Bikes for Bonneville 2007

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Assen

Bikes for Bonneville 2007

Post by Assen »

Folks
Just because the lake was wisely closed this year for racing its not the end of the world. There is always bonneville to fill the gap in 6 months time.
I am interested in anyone keen to join me in taking a few bikes over for the BUB and World of Speed events - the first 2 weeks of September. There is a gap of 5 days between the two events to get the bikes ready for more racing.
I am trying to get enough bikes to fill a 20' container - you can fit 8 bikes if you do it right. I am getting quotes at the moment so I will post any info when I get it.

Cheers Richard

My details
(03) 9467 7035 (home)
0408 533 624 (mobile)
rich_assen@hotmail.com
hawkwind racing

Post by hawkwind racing »

Richard unless you want to shout me ,Im out
Gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Can't say yes yet but definitely interested.
Started selling off all unnecessary items to beef up the slush fund.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Richard
I could be interested.

Crazy really.
I am yet to even run the bike in anger and have only made it to Bacchus Marsh befor this years event was cancelled.

What size container do you want a quote on?
Which port do you ned to have it land at?
I can get a quote through my contacts as well and let you know
Graeme
Assen

Post by Assen »

I had a quote in today for $5k from Melbourne to Wendover Utah for a 20' container with bikes. I have to get that verified as I think it was only one way - hope not
Melbourne to LA return would do it then just hire a truck for the 10 hour drive from there. I could maybe get somewhere to park the container in LA with a mate.
I think you have to use ERC fuels for the BUB event? - Northern 4x4 on Plenty rd Melb are gettin some in if you want to dyno up b4 you go.
Close your eyes and dream of red line in every gear and hold it there - priceless :P
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I will get a quote and let you know the options
Are we talking a 20' or 40' container?
Graeme H
Assen

Post by Assen »

We are looking at a 20' at this stage which should get 8 bikes in plus gear.
If you want to run for FIM records you need to get a licence - Motorcycles Australia have the forms and details - http://www.fim.ch/en/fmn/www.ma.org.au

Fuel specs from ERC http://www.ercracingfuels.com/

Ship will need to leave mid july

Cheers Richard
firemanjim

Post by firemanjim »

If you ship them to Bay Area--Oakland,Alameda.SF(that is where we shipped the Ack and our bikes from) I can assist with logistics on this end.And my brother has a HUGE motorhome with garage/liftgate built into the back, so could probably steal that from him to assist.Plus it is a much shorter drive to salt.I-80 is the freeway to Wendover and it goes through all those cities including my hometown of Vacaville and where I work in Vallejo.From my door to Wendover is 600 miles of freeway.

Be sure and get hold of Gary Peterson,Wayne MacDonald,Dirty Dave,Ronnie Staytie.All I can think of now,but they all had an interest in Bonneville.
Assen

Post by Assen »

Great idea Jim,

I will get shipping quotes for Melb to SF asap. We may need somewhere to park the container in SF - I will ask my shippers at this end as they may have a site there already
Cheers Richard
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Assen , pack a couple of big jars of vegemite for Jim.He loves the stuff!! Cheers Bob #66 C/GCC.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

richard, i am gunna have to give it a miss, that is taking my bike over this year, reason being i am already committed to the trip (bub event), and it will cost me too much to change my travel plans,, however i am more than willing to play pit crew for anyone or everyone (aussies) at the bub meeting, also if you need an aussie on the ground (sanfran) the week before , i can help you out there 8)

jim, everyone seems to get tangled up with the pronoucation of my sirname, which surprises me a little :? , as it is pronuced the same as state, in your u.s.a, no worries ,, everyone calls me stay`tee :wink:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
ACK

Post by ACK »

This is the freight forwarder we used when we shipped our stuff to Australia and back in 06. They packed everything in a 40 foot container along with our help and did all the custom paper work. They are at the port of Oakland about 50 miles from us and across the bay from San Francisco. The Port of Oakland is the main container port. I don’t think San Francisco even has container facilities anymore.

Aladdin Freight Forwarding
401 Lesser St
Oakland, CA 94601
(510) 533-0400

The freight forwarder in Australia was:

CT Freight Pty Ltd
1 Frank Collopy Court
Adelaide Airport
SA 5950
Tel 08-82344500
Fax 08-82344694

You are going to need a Carnet to get the goods into the country without paying duty or tax I believe it was about 1% of the value of the goods although someone told me recently there is a free trade agreement now and you may not need one.

The freight forwarder in Australia really didn’t have anyone to pack the goods when we arrived back at the port in Adelaide and in addition it was some kind of holiday in Adelaide and the port was closed. The next day the container operators just wanted us to leave all of our stuff outside of the building and said they wouldn’t be able to load it for about a week or two so we ended up loading it ourselves with the help of one of their forklift guys that took pity on us and gave us a hand. The other thing that was expensive was the insurance on the goods and equipment in the container. We elected not to insure it, if you do put a reasonable value on everything as the premium is based upon the value. If you don’t insure it, pack well.

If you want to pack and unpack yourself you could arrange for customs clearance in Oakland and have the container trucked to our facility where you could unload and store it then reload for the trip home. We have a forklift available. The other option is to have the container shipped to the salt. A number of people have done this over the years. I don’t know what the cost would be but it saves renting trucks and driving to Utah. You can fly into Salt Lake City and rent a couple of vans or a motor home to get to the salt. Rooms should not be a problem if you come for the Bub and World final events.

The other thing we found was when we announced we were going there were lots of people that said they were going with us but in the end we basically went alone taking the Amo’s and Fireman Jim because there was room in our container. So my advise is make sure you have serious people who won’t back out before you do a lot of work and make a commitment to go.

If you come make sure you bring the Animal. Immigration might not let him through. If need be just lock him in the container with beer, vegemite and beet root for the trip.
Mopar Man

Post by Mopar Man »

Assen wrote:I had a quote in today for $5k from Melbourne to Wendover Utah for a 20' container with bikes. I have to get that verified as I think it was only one way - hope not

I deal with shipping boxes everyday, I'm a fleet controller for a local Melbourne co. I just asked a few freight forwarders and the best estimate was 5K $US each way to/from SF. Thats not including transport here or to/from Utah. For the dlra I'd organise a sideloader here for ya's cheap, so ya could pack it ya back yard and then deliver it to the wharf....

There's also not much price difference between 20's and 40's either... I guess most freight forwarders would give you similar prices.
DLRA member # 486
Assen

Post by Assen »

Stayt`ie wrote:richard, i am gunna have to give it a miss, that is taking my bike over this year, reason being i am already committed to the trip (bub event), and it will cost me too much to change my travel plans,, however i am more than willing to play pit crew for anyone or everyone (aussies) at the bub meeting, also if you need an aussie on the ground (sanfran) the week before , i can help you out there 8)

jim, everyone seems to get tangled up with the pronoucation of my sirname, which surprises me a little :? , as it is pronuced the same as state, in your u.s.a, no worries ,, everyone calls me stay`tee :wink:

No problem Ronnie - all the help at the other end is valued so will keep you posted.

Thanks also for your good advice Ack. - I reckon the best option is to ship to the salt to keep the process simplified. I will set a cut-off date for end of May for interested parties to join so that way there is time to confirm container, crate, airfreight or seafreight. Im always impressed by US hospitality - looking forward to meeting up with you all
Greg Watters

Bonne

Post by Greg Watters »

Richard, my budget could only extend to sharing between 4 bikes minimum , hope there is more interest !