alternate solution

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

whitworthsocket

Lake Dumbleyung

Post by whitworthsocket »

A great job,
I can give you a bit of info on Lake Dumbleyung.
If you do a Google earth search you see the water has pooled and when It dries out it is not flat.
A mate of mines brother sharecrops on the north side.
We used to organize a motorcycle rallies there on the south side in the seventies
Regards Whitworthsocket

DLRA wrote:G'Day Guys,
just done a fairly major update to the site, included all new members up to 749 and as promised we now have a new section called reference which I've sort of hidden on the menu under website.

This is where I'll be posting all the facts as they are presented so that everyone can find and see them easily. I've already included Gary's geology post. Early days, but I think you will get the idea.

There has been some really good revelations in the last couple of days, well done guys.

http://www.dlra.org.au/reference.htm

Check it out and let me know what you think
ben james

Post by ben james »

are you the guy who used to do a page in two wheels every month
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
hawkwind racing

Re: Lake Dumbleyung

Post by hawkwind racing »

[quote="whitworthsocket"]A great job,
If you do a Google earth search you see the water has pooled and when It dries out it is not flat.
We used to organize a motorcycle rallies there on the south side in the seventies
Regards Whitworthsocket

Ah that brings back fond memories the black duck rallies at L. dumbleyung,if memory serves me they were on every 2nd year and alternated with the center rally both of which I attended ,Ill see if I can dig up some pics :D
Gary
highway1

Post by highway1 »

Gary I have been impressed with the research you did on Lake Gairdner.

Wind, rain fall, temperatures etc – posted Feb13th

Lake Gairdner is an alluviated river valley ………its salt …. comes from subteranian ground water ……an unconfined aquifer…….NOT a part of the great artisian basin …….large basin called the weston plateau dranage …..geology of the lake is from top down to water table, salt , gypsum then gypseous clays , the water table lies an average of 5 meters below the salt surface…….. flowing springs at the surface ….. effecting the water table level include , topography , geology, seasonal & tidal effects and the amount of water pumped /drawn from the aquifer .
I have the name and # of a person in the SA govt that may have some specific info on gairdners water table , I will try and contact. Posted by Gary on Feb 18th

In the interests of our sport, I believe we should follow up and try to obtain more information.

Maybe we can help ourselves and the SA Govt. by co-operating with them into research of the characteristics and properties of Lake Gairdner. Quite often Government Departments have equipment laying idle and do not have the funds to monitor and gain extra information for a project.

Have you been able to contact the person from SA Govt who can give specific information on Lake Gairdner Water Table?

I know river heights can be monitored by floating beacons, via satellite transmission then read on a computer. If a bore hole was drilled down through the salt, water level monitoring device transmitting levels, then checked against such data as barometric levels, rain fall, temperature, months of year and what ever else necessary. It may be possible to gain extra information regarding salt hardness and water content. To help us plan our sport for a more reliable racing surface.

If this was possible, I would be happy to work on such a project by collecting local weather information and travelling to Lake Gairdner to help set up equipment with the relative Government department.

Max
Dr Goggles

yo

Post by Dr Goggles »

Nice one Max....good point you made , between "government equipment " lying idle , the BOM and the possibility that there might be a student looking for a research project we may see some good out of this ,F*** knows we need it. :wink:

I spoke to a geologist I mentioned on a post elsewhere today and sent him some info and links to the site , he has someone in mind who may have some expertise we can use .... in a way it's piss in the wind but you know , we're already gettin wet so everything is worth a try.
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
PLUCKA

Post by PLUCKA »

Dr G
I know a few people in Government agencies as well that might be able to assist in the monitoring of this water table. I ll call them today when I get to work.

Plucka
boyracer

big black dyno?

Post by boyracer »

I got a delivery at the shop today wrapped in 3-4week old newspapers. On one page a small article caught my eye about a group of 3 'well funded' business men looking for land north of the city to build a new drag racing/motorsport complex... Now,apparently the yanks use Edwards air force base in usa (7500 feet) for shake downs and all weather record setting. ive read of aviation runways/mangalore,etc being propositoned. what are the ideal specs for run up and wind down on the most bad tempered of lake runners eg. mr lynch and his fantabulous 300 mph thingammybob. you can buy land out there for about a couple of bucks an acre. maybe these folks might not wanna slow down when they hit 400metres?
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

The land's cheap, the race track isn't! Get 'em to make the drag strip braking area dead flat, dead straight, very wide and about two miles long with a long sweeping corner on the end to get onto a return road. That should do it!
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
whitworthsocket

Post by whitworthsocket »

ben james wrote:are you the guy who used to do a page in two wheels every month

Ben,
No that is not me
the randy dero

Post by the randy dero »

I remember reading Whitworthsocket in Two Wheels, but that was long ago. I bought the first issue of Two Wheels, and then had to wait abt 3 months for issue 2. I reckon it was the best Aussie bike mag ever.
Stephen
gazza414

Re: Lake Dumbleyung

Post by gazza414 »

hawkwind racing wrote:
whitworthsocket wrote:A great job,
Regards Whitworthsocket

Ah that brings back fond memories the black duck rallies at L. dumbleyung,if memory serves me they were on every 2nd year and alternated with the center rally both of which I attended ,Ill see if I can dig up some pics :D
Gary

Early 80's Gary..I attended a few of them as well on my trusty old XS11...remember that year me and you and Tony Boniface talked shit for 3 days in the van gettin over there.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

OK , here,s another possible solution .
East Sale ( Vic , approx 200 km east of Melbourne ) . Its a RAAF base and they have a motorsport club . The runways were last used for a sprint event ( lap dash I think ) as late as October last year . There are 2 runways 2500 mtrs and 2100 mtrs .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Rob

Post by Rob »

I know it's a little left field and possibly too late with the rain...

What about Lake George for an El Mirage type event?

Cheers,
Rob

Random thoughts a specialty :?
SPOOK

alternate solution

Post by SPOOK »

Maybe the Moe Boys, who live a few kay up the road from the RAAF air base may have some info. whether it is possible to use the facility, in conjunction with the motorsport club for test and tune? Forever Hopeing Spook.
boyracer

Post by boyracer »

is it el mirage or black rock that is a dirt/clay track used in the USA? anyone remember oiled dirt tracks used for karting? EPA would probably have a fit today though.
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!