The Bedourie Claypan Event

News and Business that directly relates to Queensland members

Moderators: DLRA, momec3

momec3

The Bedourie Claypan Event

Post by momec3 »

The Queensland Timing Association would like to announce that we will be holding an event on a very large claypan in the Bedourie region of outback QLD.

This event will be held from 20th till the 24th of August this year.
This date has been chosen to avoid conflicting with the Omeo event and for favorable weather at this time of year.

Entries for our first event will be limited.

We have decided to run this as a stand alone event independant of the DLRA in an organisational role. This decision was discussed and agreed at our last meeting. Our grounds for this direction are so we can make local decisions swiftly based on local knowledge and be totally accountable to all our members that join and participate in QTA activities. The DLRA are busy enough with Omeo and Lake G.

Financial membership applications for the QTA will open from June 11,(see contact details below).

We hope to run GPS timing provided we are fully subscribed and can cover the insurance difference between a timed event versus a Test and Tune. (Test and Tune is cheaper insurance)
We will grade a 5 mile track.
Vehicles must comply with the DLRA/SCTA rule book.
Pre scruitineering will be encoraraged by recogonised scrutineers.

The format for the first event will vary with what you are used to in that entry will be both limited and out of neccesity more expensive.

Paid entry cutoff date will be July 23.
Race go ahead regarding sufficient entries and finance being covered will be confirmed 7 days later on July 30.
A full refund will go to all members if suitible subscriptions are not reached.
Final track inspection and go/no go will be decided on or before August 12.

Why limited entry?
Good valid question and one we have laboured over.
1/ The location is remote, we have to put in place all the components to run a race meeting. We need to test drive the local inferstruture with the aim of running for years to come. The less people the easier this is to acheive.
1/ We need to test the durability of the race surface. This will be easier to manage with a smaller number of competitors.

Please read the following entry criteria and reasons carefully.

We will accept 6 "Teams"

Each "Team" can consist of up 5 vehicles. (Cars/bikes or both)
Each vehicle can have unlimited drivers/riders.
"Team" cost regardless will be $5000
Cost concious teams can see that this could be affordable if done wisely.
All QTA funds will be completely transperant to club members and funds from entries not required to run the meeting will evenly refunded after the event.

Why "Teams"
This puts the onus back on 6 groups to get there own s#*t together quickly with purpose so our small band can do what we have to do to make it happen.
"Teams" of course will end up combined groups of racers, don't need a special tag, this was only suggested as an orginisational aid.
We would like to see subscriptions close early if possible as this allows more time for critical decisions to be made from our side.

Lone Wolves and newbies, who want to participate but don't know who to call can call me and I will help put 1 or 2 "Teams" together.

So get on the phone, orginise your mates and lets make this happen in August.

You can phone me on 0409 637 096 or PM for my Email address.

Chris Hanlon
Chris
BOB ELLIS

Re: The Bedourie Claypan Event

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Can we run four wide ? Maybe start in the middle (4 go south , and 4 go north),and the other two do donuts!!

Sorry Chris , someone had to do it !!!!!

Lets make this happen , we lost the airfield deal that me and Don worked so hard to get,the QTA has a future !!

Cheers , Bob.
Bowie

Post by Bowie »

Well done gents,love your style, it all makes sense ,, in our own back yard on the clay, see ya's at the meeting, cheers Bowie
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Good to see a very positive move Chris :D

But unfortunately for me i will be on my way to the US ,

Hope all goes well and the weather is favorable
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Greg , good that you are off to US , bad that you are not able to be here.We would really value your input / opinion , as you have experience running on the dirt surface.

Cheers , Bob.
hawkwind

Post by hawkwind »

Well there are 5000 reasons I will not be attending .........actually there are 5000+ reasons .......I wish you ( QTA) all the best in getting this venue up and running :) ..... If it all comes together I will be there oneday.

Gary #282
Vehicle......................A new creation.
Designed by................Troglodyte.
Engineered/ built by......Rustic.
Financed by.................Nickles & Dimes.
Rider......................... Tardus Vetus Inflatio
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Gary

Minimum individual racer cost is $1000 if you are the only racer. The $5000 is each team of 5.

Some might want to pay the $5000 to ensure the event works but I doubt this very much.

Shared drives will share costs. Remember to enter at Bonneville its $490 per vehicle with unlimited drivers

We have 1 Team filled already.

Thanks for the response so far.

Chris
Chris
Greg Watters

Post by Greg Watters »

Bob my tactics may not work for everyone :lol: , basically hold it pegged , keep change gears and hang on
But i have a short dirt airstrip and have a fair idea how it will react , every vehicle and driver/rider will be different

Gary all you need is 1k and 4 other guys or 5 vehicles and 15 guys , looks like you will get lots of runs with only 30 vehicle entrys , pretty good value considering ... and no salt cleandown :D

How about (if this suits Chris and the other organisers) anyone interested posting here
maybe you can find your vehicle or other parties to share , maybe the guy with the vehicle will not have to fork out any $$ if several others want to join the team and contribute with cold hard cash
Lots of potential , just need the end numbers to make it happen
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Well the event is gaining momentum and support,

Second full "Team" joined today and he wanted to know how far we could grade the track and would it be smooth. :| I said as far as you like and we will make it smoother than a babies bum.

Had lots of other calls with offers to help run the event so I'm happy with that also.

We will grade the track out as long as required, only said 5 mile cause 30 mile sounded a bit long. :D

Chris
Chris
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Greg,
Yes excellent,

Create a virtual "Team" without leaving your computer.

Great idea.

Chris
Chris
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Ok

A slippery sedan is the first vehicle for "Team C" confirmed, comes with 3 eager drivers. Good value guys.

4 more spots in "Team C".

Email address now working.

momec7@queenslandtimingassociation.com

Chris
Chris
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Spot 2 in "Team C" gone to a very old but fast black car that sits close to the ground. :wink:
It has lots of drivers and they share something else other than the drive :wink:

Chris.

Why are there no flys in China?
Chris
Dr Goggles

Post by Dr Goggles »

momec3 wrote: It has lots of drivers and they share something else other than the drive :wink:
Would that be a history of pirouettes?
...few understand what I'm trying to do , but they vastly outnumber those who understand why..
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

They all share the same name!
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
momec3

Post by momec3 »

Yes Doc,
I'm told in their previous life they were all ballerinas but in this life they are mostly Prima Donas.

Funny coinsidence about the names too.

On a serious note we have added 2 more entrants to "Team C"

Spot 3 is a lightly seasoned Modified Mid Mini Pickup keen to add the gravy. 2 steerers to reduce driver fatigue.

Spot 4 is a 1/2 litre with pushrods, holds all the cards so I'm told.

1 spot to go in "Team C" so don't be shy.

Chris

momec7@queenslandtimingassociation.com
0409 637 096
Chris