STANTHORPE AIRSTRIP

News and Business that directly relates to Queensland members

Moderators: DLRA, momec3

DON NOBLE

STANTHORPE AIRSTRIP

Post by DON NOBLE »

GDAY deprived racers . I went to Stanthorpe on the weekend and saw the airstrip for my first time . This is one of the airstrips we would like to be able to use . Its 1711 mtrs long by 30 mtrs wide . Its all sealed and runs slightly downhill from the east , or as Pual Lynche,s way of thinking , uphill from the west . There is plenty of parking area at the eastern end and an access gate adjacent to what I believe would be a good pits , start line area . I couldnt get onto the strip , but from standing on the fence it looks really good . Its a bit puzzling why such a beaut airstrip was built here . Theres no sheduled services here , and very few if any charter flights to it . There is only 2 hangers and they would only hold an aircraft each . UM shall we buy it :lol:
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
RED NISSAN WAGON 1986 # 281
2002 F/PRO 125.4 MPH RECORD
2003 F/PRO 140.2 MPH RECORD
2005 F/GC 137.9 MPH RECORD
2006 F/GC 141.1 MPH RECORD
1/4 mile ( drags ) @ Willowbank 14.15 @ 97.61 mph August 2006
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Don

It was put there for us!

"If you build it they will come"
BOB ELLIS

Post by BOB ELLIS »

Hey Don,I'M BACK! Been very busy working away. Now Donald , Please be honest with the readers.You did not go to Stanthorpe to look at our potential race track,You went down there to look at RED WINE!!,and had a few moments to spare between swigs ,and you "CONNED" Marg to drive you to the Airstrip :P . Well Done Don!! Good Pic's. Now we just wait,& wait,& ....... Cheers , Bob.
momec

Post by momec »

Sorry to all the guys that have'nt been informed as to whats happening up here.
On behalf of the Q.T.A. I have written a letter to Council requesting use of either Stanthorpe or Warwick airports for use for speed trials.
I have received a letter back from the Mayor saying that he has refered our application to the council engineer and we will hear back from them shortly.
The Mayor is obviously a very patient man and does'nt mind a long wait so we are also very patiently waiting for our next reply.
I presume the next step provided the engineer gives the nod is our formal application will be brouht up at a council meeting and perhaps be voted on.

Do's anyone know the council process for such matters.
Each small step seems to take so much time. I suppose one thing our sport must teach is patience.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

I tried to get in touch with the Chief Engineeer of the Southern Downs Council , a message was left for him to phone me and he hasn,t returned the call . That was about 3 weeks ago .
The B+B we stayed at in Stanthorpe is owned by people that are on the Stanthorpe Tourism Committee , and have headed me in the direction of the Stanthorpe Engineer , I will phone him this week .
Yes Bob there were other reasons for being in Stanthorpe , and yes drinking red wine was one of them :lol:
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Drinking Queensland red............

I thought the only decent Qld Red was Fatty Vautin!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I did 20 years in local government and the best tip I can give you is to end your message with "if I don't hear back before next week I'll call you back"... and keep it up.

Some of the guys are great and others won't return a call to save their lives and that includes inter-departmental.

I should think that when it is put to council, someone needs to be at that meeting to speak "for" the proposal and to be able to answer questions if required, otherwise it will get voted upon at face value and possibly preconceived ideas of car hoons and the like.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.
DON NOBLE

Post by DON NOBLE »

Gday , I got in touch with the council guy that looks after the Stanthorpe airstrip . I sent him a copy of the letter Chris Hanlon had sent to the Council . Said council airstrip guy had not recieved a copy of the letter from higher , that was sent about 6 weeks ago , now he,s up to steam on it .
Ok now back to the waiting again .
NOW LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND
momec

Post by momec »

Thanks Rob
How do you think we find out when and if its going to a meeting. In my naievity I thought if you sent an official letter of request they had a duty to do something with it?
Am I expecting to much.
Your on the right track Don, keep up the good work.
Chris
Acme Racing #251
Norm

Post by Norm »

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh good old LG. Depending on how things work up there I would say dont hold ya breath but then again it maybe as simple as a yes.

As I work in LG there are lots of ways to skin a cat and what Rob has said you need to have a solid case even down to insurance and stuff like that. Me thinks alot more work needs to be done and even the followup phone call to the Council.

Even better still If you can find out who the local Councillor is speak with them to test the water. Well bad use of word (water) This is what got us in trouble to start with. :P

Hope this helps and everthing works out well
Rob

Post by Rob »

Norm wrote:you need to have a solid case even down to insurance and stuff like that.

Definitely, it's the question you cannot answer that will bring the whole thing undone.

Chris,

I figure council procedures vary from area to area and state to state. Ours would receive a letter in a main office, it would be opened by staff, stamped with a dated "Received" stamp, initialled by the opener and then put in a pile for the appropriate person (not necessarily the addressee btw). If your letter goes missing and you don't follow it up, it's your problem. If they don't ring or write back, it's your problem etc. etc.

I would expect that you will be notified long prior to anything going to council. For it to actually go to council the responsible officer will have had to have done the groundwork and written a report along with a recommendation and their reasons for that one way or the other.

Try to get a contact name as early as you can and work with that contact rather than speaking to a different person when you ring. If you have the time, rock up in person but be aware that many of the engineers are out during the day, after 4pm was a good time for ours to be in the office. Last question on the phone would be once you have a name .."When should I ring you back?" and ring on that date without fail, keeps 'em on the ball.

Start doing eveything you think you might nee to fo a submssion to council now, keep it in a folder and have it to hand whether on the phone or visiting in person, it saves time and shows you are serious.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.