Motor Cycle Licensing

News and Business that directly relates to Queensland members

Moderators: DLRA, momec3

jpbyron

Motor Cycle Licensing

Post by jpbyron »

Hi guys we have been planning on making the trip to Lake Gairdner in 2014 from SE QLD. We are building a 100cc motorcycle. I have recently just completed my learners motorcycle lic at the age of 42 and have found out that I am now required to be on my Provisional Lic for a year, taking us beyond the March 2014 event. I am looking for some clarification on the rules as my Provisional motorcycle lic allows me to ride up to a 250cc motorcycle and I will be competing on a 100cc bike. Has anyone dealt with this before, as when you have been driving cars for 25 years and riding dirt bikes for that long I am happy with my capabilities but also don't want to make the long haul and find out that we cannot compete. But Salt Fever has got hold from a couple of trips to Bonneville and we are biting at the bit for next March.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Motorcycle Racer Lake Gairdner & Bonneville.

DLRA, SCTA & AMA record borrower
JonB

Re: Motor Cycle Licensing

Post by JonB »

Welcome aboard JP, any info on your build?
Where in SEQ?, there's a few of of us in that area.
Ross Brown is chief bike tech, he should be able to clarify the licence thing but don't see it being an issue.
Especially as you have a car licence.

Cheers
jon
DLRA#1115
Underhouse Engineering
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

Thanks Jon,
Im actually based in Byron Bay, but the build is on the Gold Coast at my dads. My Dad Warren Afflick and my brother Mitchell are building a blown fuel single 100cc. It was a CRF100F but does not really resemble that any longer. It will def sound good but not sure if the bottom end from MR Honda will hold together. Here is a link to our FB page have regular updates, photos etc.

Cheers for your welcome.

RGV

Post by RGV »

As long as there are no restrictions on your "P" plate I cant see a problem.

"SECTION 7 MOTORCYCLE COMPETITION SPECIFICATIONS
Following are the rules governing motorcycles participating in the DLRA Speed Trials.
7.A GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MOTORCYCLES
7.A.1 Rider’s License:
Land Speed Record attempts or Record Trials are open to all DLRA members in good standing. A current
and valid state driver’s license with a motorcycle endorsement is required."

Dave

Edit. I cant see a FB link.

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

Thanks Dave.

I may be in trouble then as I have a restriction of 90km, so our 100mph goal for a 100cc bike could be an issue. Any ways will see what we can do.

Any way here is the link sorry about that. https://www.facebook.com/AAALandSpeedRacing?ref=hl

Kind regards. J-P

AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

Welcome JP

Sounds like a great build,
Funny I remember seeing your dad race his Mach111 at Surfers Drags, 8) would that be right?

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

jpbyron wrote:Hi guys we have been planning on making the trip to Lake Gairdner in 2014 from SE QLD. We are building a 100cc motorcycle. I have recently just completed my learners motorcycle lic at the age of 42 and have found out that I am now required to be on my Provisional Lic for a year, taking us beyond the March 2014 event. I am looking for some clarification on the rules as my Provisional motorcycle lic allows me to ride up to a 250cc motorcycle and I will be competing on a 100cc bike. Has anyone dealt with this before, as when you have been driving cars for 25 years and riding dirt bikes for that long I am happy with my capabilities but also don't want to make the long haul and find out that we cannot compete. But Salt Fever has got hold from a couple of trips to Bonneville and we are biting at the bit for next March.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Please do not mistake the forum as a place to obtain permission for license qualification, vehicle suitability or class nomination.
The forum is only a place for members and interested others to talk about land speed racing stuff.
If you are serious about wanting to get a definitive answer to your question, please write a letter with your proposal or email to
Dry Lakes Racers Australia
PO Box 349
Castlemaine VIC 3450
or
secretary@dlra.org.au
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

Pete,
Thanks for the welcome.
Yes that was my dad on his Mach111 Kawa. Yeh he won a few National Titles on that bike. He later went on to build a few different double Triumphs and won a few more Nationals. Ran 8.3 165mph in 1980. We have had a couple of visits to Bonneville together and thought we should do a project together. We don't have to much to do with the drags these days, we did crew for Gary Phillips Top Alcohol cars for a few years and Gavin Spanns Pro bike and old Nitrous bike. So it is a good buzz to have him on board for this build. Thats why we went with Blown Fuel, if nothing else it will sound good!

You can check out our build and other old pic here - https://www.facebook.com/AAALandSpeedRacing?ref=hl

Cheers J-P
Last edited by jpbyron on Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

DRLA,
Not a problem, I was not trying to obtain permission of any kind for any qualification etc etc.
I was using the forum to ask fellow racers if they had ever encountered my problem, this I thought was talking about land speed racing stuff.
Thanks for the contact details I will email over the coming days.

Kind regards,

J-P Afflick

Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Mach3's and Surfers(drags), earlie seventies, 8) ,, say g'day to'ya oldman for me mate, :D,,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

Seeing there was so much talk about Surfers Raceway and Mach 111s, I would share this with you.

DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

jpbyron wrote:DRLA,
Not a problem, I was not trying to obtain permission of any kind for any qualification etc etc.
I was using the forum to ask fellow racers if they had ever encountered my problem, this I thought was talking about land speed racing stuff.
Thanks for the contact details I will email over the coming days.

Kind regards,

J-P Afflick
G'Day JP, no problems this end, I just wanted to make sure you were aware, that's all.
See you on the Salt!
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

Drla,

I guys I sent an email off to the secretary a couple of weeks ago regarding the license questions above. As I have not had a reply, could you please tell me if this person in on the deck at the current time or let me know of another email address of someone else I can direct my question to. Just would like rule clarification before spending further dollars getting ready for Speed Week 2014.

Kind regards,

JP Afflick.

AuotonomousRX

Post by AuotonomousRX »

JP

Try PM Ross Brown as per Boss Streamliner Build Diary he's our Motorcycle Chief

Pete
Still trying to decide if I am a procrastinator

Pete :?
DLRA #866
jpbyron

Post by jpbyron »

Thanks Pete for that. We are progressing along with build and a list of other things to get ready for the trip south next year.
J-P Afflick