guthrie »

:D
Last edited by Scott Guthrie on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Sultan of Speed"
258 MPH @ Bonneville,
251.148 MPH, @ Goliad Motorcycle track record
242 MPH @ Maxton,
215 MPH "naked"
200 official timeslips at over 200 MPH, on 10 bikes, and in 3 cars!
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I will be definatley interested in Running bonneville 08, if that helps anyone out, was toying with making a visit this year but would rather spend cash on mi bike... :shock: :shock: :shock:
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

my travel plans to the bub event are all paid for and locked in for this year 8) ,,, "one" off the reasons for my surjoin this year is to get a real feel for the place with the view to taking my bike over, next year :?:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Assen

Post by Assen »

See you at the salt gents - I'll poke up a kiwi flag :wink:
The bike is nearly ready and will get a final dyno mid June.
Currently building a steel crate to protect the bike during transit 1.2mx1.2mx3m long - collapsable - no wood and no vegemite.
Will be using Select Freight Services to ship the bike as they seem to have plenty of experience for this type of shipping - final quote due any day.
Will be shipping into Oakland, CA - No need for a carnet as bike is not intended for road use but will still require documentation from Vic Chamber of Commerce.
Also midway through obtaining FIM licence - insurance is a killer :shock:
Will post all relevant costs and requirements when I have solid and reliable details
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Much appreciate the forth coming information Richard.

good luck in your endeavours
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

I second that Gazza4onthe floor
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

Ronnie,Dave,and all--let me know if you need any help on this end. And what your travel plans are?
Assen

Post by Assen »

Folks,

Here is a breakdown of the quoted costs for a crate shipped from Melbourne to Oakland and Back Again.
All up for 4 cubic metres the cost will be close to $5,000 AUD

The shipper is: selectfs.com.au

Melbourne to Oakland based on 1 cbm
Wharf to door
LCL Cargo A$ 245.00 per Cubic Meter / 1000kgs.Whichever is greater or Min A245.00
Transit Time: 28 - 32 Days via Los Angeles
Frequency: Weekly Sailings
Export Documentation A$ 95.00

IMPORT USA CHARGES IN US DOLLARS
Even though the bike will be used off road I would recommend using a carnet if possible otherwise the bike will have to be entered as a temporary import and a temporary import bond will have to be taken out based on three times the value of the Bike.

Import consolidation charges (estimated) $215.00
Customs import entry $245.00 (carnet or temporary import entry)
Temporary import bond (if not using a carnet) $5.50 per $1000.00 of the value based on 3 times the value
Harbor fee and merchandise processing fee $65.00 (minimum)
Local delivery in Oakland $285.00 (based on owner unloading from truck)

EXPORT EX OAKLAND USA TO MELBOURNE
Collection and deliver to export loading point $255.00 (based on owner loading crate onto truck)
Obtaining customs release to export a motor vehicle $160.00
Export customs entry $180.00
Export warehouse loading charges $50.00
Ocean Freight ex Oakland to arrival Melbourne $205.00 per cbm/1000 kilos

IMPORT LOCAL MELBOURNE CHARGES
PORT SERVICE $95.00AUD PER CBM
SEACARGO $35.00 AUD PER SHIPMENT
DELIVERY ORDER FEE $65.00 AUD PER SHIPMENT
THC $25.00AUD PER CBM
ADMIN FEE $10.00 AUD PER SHIPMENT
CUSTOMS CLEARANCE $300.00 AUD PER SHIPMENT
AQIS LODGMENT $120.00 AUD PER SHIPMENT

( ABOVE COSTS DO NOT INCLUDE DUTY TAXES /IMPORT GST/ FUMIGATION / STORAGE/ QUARANTINE INSPECTION)
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Its hard to understand Richard how these charges mount up.

I just had some large engineering equipment which filled the 20ft container sent to Mayalsia , KL ( Port Klang ) out of Sydney and the cost was $375USD.. port to port.

$5K seems rich but obviously it includes alota hand to hand at both ends who at the end of the day dont add any value to the chain of events.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice