theTRUTH

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

russelllowe

Re: theTRUTH

Post by russelllowe »

Hey Stayt'ie, I'll keep that in mind for version 2 ... funny how something simple sounding (like some skids) presents so many issues to overcome. I've spent ages thinking about it already and still aren't anywhere near happy with the solution. Keep going aye!

Yeah, good reasons to avoid aero for the time being. I may do a small fairing just to help me hang on, but no tail or anything for 2019. I recon spread out like I am gives better leverage than sitting on the bike in a more conventional sit up pose. I could feel the back end moving around at 150 this year and it was no bother at all. Having said that, the APS1000 from last year was spinning all over the place at 195 and felt fine too (I squeezed onto that in a real jockey pose; legs right under my butt and no help at all). The long wheelbases probably help I recon.

I've got gears for 220 for the V8. Ambitious ... but necessary for a red hat.

Cheers!
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi All,

Two questions ... especially for Graham; Graham, are you out there?

I'm thinking fixed skids wouldn't be a bad option (simple and strong and definitely in position), I only need them when slowing down to a stop (but they take into account the high mounting point suggested by Stayt'ie just in case they do touch at higher speeds). They give me 15 degrees of lean angle; from a safety point of view are you happy with that?

and from the rear

And some background to my second question: I've been experimenting with connecting a small video camera with a LCD screen for an on-board live video feed of the view down track. The video is very high quality and the cable connection means there is no discernible lag. By looking down at the screen, rather than over the front tire, down the track I think it will solve some key ergonomic problems. There would be nothing stopping me from lifting my chest to look down the track in a conventional manner if something was to go wrong with the camera/screen/cable. Would that be ok from a safety point of view?

If you are ok with that in principle I'll progress the idea by developing mounts that isolate the system in terms of vibration.

As always, keen to hear anyone else's opinion.

Cheers
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

I say this as a point of conversation/interest, what you are proposing is totally different,,

In 2007 maybe 08 at BUB I was talking with the fellas that ran the little red Honda streamliner, the rider layed on his back, forward vision was via a mirror setup,, thay struggled to keep it on track and crashed a lot due to the orientation/balance illusion of trying to navigate by mirror :evil:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,
DLRA
Site Admin

Post by DLRA »

The feedback about people trying to run periscopes has never been very positive. Quite often they are too small and don't offer a view where the rider / driver can orientate themselves with the horizon or the track. This is after all how you get your balance. You need something with a panoramic view.

You can test your concept out with your car, by simulating the set up and then covering the windscreen.
Just make sure there's nothing to run into......
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi guys,

Staty'ie, do you have any web links to those guys? Keen to see their setup ... I've tried a mirror and left and right is as expected but upside down is a little disconcerting. I like mirrors for their failsafe simplicity though.

Webmaster, yeah, technology has come forwards in leaps and bounds so I have plenty of options for high definition wide angle cameras and tablet sized screens. I've tested a gopro linked via wifi to a large smartphone but the lag was over a second which I wasn't happy with. The best setup so far has been a logitech HD webcam linked to a large android smartphone via a USB cable and OTG adapter. Crystal clear image, wide angle, no lag. Shaking the shit out of it didn't seem to cause issues with image breaking up either.

Possibly the difference between what I'm proposing and mirror based periscopes is that there is no image reversal either side to side or upside down. I'll also be able to look up and ahead if necessary (so won't be dependent on the camera/screen).

I'll keep testing!

Cheers
harky

Post by harky »

Russel
Cameras
Periscopes
Mirrors :oops:
Htm :twisted:
PPS
Gti
Reverse image ?????
Hell
Feet forward. Ergonomically comfortable , like being in bed ____ but faster
Hyper extension of the kneck (a new term I learnt ) i can lend you my LEATT kneck :lol: brace
Keep @ it
My trainer wheels up / down system is becoming a little clearer ( in my head)
Silly issues like mine is so long my trailer needs to cope with a bike 2mtres longer , and making it unbolt and be in 2 sections
Is an option i have dropped
Ok back to the shed
harky
DLRA #643
so far 120mph for$2000---imagine how fast I can go for $20,000
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hey Harky,

That was almost a Haiku ... nice.

With a bit of technology mine will also be like laying in bed, but on my front; looking down through a hole like on a massage table!

Looking forward to seeing your trainer wheels.

Fun times!

Cheers!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

I have a cuppla photos (old skool) of it, but nothing that shows any detail on the periscope set up,, BUT, go to canadianmotorcyclehalloffame.ca/inductees/2007/bob-williams (sorry, don't know how to add link),, Team Arrow Racing,, you should be able to track him down, best of luck :D
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Thanks Stayt'ie,

That's all I needed ... check out this awesome video: https://youtu.be/_I4Yr2N6zss

Yes, it is a crash video ... but at 240mph! And they had records at 210mph ... The 240mph video says it's a sub 500cc but they ran a CBR600 in it as well. Must have been pretty slippery.

I also note he's leaning a lot in that video, not a simple run for sure ... lots of work going on by the rider. Not all of it looks like over-corrections either ... he seems to be tracking along straight and then needs a hard turn ... straightens for a while and then another turn.

Here's a picture from a friend of ours.

and another showing the full bodywork and the obvious advantage of a periscope:

Cheers!
Assen

Post by Assen »

Hi Russell,
Progress looking great
The outriggers I stuck on my bike worked better than expected
I opted for simple pneumatic cylinders operated via a 12v 5-port solenoid valve. Wired to a simple thumb switch it worked a treat.
I faced the wheels to retract forward and upwards so when I drop them back down the direction of the bike locks them back against the stops as I coast to a stop. I used air in the centre tube of the frame and could get approx 13 cycles up and down between refills.
I am going to try to upload a video of it on assentecracing channel (YouTube) when I figure out how to do it effectively
AA licenced
1st open bike in the world over 260mph - both ways
Red hats = DLRA, SCTA, BUB
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi Richard,

Pneumatic, did you say they were festo ones? Very keen to see your setup. Having them retract forward is a great way to make them strong without putting a lot of load into the cylinder mechanism themselves (was one of my concerns).

Are you using a disposable cylinder for the air or do you pump it up?

Cheers!
Stayt`ie

Post by Stayt`ie »

Watching that video clip the thing is listing badely (15*) to starboard for the entire run,, one wonders about the position of his body, confined, laying there would really limit body English movement, also if he wasent lying center to the thing, it would tend to list/pull either way :?
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hey Stayt'ie, I think its just that the camera is mounted off to the side.

Totally agree, there would be bugger all input via body movement. And pretty claustrophobic in there.

I'd love to have a go though!

Cheers
RGV

Post by RGV »

Not sure if you mean these ones?

Last Minute Racing
DLRA #928

2010 MPS/G 250 118 MPH
2011 Washed Out
2012 Washed Out
2013 MPS/G 250 131 MPH (RECORD)
2014 MPS/G 250 140 MPH (RECORD)
2015 MPS/F 250 DNF
2016 MPS/F 250 114 MPH (RECORD)
2017 MPS/F 250 DNF
russelllowe

Post by russelllowe »

Hi RGV,

Yes, those are the ones!

So lightweight in comparison to what I was proposing. Very cool.

Are you thinking about changing it up on the RGV next year? APS/F 250?

Cheers!