alternate solution

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Rob

Post by Rob »

I was talking to a mate here this aftenoon on the phone who is a photographer for "Motor" magazine. Turns out he was driving to Bathurst then Mudgee with a group of other muscle cars. When I asked why it suddenly got interesting... they were going to the airfield to race against anyone keen enough to try. Further more this is an annual event. They run a standing 1km and he thinks they are required to have an 800m runoff after that. The airport has two interecting runways and proceedings are halted to allow aircraft to use the cross strip as required during the event. I ballpark the main runway at 1800m.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&hl=e ... 4&t=k&z=15

A bit further into the conversation and it turns out that Motor magazine often uses rural airfields for test runs and photo shoots. He was driving and it's double demerits so I didn't want to talk to him too long hwever I have asked for him to get some contact details for the Mudgee event and will talk to him again RE the other airports they use and the arrangements/costs. He did mention the biggest issue being rocks and gravel on the runway surfaces saying some were damn near half bricks. :shock:

I may even take a trip to Mudgee tomorrow and check it out myself as it's only a couple of hours drive from here and you can't have too many fingers in the pie.

Cheers,
Rob
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

according to my "ersa" (airservices australia) book, mudgee is 1739 meters long and is administed by the mid western regional council in mudgee :)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Rob

Post by Rob »

Stayt'ie,

I'll have to recalibrate my fingers :lol:

I read the online spiel for tomorrow's event and I'm not sure he's got the right end of the stick. They mention cars racing helicopters and aircraft but not cars vs car. It's online as Wings Wheels and Wine.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob

Post by Rob »

I got the return call last night with a name so will give a call and sound things out and report back.

FWIW, the "actual" pavement length is 1783m.

Cheers,
Rob