Is there a Class for Lunacy?

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

Rob

Is there a Class for Lunacy?

Post by Rob »

Coz this guy sure qualifys...

5 wheels, no streamlining & you can't even get your head between your legs to kiss it goodbye. Bonneville apparently.

Rob
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Similar to a "bike" made by one of the posters on Landracing.com - Dean Los Angeles. He ended up doing 110mph on it!
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Reminds me of the rocket go-kart in the Fremantle motor museum...

...now that would work on the salt!!!
DLRA Member#412
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've seen a few gas turbine powered pushies but figure if that motor is properly tweaked and the rider crazy enough, 110mph would be a shake down run albeit limited by the front trucks.

I used to regularly spit bearings often in the speed skating days and doubt we were doing 40mph.

Rocket powered kart sounds umm, interesting. Any pics of that one Rev?

Cheers,
Rob
w3stie

Post by w3stie »

That's Roscoe McGlashans machine seen here. Now there's a man who likes speed :shock:
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Roscoe was a guest speaker at a DLRA meeting at Rod's place one year. Told some great stories, very entertaining and held everyone's interest.
I remember the story he told about the Jet Kart, as I remember it, somebody else built the thing, but no one had the balls to drive it. There was a Yank who had come out to Australia and ran into Roscoe, anyway short story Roscoe said he'd do it.
He had only just arrived in the States and this thing was set up at an airfield somewhere (it looses a bit in the translation) any way before he had time to reconsider his options he was strapped in and there was this someone (whose name I should remember) a couple of miles up the track to signal when to deploy the parachutes.
Well Roscoe presses the go button, the G's kick in and before he's had time to stain the kimbies he's flashed past this guy with his thumb up. Finally he button's off and pop's the chutes. It takes what seems like ages for anyone to get to him 'cause he's that far down the strip.
First and only time the thing turned a wheel in anger.
You can just imagine what it would have been like...
Would have made Wile E. Coyote look like he was standin' still. Beep, Beep!!

Interesting thing he said about the rocket cars, nobody wanted to see him go quick, that's why they changed to the jets, to put on a show.

Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
Reverend Hedgash

Post by Reverend Hedgash »

Yep, that's the one.

Aussie Invader 2 is at the museum too and is also a frightening thing. At the front is a hole where he hit the timing lights at some forlorn speed through many layers of fibreglass.

The engine is on display showing the turbine fan damage as it slowly turned what was left of the timing lights into dust...

The cockpit is most rudimentary and the wheels a little bit awkward.

Balls of steel my friends, balls of steel...

The maserati powered "Twin Boom" (like a catamaran belly tank) of Taruffi is there which got a host of Land Speed records too in 1951.
http://www.fremantlemotormuseum.net/car ... suliro.htm

He was an amazing bloke too, check out:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/author.htm?authorId=33

The museum is worth a visit if you in the area, then check out the maritime museum then dinner and a beer at little creatures brewery around the corner.

OK, maybe a little off topic, but in the vein of lunacy we all suffer.

Rev. H'ash
born to gnash
DLRA Member#412
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Now that we're getting into the nostalgia.....

Whatever happened to Norman "Wizard" Smith's car "Enterprise"

You hear a lot about many other record breakers but not Wizard???

Lynchy
Rob

Post by Rob »

Good stuff Greg,

Thanks, I agree whole heartely with the Roadrunner analogy!

Thanks to W3stie for the pic too. Anyone know the speed rating for (open/unlimited I assume??)cart tyres? :shock:

I'll haVe to try and make it to the museum some day, I'd like a closer look at that cart.

Cheers,
Rob
Dr Goggles

whaddayaknow!

Post by Dr Goggles »

DLRA wrote:Image

sheesh , and I thought that was Laslo.......and his banned jet bike...ape-hangers and all.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
gennyshovel

Post by gennyshovel »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ten THOUSAND horsepower
I have a friend in the airforce,,he can get me any jet engines I want,,bla bla bla
You made my night Doc :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:
T'fer
Tiny DLRA# 484
Postiebike Racing , created & funded by TwoBob Engineering
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

I want a jet engine too! Cheers , Bob. # 66 C/GCC.
ben james

Post by ben james »

& dial me a pizza & where's my copy of street machine. oops i think i left it in the shitter at stewies
ben james dlra#389
moriwaki monster.
Dr Goggles

emu obscura

Post by Dr Goggles »

ben the weirdo wrote:& dial me a pizza & where's my copy of street machine. oops i think i left it in the shitter at stewies

....and you all thought I was "off beam"....

that's different to you Bob

....you're "On Beam"

BTW that wasn't a copy of Street Machine Benny ......that was something all together yuckier again :oops: :oops:crikey , I'm just a part-time , skin-deep , half-arsed , muck-around nut compared to you Ben you're the full-whack....and ya come on so quiet like too.....ya even had me fooled........
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Dr Goggles

Sorry but I missed this ....

Post by Dr Goggles »

Rob wrote:5 wheels, no streamlining & you can't even get your head between your legs to kiss it goodbye. .

Rob

hey Rob interesting call.....if you could "get your head between your legs to kiss it goodbye " you wouldn't need to drive all the way to Bonneville and get on that thing to keep yourself entertained...... :lol: :lol: