Salt build up

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Graeme H

Salt build up

Post by Graeme H »

I am nearly over the dissappointment of not making my debut at the salt this year and have turned my attention to 2008.

Should we be raising the clearance of the front guard on the yamaha to allow for potential salt build up or is it best to remove the guard altogether?

I have no idea if the build up of salt on the front tyre (or rear for that matter) is an issue or not.

Is there a Victorian meeting planned anytime soon?
cheers
Graeme
DON NOBLE

Re: Salt build up

Post by DON NOBLE »

Graeme H wrote:I am nearly over the dissappointment of not making my debut at the salt this year and have turned my attention to 2008.

Should we be raising the clearance of the front guard on the yamaha to allow for potential salt build up or is it best to remove the guard altogether?

I have no idea if the build up of salt on the front tyre (or rear for that matter) is an issue or not.

Is there a Victorian meeting planned anytime soon?
cheers
Graeme

yes i believe July 8th has been set aside for the Vic meeting , you better confirm with el presidento .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
David Leikvold

salt buildup

Post by David Leikvold »

Graham,
I'm only guessing but I don't think the salt buildup would be an issue. I'm thinking that it would be self regulating, if the salt was soft enough to fill the entire space between the tyre and the guard it would fall back off over bumps and be thrown out by the tyre. If the salt was hard and dry it wouldn't stick to the tyre nearly as much and wouldn't stick to itself either so it wouldn't buildup in the guard either.
Maybe you could polish the inside of the guard so the surface was smoother and harder to stick to. Or perhaps you could just put a small plastic deflector at the back edge of the mudguard to keep most of the salt out of there in the first place.
I was watching a video of a lakester recently and the salt only stuck to the tyres at low speed at the start and end of a run, at higher speeds (probably only about 120mph+) the tyre tread was black, i.e. salt free.
If you take the guard off you'll have salt everywhere; in the radiator, under the fuel tank, all over the engine, in the wiring under the instruments, etc, etc and you'll also have increased wind drag because the top of the tyre is moving forward at double road speed.
That's my two bob's worth, make of it what you will.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Thanks David
I suspect you are right. Most of the bike I have seen run a standard front guard.

GH
Dr Goggles

non-stick

Post by Dr Goggles »

...just wondering , has anyone tried Lube-Zall , Sheen , Armour-all or even cooking sprays such as "Pure and Simple" to stop salt build up or make it easier to remove????
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
David Leikvold

slick ideas

Post by David Leikvold »

Doc,
Anything that didn't leave a residue on the salt would be a good start. So no WD40. Not much of a problem for your belly tank though. How do people get the salt out from under sedans? That would be a nightmare to do properly. Maybe a very well sealed belly pan would be the shot where they're legal.
I was also thinking that some flexible plastic sheeting, maybe 3 or 4mm thick in wheel arches would help. A few taps with a rubber mallet would get rid of most of the salt. Waddyafink?
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Tux

Post by Tux »

Gidday Campers,

I run a bike with the front guard on, it stops the salt getting in the front of the motor. I havent noticed much salt build up under the guard, certainly not rnough to stop the whhel turning or cause any other problems.

I use a combination of baby oil and metho in a pressurised spray bottle and spray that all over the bike except on tyres and brakes. It doesnt stop the salt getting on but it makes it a breeze to get off and it protects parts from rusting.

Live long and prosper, Tux
SPOOK

Post by SPOOK »

There is a good product called SALTEX sold out of QLD that is great protection also.
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

g`day tux, what ratio metho to baby oil :?:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
SPOOK

salt buildup

Post by SPOOK »

Come on Ron, come clean, what do you realy want to use it for?
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

:lol: ,uummmmm :roll: :wink:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
grumm441

Shopping in Abbotsford

Post by grumm441 »

There's a mob up the road from me that sells elbow grease, although i think they may mean up to the elbow!