Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

should I race this car when its finished, and if so what class

yes.
83%
no, as there's no class for it
No votes
nah, just drive it to the lake and spectate
No votes
build a purpose-built race car, like you've been threatening to do ;)
17%

Total votes: 12

Dr Goggles

sheesh

Post by Dr Goggles »

Hey Gordon
1./ Street class is available to you , you can go 125mph if you like , you've been told that time and time again.Despite what you say your Renault Clio isn't designed to crash at it's maximum speed , no car is . Cars are designed almost without exception to be economical transport , there is no point in a manufacturer designing a car for parameters for which it will never be used because they wouldn't sell enough to make a profit.
a modern car that's designed with safety in mind and packed to the gills with modern safety equipment and proven to be safe by crash testing

so , there wasn't a roll over at 125 mph test last time I looked, the phrase "designed with safety in mind" sounds like sales brochure stuff to me , it's an unqualified statement that rolls off the tongue nicely but doesn't really mean anything.Certainly your Clio is safer than an that old Ford in many ways but I see no basis to assume that it will run any straighter or more predictably at it's top speed.It would corner better and brake quicker to be sure but that's not necessarily the issue here.

2./ Nearly everybody on this message board knows each other from making the effort to go to Lake Gairdner and even if they aren't best friends conduct themselves in a polite manner .You are an anonymous member of this board with no experience in motorsport that can be verified , no car building experience that can be verified and and a whole lot of claims about a car , that, can't be verified. If you had been at the lake , maybe held a record or been involved in a car that had been running even half fast your opinion would be worth , well , something.

3./ You jeer about "supposed safety" and things that belong in a museum yet you have no demonstrable knowledge of the history of land speed racing.If you were more familiar you would know that there are numerous instances of major manufacturers and race teams who have floundered when attempting to "pick off " records , Bar-Honda was a recent one .At the same time there are many records held by privateers with incredible skills and an inate understanding of how to go fast.

5./ The term "cursory inspection" seems to imply that when it comes to scrutineering you know something or more worryingly that you are calling into question either the ability or the integrity of those who vet cars for the club at the meet. Now that would be a brave and unselfish thing for a known club member to do BUT they'd want to be fairly sure of what they were talking about .

6./You have been given the time of day many more times than you would seem to deserve on this message board and as an anonymous participant you aren't treated any differently to another but you seem to have taken personally rules that are quite simple and drawn up from experience. In the most basic terms these rules might stop one from getting out of their depth...too quickly as it were.

For those who missed it here is Gordon's very first sentence on this message board.
I saw the publicity this year's event got. I was sorry I missed it because that weekend I was on a quiet public road not that far away giving my road car a very very illegal run to find out what it'd do. Thought it might be a bit of fun to give it a run all the way out to its top speed on the salt lake at next year's event. And maybe get more involved if it is.

I like you Gordon , I like people who aren't afraid to go out on a limb and make a dickhead of themselves for a laugh , you are joking aren't you?
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:dyt ... Donkey.jpg
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Very Diplomatic Dr Goggles,

Gordon I have been a member of the Australian National Drag Racing Assoc. National Control Council for almost ten years, And have witnessed some horrific motorsport accidents in my life growing up around motorsport,
I raced and crashed motorcycle for years, also pitcrew on a Nitrofunny car, The amount of money spent on Safety equipment on some of the race vehicles would cost more than your French Tin Can,
You Obviously haven't a #### clue what your talking about.
Goggle is spot on your shit box only goes as fast as it does because its has the bare minimum of steal they are allowed to make the car from so it is economical, the safety tests are conducted at low speeds,

Its Absolute wankers like you than bring professional law abiding racers into disrepute by going out on city streets and killing and injuring innocent bystanders.
Don't Worry, It only seems Kinky the first time..
weezilco

Re: Gordon fn G

Post by weezilco »

big chook wrote:can someone please make GordonD go away , he has'nt got a clue what our club and what safety represent .

Yes, Gordon doesn't understand the need for the rules we've got- but he shouldn't be forcibly shoved out the door (i.e. banned from the forum). He won't learn anything that way. The rules are both fully defensible and there's people here who are knowledgeable of them and articulate enough to defend them.

At the end of the day, your ass ain't worth a line on a page in the record book.

Mind you, Gordon's already indicated that if DLRA won't let him run a passenger car on the salt without proper safety gear, he'll go out on public roads and risk not just his ass but others' asses as well.

Gordon is the kind of person the do-gooders in road safety lobby groups are thinking of when they propose mandatory speed limiters for new cars. These fascists reckon that if a few morons won't follow rules, it should be made impossible for anyone to break them. The do-gooders have a point- when the max legal speed limit is 110-130km/h, there's no defensible reason to sell new cars capable of anything faster. If these nongs get their way, one day all you'll be able to buy is 2-cyl 600cc pregnant rollerskates with automatic brakes...
Flat Lizard Racing - 50cc motorcycle WLSR

Brian - DLRA #409 - Blue Mountains, NSW
David Leikvold

stop whinging and build something!

