Build begins on Bill Burke bellytanker (the clone)

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

DLRA
Site Admin

Build begins on Bill Burke bellytanker (the clone)

Post by DLRA »

from this weeks Hemmings eNEWS

Any hot rodder who’s studied his Montgomery knows the name Bill Burke. Not only was he one of the original hot rodders, but he’s also the guy who spotted a shipment of drop tanks during World War II and decided they’d make excellent streamliner bodies for dry lakes racing, thus giving birth to the bellytanker, an icon of post-war hot rod history.

Unfortunately, he never held on to that first bellytanker he built, and its fate remains unknown. But if everything goes according to plan, another one just like it will appear on the Bonneville salt this summer.

Geoff Hacker, a friend of Bill’s, had recently bought an abandoned bellytanker project in California, and shared with Bill his plans for a generic rear-engine bellytanker build when Bill noted that the P-51 tank, with a 60hp Ford V-8 and sitting on Model A front and rear axles and wire wheels, very closely resembled his original front-engine tank. So Geoff reconfigured his plans to clone Bill’s original tank with Bill’s permission and guidance.

“Even though I didn’t know it at the time, the parts that came with it were pretty much what I needed to replicate Bill’s bellytanker,” Geoff said. “So my intention is to build it as if we went to the same junkyards Bill went to, and with the same parts.”

Geoff recruited two builders, Ted Kempgens and Tom Bambard, and assembled as many pictures of Bill’s original bellytanker as possible for reference.

Presenting the finished product at this year’s Bonneville makes for a tight deadline. “But Bill said that he would have built it quick, and that we needed to do so too,” Geoff said.

Keep an eye on the Hemmings Auto Blog http://blog.hemmings.com, for photos of the bellytanker build.
- By Daniel Strohl
Keep the shiney side up........
DLRA WebMaster / Editor
David Leikvold

Re: Build begins on Bill Burke bellytanker (the clone)

Post by David Leikvold »

This replica of the first ever belly tank lakester was finished in time for Bonneville 2009 and is now featured in the current issue (#48) of The Rodder's Journal. It's a good read. The car is as close to original as they could get. They only had a few photos and the memories of Bill Burke and Ken Crawford, the neighbour who helped him build it, but as it was 1946 when it first happened some of the details are a bit vague after more than 60 years. If your newsagent doesn't have TRJ you can always get it from Graffiti Publications. The rest of the issue is also very much worth reading. I wonder if anyone in Australia will ever build a street legal version? My money's on Rod Hadfield, he's probably already got all the parts tucked away in a shed somewhere. Actually, he's probably got enough to build a few of them!

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!
Lynchy

Post by Lynchy »

Dave

I went to Borders to buy a copy as the local (Sydney) newsagent didn't have one. I didn't buy it.... they wanted $38.95!
David Leikvold

Post by David Leikvold »

Paul,
I got mine from the newsagent at Home Zone on Newmarket Road at Windsor. They always have a good array of hot rod and other car magazines and they only wanted $21.95. I know Newmarket's not that handy to you, maybe you could ring a few of the bigger newsagencies in your area. If that doesn't work ring me, if they've still got any left I'll get you one. Be quick though, they only had two copies left and that was almost two weeks ago.

Cheers
Dave :D
Good, Fast, Cheap, pick any two!