lake buchanan

News and Business that directly relates to Queensland members

Moderators: DLRA, momec3

gazzas landy

lake buchanan

Post by gazzas landy »

Sorry to hear speed week was canceled,hope it is good to go next year,cos i want to be there ,car will be finished.At the moment i am trying to gather info on lake buchanan[traditinal owners,cattle properties,gov dept].Will be taking a drive up there to check it out,around September.

Regards,
FG
David Leikvold

Re: lake buchanan

Post by David Leikvold »

Gaz,

You might want to get in touch with Ron Stayt from Mackay, he mentioned Lake Buchanan a couple of years ago when we were rained out. From memory, it's in Channel Country a long way from nowhere and often has water on it but you never know...

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Gaz,, i have been monetoring Buchanan for many years now, and in "dry" times would be an excellent place for LSR at seventeen miles long by five wide, with a good dirt road in from the Charters Towers /Clermont road 8) , however at the moment the lake is under water. Still make your trip up there in September. I have found that the lake surface is pretty good at that time of year (depending on the preceeding wet season), it is situated smack bang right on top of the Dividing Range at 950' elevation, and has a very small catchment with no creeks draining out of it. Have driven over most of it, have flown over all of it,,, it is on private property and have had a cup off tea with the owners. The photo you show is the lake acess at the southern end (the wet end, Buchanan falls 11 inches north to south, so the southern and south western side are always the last section to dry out). The main dirt road runs approx half a mile away but parallel to the lake on the eastern side, you will cross a small culvet about half way along the lake, the vegetation is pretty sparse so turn in and its an easy drive in a 4wd to get to the lakes edge, this is the best place to check it out from :D .
I have some excellent photos (old style), but no way of posting them on here :? ,,,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
gazzas landy

Post by gazzas landy »

Thanks for that Ron,did you mention to the property owners about D.L.R.A.,just asking.I don`t think there is traditonal owners for the site,i`ve searched and came up blank,i thought about contacting e.p.a concerning the fairy shrimp,only two placers have them that`s Buchanan and somewhere near Bourke.Thought the lake would be under with all the rain that`s been up there.The best thing about Buchanan the roads there are pretty good,easy for the QLD and NSW boys to get to.If it could be used , run it as a GPS track,around October,November, just a thought.Anyway thanks again for all the info. Cheers F.G