Post by David Leikvold »

Gordon,
I'm the calmest and most reasonable bloke I know and even I'm getting sick of your pointless whinging. Your cheese-eating, surrender monkey built econo box is NOT a salt car and never will be. The Street Class is gone now so you don't have to worry about us not appreciating your wonderful Clio. (Good Renault? Sounds like an oxymoron to me!)
Some of your postings indicate some depth of automotive knowledge so get off your soapbox and build something. You could build a lakester that would be safe enough and fast enough without breaking the bank. Start with a dirt cheap complete rear wheel drive or even 4 wheel drive car and use all the running gear just to keep it simple. Copy every good idea you can find on all the links on this site and then JUST DO IT! Then and only then will you understand what we're all about.
Just because you don't like the A model coupe doesn't mean it isn't worth using. Yes, it is as aerodynamic as a brick but that doesn't mean it can't be built to run hard and be safe too. One of these ran over 200mph at El Mirage a few years ago with a straight 6 so it can be done. Build something and keep us up to date with photos and the story of the build, then we might respect you more.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt »

the randy dero wrote:Why not fit a bellypan? Not a permanent piece, but if that's all that's keeping you out of a class you'd like to race in, bolt it on. The car's mostly all there now, nearly ready to race. Mind you, it looks like a beautiful base for a serious street rod.

You must have read my mind - I was thinking the same thing whilst I was away for the weekend.
i've got a faux moon tank, that could be classed as streamlining, and shove the in front of the grill, and that'd meet the class requirements too.

I'm waiting to hear from a father and son team that ran a chev coupe at B'ville, using a bolt-together cage. It passed scrutineering there, so if I can copy that one, I'll have a true dual-purpose hot rod.

As far ar "Gordon's" comments go - well what can I say ..... if you don't get it, then why hang it on some-one who DOES!! :D:D;) Are you sure your name isn't Franklin - from the early days of the Landracing BBoard????
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I voted YES !
I would race a car like yours or even my roadster at the drop of a hat if I knew a bit more and could find a few more $$.
I still haven't been to the lake (Yes, We got part way too) So I've yet to experience the hipe ! but I'd like to think I've enough respect those who have, and learn by time there, on the strip or where ever.
The fact that a certain MR. G. bags everyone and everything tells me he just doesn't get it. As for Dr. G's statement, I agree whole heartedly.
I thing someone should just PISS OFF !! :shock: Sorry, my 2c worth.

CHEERS to everyone else. (see ya at the lake!)
Rocket
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Stovebolt

Option A followed by D and then C. It's always good to see some Hot Rods down the salt!

Lynchy
fredeuce

Should I race this car?

Post by fredeuce »

Here is a pic of the Stamp boy's hiboy coupe back in 2001 when it ran in Gas Coupe class.

I query if there has been a rule change in the time since that meet but that car certainly had no guards.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/dl ... 01-115.jpg
fredeuce
Stovebolt

Re: Should I race this car?

Post by Stovebolt »

fredeuce wrote:the Stamp boy's hiboy coupe ..... it ran in Gas Coupe class.

I query if there has been a rule change in the time since that meet but that car certainly had no guards.

I just rechecked the rules, and they state that the car must retain Fenders, and no 2% stretch in front of the firewall allowed to Vintage class coupes.

Checking the B'ville records, and the BMR 32 coupe set all the records in all classes it could before it was retired, and it never ran in the GC class.

I believe that the altered class rules' resrictions prevent my car running in it too :(
melburgorbust

Post by melburgorbust »

I'd love to se that ol beauty race. can you fit cycle-style guards instead of real fenders? she looks great and would look fantastic on the track
https://www.facebook.com/suusdesign
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Dr Goggles.. Well said
I particularly likeed the portrait shot of Gordon

not long to go now :D
Drewfus (Stan)

Post by Drewfus (Stan) »

Stovebolt wrote:
the randy dero wrote:Why not fit a bellypan? Not a permanent piece, but if that's all that's keeping you out of a class you'd like to race in, bolt it on. The car's mostly all there now, nearly ready to race. Mind you, it looks like a beautiful base for a serious street rod.

You must have read my mind - I was thinking the same thing whilst I was away for the weekend.
i've got a faux moon tank, that could be classed as streamlining, and shove the in front of the grill, and that'd meet the class requirements too.

Mark......FFS, get off the damn computer, get that car done, and then we'll drive that bugger there, race it, and drive it home.....you're constant thinking is hazing your vision, get it DONE.

Add the tank and bellypan, and go C.C., if you're worried about the wheelbase topic, you hold the 'dumb' end of the tape measure, and I'll read the number..... :wink: :D , yep, she's in.....now lets go racing.. :D

Build it.....NOW.

Cheers,

Drewfus :wink: :D
** build it small, drive it big **
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

Maybe get Gordon to drive it, a real car instead of his renault clitto. Always assuming, of course, that a helmet maker can supply a big enough helmet to fit his empty vessel into.
Stephen
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

the randy dero wrote:Maybe get Gordon to drive it, a real car instead of his renault clitto. Always assuming, of course, that a helmet maker can supply a big enough helmet to fit his empty vessel into.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CHEERS,
Rod. #811

www.rodsandrelics.com.au
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

OK... I'll say it.

PISS OFF GORDY!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Clearly you don't 'get it' so please don't bother us any more...

Stovebolt - If you want to race it on the salt, take it there and I'm sure they'll find a class for you.

In regards to fenders, don't cycle fenders and bobbed rear fenders count?
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]