Roadster front ends

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

panhead_pete

Roadster front ends

Post by panhead_pete »

Am looking at commencing building a STR class car, initially with a relatively small motor and perhaps stepping it up each year. Now Im a fan of doing things once and doing it right. I really would apprecaite some input in relation to the choice of front end. Is a dropped I beam the best route or should I consider an aftermarket independent set up. My ultimate gaol is 200 +, perhaps as an A or AA engine. The other thing to consider is it will need to maintain a roadworthy status when not on the salt. Thanks.
Dreaming of the salt in 08.
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

Aerodynamically, a tube axle would be much better than an I-beam, Pete. Check the rules, but I'm pretty sure you can run either.

In regards to a 200mph roadster and street reg... let's just say it would be a challenge!

Apart from the fact you'd have to go through rego after each engine change, the safety requirements required to run 175mph+ may be frowned upon by the rego authorities.

Stupid, I know, but you'd better think and plan well ahead.

There is a guy in the US who built a '32 roadster that ran 200+ on the salt, a 9sec quarter and won its fair share of show trophies. Let's just say he's got a few bob to throw around. :)

I'll see if I can find a link or some pics of the car. Forget his name right now.

EDIT:

Took me a while, but I found it. Jack and Harry Stirnemann.

Harry's got this '37 Chev that runs 10s... with a turbo'd six!

This is the car they DROVE to the salt. Set a new record in D/STR at 203 plus change, then drove home!

It also runs a 9sec quarter and was then blown apart, painted and detailed and was a contender for America's Most Beautiful Roadster.

Pics by Don Dillard http://donshotrodpage.net/

That's some serious shit going on there, Pete. Good luck! :)
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Pete, there is no doubt it would be challenging, but it certainly can be done. Whether you can get to 200 mph will probably depend on your depth of pocket, a lot of horsepower is needed for that. I would guess around a $20,000 motor would be your starting point.
As to the construction of the car, that will mostly be set by the rego requirements. A tube axle will be a bit better in the streamlining, but I don't really like them because of their welded construction. In years gone by, it was not uncommon to see them break at the weld in any sort of impact situation, even relatively minor ones.
I think a drop axle is likely to be a bit less drag than an independent front end, but the independant front end will drive and handle a lot better on the street.
All the special safety gear can be basically made as bolt in, if the car is built with that in mind. I can't think of anything that would stop you taking the car back on the street after each meeting. Probably the biggest hassle would be the corrosion in all your nuts and bolts under the car. They can be extremly hard to get undone if you leave them alone after a meeting.
A problem with your engine idea is that engines are very expensive, and you are unlikely to get the best out of an engine with just one meeting.
A look at the records will show that except for Chuck Salmen, no roadster of any class has cracked 200.
Norm Hardinge's 34 is closest at 195 in Modified Roadster, with Ray Charlton at 185 in street roadster.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member