WTF!!!

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

hawkwind racing

WTF!!!

Post by hawkwind racing »

any one know anything about this
http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/local ... ubsection=
I gather from the story it took place this year ,was'nt the lake stuffed ?? what biannual bike meet ?? possibly a private FIM met? the pic is a busa not a kawa ,I call BS on the production claim as well ,anyone know anything?
gary
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
David Leikvold

sure!

Post by David Leikvold »

If it's in a newspaper it must be true! They wouldn't make something up just to fill a few column inches. Ever.
What rubbish! What's the bet the guy just presented the story and photo to the paper on a slow news day and they fell for it, hook, line and sinker. The Swiss timing company bit is just too silly for words. There are holes in this story that a truck could drive through.
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Cookey

Post by Cookey »

Gary,
Have just fired off the following email to the editor of the Northern Advocate.
"Hello,

I am querying the validity of your online article about John Howe from Whangarei who claims to have set a (pending) record for Production Motorcycles at South Australia’s Lake Gairdner in January (supposedly in 2008).

As a member and course timer of the Dry Lakes Racers Association, who has conducted speed trials at Lake Gairdner since 1990, I must state that we have no knowledge of the stated bi-annual motorcycle speed record attempts!

The lake surface has, because of higher than average local rainfall, been rendered unsuitable for any vehicular access for the past 2 years.

We are most interested as to how such an article could be published without verification especially as the photo of the motorcycle in the article is in fact a Suzuki and not a Kawasaki!!

Our members will no doubt be interested in your response.

Regards,

Tony Cooke

DLRA #363

GREENOCK S.A. 5360
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

from the fim`s, 2007 " technical appendices for world records"...018.3 Publication of Results and Advertising,,, if a record is still in the process of being ratified, any advertising concerning the results of the attempt must clearly state, in sufficiently legible characters, "SUBJECY TO FIM RATICICATION". ,,, these requirements must be respected and infringment will entail a fine of TEN times the ratification fee and/or other penalties stated in the FIM regulations...

ummm, :roll: :wink:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

be a pretty stout zx14 for a production bike, figure it would need around 260hp to do that.. :shock:

Must admit, thats the best looking Kawasaki i have seen :wink:
SPOOK

WTF

Post by SPOOK »

Will be interesting to read the reply from "the northern ad vocate". Also we could invite Mr John Howe to come and give a talk on how he attained this world record. But, just maybe he is a legend in his own mind.
Brootal

Post by Brootal »

I like this bit the best...

"He attributed some of the team's success to reducing weight, and not just of the motorbike.

"I got my own weight down to 77kg, which really helped." "

So all those guys I saw strapping lead weight to their swing arm (and running 200mph+ ) are clearly doing it all wrong. :roll: :roll: :roll:
When I grow up I want to be a Land Speed Racer!

DLRA #777

[url=http://www.the-rumbler.com]www.the-rumbler.com[/url]
fredeuce

WTF

Post by fredeuce »

Lets see now , the course distance is stated to be 10.6km if you add up all of the measurements.
Run up time to get to speed would be about 2 minutes to cover 6km from a standing start and assuming constant accelaration and entry to the 1.6km timing trap at approx 350km/h . Another 16 seconds to do the flying mile at the speed claimed and then 3k wind down. That doesn't sound like 10 minutes of full throttle to me.

I think the editor may well be an unwitting victim of some aural urine therapy. :wink:
fredeuce
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

Not to be confused with, I received this yesterday....

"Back in Black
Black Thunder Racing NZ Returns to Bonneville
Crashing his Kawasaki ZX14 motorcycle at 300kph in to two timing markers on the Bonneville Salt Flats in August 2007, has not deterred Hamilton’s Alan Thoresen, from returning to Speed Week 2008 in August this year to again chase a Land Speed Record in excess of 200mph.

Since Bonneville 2007, Alan has run the Drag Racing season in New Zealand on the ZX-14 breaking four national records over the season, and finished up in the runner up position in the NZ Drag Association National points series for Modified Bike.

The 52 year old is returning with more determination and enthusiasm to run at the 60th anniversary of Speed week on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah USA, which starts August 16th and runs for the week

The team for 2008 will be the same as 2007 with Hamilton Motorcycle Mechanic Neil Powell as Crew Chief, along with Andy Goodridge from TeAwamutu as crew assistant and Alan’s wife Violet Thoresen who will be driving the Teams recovery vehicle and home away from home.

Alan’s Kawasaki ZX-14 “Black Thunder” will have additional modifications based on experience gained at running on the Bonneville Salt Flats in August 2007, where the primary issue was lack of traction, and the build up of salt on the tyres with the moist salt conditions. – Alan will be sticking with the Continental Street Attack tyres, as they handled well on the slippery surface last year, however he will also run the new Continental Race Attack tyres on a second set of rims, as he and his crew chief believe that if the salt is moist, the ZX-14 tyres may actually gain better traction with less tread, as it should not pick up as much salt. – Alan will be carrying out some testing on the Kawasaki ZX-14 with the modifications before the bike is crated up in late July to head off to the USA.

Last year Alan and his Kawasaki ZX-14 gained considerable media coverage with their record attempt at Bonneville as the lone kiwi entrant, travelling from NZ to race with some of the fastest machines in the world.

This year has attracted what is believed to be four cars from NZ along with a potential 3 other motorcycles, and whilst all are individual teams, Alan has said he hopes that all the “kiwi teams” will front the start line on the salt at Bonneville together, so as to “Paint the Salt Black” with kiwis, cars and bikes and flags!!

Watch out for more updates on Alan, his Kawasaki ZX-14 and the Team from Black Thunder Racing NZ.

Check out www.blackthunder.co.nz"

Magazine Article PDF 1Mb
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor