50 cc lsr

Other News, Views and topics.

Moderators: DLRA, Rob Carroll, OLDtimer, outbacktrev, Peter Noy

boyracer

50 cc lsr

Post by boyracer »

gday folks. I believe there is a member with an interest in 50 cc (ex grand prix??) lsr 'bikes. would like to chat with them. any ideas who ?
Ps. current 50 cc record set in 1966 is 224 km/h!!
If its got b**bs or wheels its bound to be trouble!
w3stie

Post by w3stie »

Are you referrnig to this??
nitro-nige

Post by nitro-nige »

boyracer

fiddy...

Post by boyracer »

off tap racing

50cc lsr

Post by off tap racing »

boyracer, i think you might be think of me, i was looking for a 60s GP bike but there not real common to get a hold of, i still want to run my 50cc pocket bike but wheel size will only qualify me for a record, i just just got my self a new project for the 350 class, but anything on a 50cc i would still be interested.
Dr Goggles

Re: 50 cc lsr

Post by Dr Goggles »

boyracer wrote:
Ps. current 50 cc record set in 1966 is 224 km/h!!

I think not .

Eric Noyes sent me this when I was writing an article( about 1% of it was used in the AMCN job) i did on Speedweek 09.......

The 50cc streamliner is an interesting design exercise, it's like other motorcycles, but everything is distorted out of proportion. Our best set up (that lives long enough to make a return run) on fuel; normally aspirated makes a maximum of seven pound feet of torque. Turbocharged; at full boost; it makes one and a half pound feet more torque (16-20 Hp at the rear wheel at sea level). We have the ignition mapped to within two degrees of seizing (and a box of burned pistons and over a dozen ruined cylinders). Back off the set up just a little; and we lose three horse power; and it won't go fast enough to set a record. The motor falls several thousand rpm below the narrow power band during the first to second gear shift; with progressively less rpm drop over the next four shifts. The carburetor is so large (28mm) matched to such a tiny piston (41mm) that the air speed falls to close to zero if the rider gives it full throttle at less than near maximum revs, so with the high gearing (17:29 on our record run) the rider has to start rolling the throttle on from a new position after each shift.

It took time to learn to drive it, but we have both mastered it. John and I trade driving duties, the engine tuning and gearing adjustments make a much larger difference in speed than who is belted in.

In September 2008 at Bonneville; with the first two runs off the trailer; John(Buddenbaum) set the flying start one mile two way average; World Record with a Turbocharged 50cc Aprilia motor on fuel at 144.xxx. We spent the next day and a half attempting to find a slightly faster combination, but all we accomplished was destroying another piston and cylinder.

for what It's worth( my opinion that is) the Buddfabb liner is one of the best examples of form following function a record breaker that is absolutely gorgeous
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
momec

Post by momec »

Thats Porsches design philosopy,
Form follows function.

Chris
Acme Racing #251
boyracer

Re:my fiddy cents...

Post by boyracer »

boyracer wrote:http://membres.lycos.fr/rebel6/kreidler2.html
how's your french?

parlez vous francais?
I believe this would appear to be a 'land' speed record. As in not a wet bit or a gaseous space but some where on the solid bits of the planet(usually the autobahn/M1 bits!)... not the salty bits.
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

Non, je ne parle pas français mais il ne fait aucune différence, je peut lire des nombres.

Le record de vitesse pure en 50 cm³ date de neuf ans lorsque Kreidler décide de s'y attaquer après son retrait des Grands Prix. En 1956, H.P. Müller (NSU) a atteint 196 km/h, et Kreidler compte bien franchir la barrière symbolique des 200 km/h. Surtout, après qu'Anscheidt (Kreidler) se soit adjugé un record à Hockenheim en avril, Zündapp s'est emparé de plusieurs records d'endurance à Monza en mai, et Kreidler compte bien reprendre l'initiative. Avec une machine étroitement dérivée de celle de Grands Prix, une première tentative permet d'établir en septembre quelques records d'accélération et de battre celui de Zündapp sur 10 kilomètres, avant d'attaquer les choses sérieuses.

Cigarillo plus que barreau de chaise

Rudolf Kunz s'élance à nouveau, le 23 octobre 1965 sur le Grand Lac Salé de l'Utah, au guidon d'un spectaculaire cigare. Les pneus sont les mêmes Continental que ceux développés pour le NSU de 1956, mais contrairement à celui-ci, le Kreidler offre une position de conduite couchée sur le ventre. Le moteur, qui conserve ses deux distributeurs rotatifs en bout de vilebrequin, est muni d'un compresseur à palettes, et la boîte (dont seuls huit rapports sur douze ont été conservés) est commandée au guidon, par voie électromagnétique. Le contrat est respecté : le meilleur kilomètre lancé de Kunz s'établit à 209,777 km/h.

Un record durable

Kunz ne sera dépossédé de son bien qu'une douzaine d'années plus tard. Le record appartient aujourd'hui au Néerlandais Jan Huberts, qui, en août 1981 aux Pays-Bas, a parcouru un kilomètre à 224,580 km/h avec son Casal.

Pour passer enfin les 200 km/h avec un 50 cm³, Kreidler dut développer une mécanique spécifique mais aussi un châssis pour le moins inconfortable. Heureusement, l'exploit ne prit pas trop de temps.

144 milles par heure égale 230 kilomètres par heure,
viva le Buddfab :wink:
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
Rob

Post by Rob »

A little time and no gaurantees produced the following trabslation.

Speed records in 50 cc date back to when Kreidler decides to attempt ack after its withdrawal of the Grands Prix.
In 1956, H.P. Müller (NSU) reached 196 km/h, and Kreidler hopes to cross the symbolic barrier of 200 km/h. Especially, after Kreidler recorded a record at Hockenheim in April, Zündapp gained several endurance record at Monza in May and Kreidler hopes to take again the initiative.
With a machine clsely derived from that of Grand Prix, a first attempt allowed him to establish in September some records in acceleration and to beat that of Zündapp over 10 kilometers before h attempts more serious things.
Cigarillo raised the record of the current holder, Rudolf Kunz, who tried again on October 23, 1965 at Bonneville (the Salted Big lake of Utah), with a streamliner (with the handlebar of a spectacular cigar). The tires are the same Continental ones as those developed for NSU in 1956 but unlike their attempt, Kreidler has a better position of control laid down on his belly.
The engine, which preserves its two rotary feeders in end of crankshaft, has a compressor and the gearbox (whose eight ratios out of twelve were used) is changed via the handlebars using electromagnetics.
The effort is respectable: the best recorded speed over 1km) of Kunz is 209.777km/h km/h. A durable record Kunz will not be dispossessed of until well over dozen years later.
The record today belongs with the Netherlander, Jan Huberts, who, in August 1981 in the Netherlands, ran one kilometer to 224.580 km/h with his Casal. To finally pass 200 km/h with 50cc, Kreidler had to develop a specific engine but also, at the very least, an uncomfortable frame. Fortunately, the exploit did not take too much time. 144 miles per hour equals 230 kilometers per hour, viva Buddfab
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Viva Le Bullpucky!
Motorcycles AND French???
You've done it now!
Adios Amigo's.
OLDtimer

Post by OLDtimer »

How about translating all that to MILES per hour, not that metric crap !!! Pete DLRA #6
Dr Goggles

now now

Post by Dr Goggles »

OLDtimer wrote:How about translating all that to MILES per hour, not that metric crap !!! Pete DLRA #6

Hey Pete, following a little more closely..........the question was asked "do you speak French", so I answered in French, "no, I don't speak French but that doesn't matter I can read numbers"...then, I added at the end the conversion from 144 mph to km/h after highlighting the fact that none of the numbers in the French article were above 230km/h........

but you're right........ :wink: :wink: :wink:
boyracer

doh!

Post by boyracer »

now wheres that homer emoticon... Sorry Dr. goggles you are indeed correct.
guess i should read my own posts more carefully. I had the kriedler page bookmarked as ' KREIDLER 50cc 244 km/h' on computer. Hell, i even wrote 224 down on an earlier post.
The bud fab liner is indeed well cool. I read about it on rockies site.
Buy you a beer next March.

:oops:
Dr Goggles

it's 10am

Post by Dr Goggles »

...............but I'm thirsty now :roll: .............the gap between Kriedler and Buddfabb shows that either Kriedler were using some sort of rocket fuel or despite all the development that went into two smokers between the fifties and now that a lot of it was lost.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U4bOtifdFU