Bikes for Bonneville 2007

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

hawkwind racing

WTF

Post by hawkwind racing »

5 big ones :shock: :shock: I was giving serious thought of trying to go 08 ,but if its that much just to transport 1 bike there and back ,not a snow balls chance in hell of me ever going :cry:
Gary
Dr Goggles

world Trade Federation

Post by Dr Goggles »

Golly-Gosh! :shock:

how much can one get for a left nut these days?....or maybe one could "work their passage" :oops: :oops:

I thought one day I'd like to take our tank to Bonneville , dream on brother! :cry:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

A one off bike in a crate is not realy comparable to bikes in a container,
how long is the "tank" Dr G , would it fit above a few bikes in a 20ft container ??
Dr Goggles

how big is it Doctor?

Post by Dr Goggles »

it's 870mm at it's highest point with wheels and tyres(still over 800 w/o 'em), and about 3.4m long minus the tail.It could be shortened down to about 3m...........can't go there til we've shaken it down properly and at least had a crack at a record at Gairdner though.....how's One Ewe? :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

One Ewe is fine , even made it on the footy show last Thursday (probably the only footy show i'll watch all year :lol: )

That would fit in neatly with some bikes, maybe those that are planing for 08 should be starting to organise now carrying on from this groundwork .i have bailed out from this year but intending to be ready for 08.
Assen

Post by Assen »

$5k is pricey alright and contains heaps of port handling costs :shock: . Some of these can be reduced by organising delivery to and from port at each end.
The cost for a 20' container for the same journey would be just less than $10k all up so worth getting a few racers together for next year which reduce costs considerably :)

I have been advised to get an ATA Carnet to save any hassles by US customs - Vic Chamber of Commerce organises this and it works out a lot cheaper than the AAA version.

For FIM records here is some more info
* Get your FIM road racing license from MA (Motorcycling Australia)
* Get a rider release to ride in the USA from MA
* Submit your World record application to MA who will send it directly to FIM this has to get there by a 60 day deadline mandated by the FIM (about 3rd July 07). MA should have these forms but I have attached a copy for your reference. You also have to submit photos etc and the details can be found in the world record book on the FIM website. Tech inspection will be done at the event.

Our FIM details are as follows: FIM IMN # 197/01

Lastly- you are not required to: but if you want to do National USA records you will need to be an AMA member (american motorcyclist association). this is available at the event. Your entry fee automatically covers AMA- the only additional cost would be $39 for AMA membership, and I would need to know what class you would fit for AMA (rules are on our website- the class structure for AMA is similar to the motorcycle rules for DLRA- but there are some slight differences.
w3stie

OFF TOPIC

Post by w3stie »

I used to ride motorbikes when I were a lad. I'd get on and tell myself I wouldn't do anything silly. I'd get off where I was going to, with my hands shaking and wondering why I'd just done that. By the time I reached thirty I figured I'd grown out of all that. Nope. I had kids by then so thought I'd better just leave the whole bike scene.

So this may colour my thinking today. But anyone who rides bikes is mad. Anyone who races bikes is certifiably insane. And anyone who rides or attempts to ride a bike at over 200mph has probably punched through to the other side. Look at Burt Munro. You're all mad :wink:
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

Yup. Your point??
:mrgreen:
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Dirty old men need lovin too, And you live more in five minutes on a bike than most live in there life time,,,,and even my girlfriend know i won't stop pissing on my lemon tree.............

Hey FiremanJim I have a friend in Sydney Building supposedly the Fastest street Harley Turbo Buell, thought you would be interested on there progress, they have some good heads working on the project,
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Dr Goggles

Re: OFF TOPIC

Post by Dr Goggles »

w3stie wrote:I used to ride motorbikes when I were a lad. I'd get on and tell myself I wouldn't do anything silly. I'd get off where I was going to, with my hands shaking and wondering why I'd just done that. By the time I reached thirty I figured I'd grown out of all that. Nope. I had kids by then so thought I'd better just leave the whole bike scene.

So this may colour my thinking today. But anyone who rides bikes is mad. Anyone who races bikes is certifiably insane. And anyone who rides or attempts to ride a bike at over 200mph has probably punched through to the other side. Look at Burt Munro. You're all mad :wink:

did the simultaneous touch of both mirrors yesterday while lane splitting , thought " mmmm, that was pushing it."....... ten minutes later I clipped the TOP of my helmet on a truck mirror :shock: that was a new one......wasn't even in a hurry really......
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

Well he can have the "Street" title as my Buell will never see the street again. Keep me informed and get pics.
Supposed to get mine back from getting exhaust and turbo hung and intercooler tank made. Got my Motec stuff to fit up and awaiting the throttle body and intake manifold. Lots to do.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Firemanjim,,
When i said street harley i was actualy refuring as a dragbike class streetbike stock chassis no wheelie bars all motor..probebly not a daily commuter........
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
Assen

Post by Assen »

Well folks I'm past the point of no return now as the bike is on the water. :D
The shipping came to $1,760 AUD delivered to Mike Ackatiff's yard in San Jose California. Entry port is Oakland. Will cost around the same for return

The costs for FIM entry added up because of the insurance - $750, licence $50, BUB entry $425 USD!!
Took the bike up to Kyabram to be inspected by Ian Souter as he has the necessary credentials.
Required a lot of liasing with Sarah Milroy at Motorcycling Australia as the whole process is new to them - not any more tho so next year should be easier.

Did a final dyno run just before shipping to map the new ECU and blew the rear tyre at 200mph in 5th!! :o :shock: It blasted rubber everywhere and mashed the undertail radiator hand crafted by Norm and his boys at Aussie Desert Coolers. He promptly made me a new one in record time - great job. Too much heat in tyre causing de-lamination - lesson learned - let it cool between full throttle runs.

Looking forward to catching up with all the folk in the US and will write a report on my return to help with next years plans for all concerned :)
Richard
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Good luck Richard and really do envy you. Sounds like a great adventure and another one of life's "gotta tick the box"

take care, be safe and chase some speed
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Good luck Richard
I wish I was going with you
Maybe next year.
keep safe and have a heap of fun :D
Graeme