DIY junkyard Racer

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

hawkwind racing

DIY junkyard Racer

Post by hawkwind racing »

Goal 8 HP per cubic inch , 260+ MPH ,before I croak or am declared bankrupt /insane which ever comes first .
caution ! watching grass grow may be more exciting :shock: .....stay tuned for more wxciting installments :wink: :P
Last edited by hawkwind racing on Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastest busa in Captains flat pop. 200
hawkwind racing

why a busa

This build will be based around what many call the SBC of bikes ,a suzuki Hayabusa .... firstly some reasons why a Busa..... its proven itself to be capable of my goals (relativly cheaply).....holds all the high speed records worldwide ....there are heaps of after market performance parts .... a huge data base of performance mods & tuning information & because I happen to have one laying about :D ....what else could one ask for ...mmmmm a money tree ???
cheers
Gary
nitro-nige

Post by nitro-nige »

You can't leave it that.
We need much more detail.
Quad turbo sidecar? :shock:
hawkwind racing

lets start

Firstly I hope that by showing this build in step by step form that it will encourage others to get out in their sheds and have a go themselves , I have by every means possible tried to keep the build as cheap as possible , I have no professional qualifications in engineering , basically Im a self taught bush mechanic :D who enjoys what I do , I have/use only a basic tool kit ,hand tools ,some power tools ,a gas axe ,and arc welder & spray painting gear , any machining is farmed out , so folks it is possible if you have the will to make your own "dream racer" ,try it you may be suprised :D
cheers
hawkwind racing

For the viewers that dont know what a hayabusa is ,the pic below is my 99 model busa

In its stock form it made around 158 RWHP ,with the few mods I made (pipe and small airbox mod) it made from memory about 163 RWHP and in 03 I ran a best of 188.xxx MPH .In 04 I added a wet nitrous kit and made it into the 200mph club with a 202.XXX @200RWHP
Its stock capacity is 1299cc or 79 cubes so thats 2.5 HP per Cube , I tried larger shots of nitrous in 05 but due to problems no big numbers , after this I decided to build a turbo jobbie which was ready for 2007 :cry: and 2008 :cry: some dyno testing inbetween found it a wee bit wanting so for 2010 hopefully Ill freshen it up a bit ,give it a gut full of alky and hopefully reach my goals
Cheers
hawkwind racing

engine first

I have the engine out of the bike now so I will post up a build of it over the next couple of months as time & $$ permit, as there have been many busa engine builds on the net to date ,I will try to keep this one a little different ,mostly by the parts used as many are out of the ordinary ,and I will give my reasons for using them :wink: ,also I will NOT use brand names , no business has sponsered my build nor supplied parts so stuff giving them free advertising :evil:
cheers
hawkwind racing

the head

the heart of any engine is the head , this is where you make or break any power potential , the busa head is standard fare for any late model japper , 4 valve ,DOHC , pentroof combustion chamber , this is one of the items I farmed out for professional treatment ,full port job and fit the largest valves possible

I installed 1mm oversize S/S valves,here are the flow bench figures

Data flow pressure was 10" and max valve lift was 10mm

stock inlet at the above test was 131.6 cfm
stock exhaust " " " " 90.7 cfm

ported inlet at the above test was 144.5cfm
ported exhaust ' ' ' 102.5 cfm
a 10% increase for the inlet and a 13% increase for the exhaust

Full figures
Inlet
valve lift 2mm 4mm 6mm 8mm 10mm
stock 36.1 72.3 101.9 122.7 131.6
modified 38.6 79.2 111.8 134.3 144.5

exhaust
stock 31.5 58.0 77.3 85.9 90.7
modified 36.4 67.1 88.7 97.2 102.5

cheers
hawkwind racing

some close ups of the ports , the valve seats have been given a 5 angle treatment

hawkwind racing

front on view of the exhaust ports and intake ports , I have also removed the pair valve ( anti polution) gear above the intake ports and drilled and tapped the take offs these will now house the EGT sensors X4 ,pic later

cheers
hawkwind racing

because Im chasing big power Im also very aware of the problem of reliability for LSR up to 10K's at WOT can be very hard on any engine ,and even far more critical for a max effort engine ,so I have set some parameters that will help with reliability ,one being ceramic coatings and another anti wear coatings ,after research and word of mouth I have taken a punt on getting some components treated ,there is a couple of companies in Aus that do this type of work and its well worth the effort to get some upfront quotes as its bloody expensive ,I saved several 100 by doing some homework :) .........one of the parts treated were the valves ,these are aftermarket stainless jobbies the intake are 1mm oversize @ 34mm and the exhaust is also 1mm oversize @28.5 mm ,the exhaust valves are ceramic coated and the stems coated with a solid molly , the intake valves are nitrided and also coated with a solid molly (stems ) ....the ex valves need to be lapped when refitted to seal correctly

cheers
hawkwind racing

I put the valves /springs etc together today and in the interest of reliability and performance only the collets are OEM the retainers are titanium for reduced weight and the springs are specials sourced from Japan .... most blokes use certian sepo sourced springs ....here I have sort a different solution , because this engine is turbocharged a higher seat pressure is needed to counter the inlet turbo pressure which works over the valve area and tries to lift the valve off its seat ....likewise the back pressure from the exhaust tries the same trick on the exhaust side ,so a stronger (stiffer ) spring is used ...actually that is two springs per valve (inner /outer) , the springs I use have a seated pressure of 70 lbs and a nose pressure of 180 lbs , the valve train type is a DOHC /shim under bucket and a narrow valve angle 14* IN/EX for a total of 28* and the combustion chamber volume is 18.8 CC'c ,I will be using stock cams which have proved to be the best for turbo applications ...max inlet valve lift is 8.8mm and the exhaust is 7.5mm ,......I will be limiting the max RPM to 11K just a touch more than stock ,again for reliability... below is the assembled head .........by the way the allen bolts in the intake runners are tempory plugs for the nitrous jets :twisted:

cheers
gazza414

Post by gazza414 »

Good going Gary...just one note that the titanium retainers are indeed heavier that OEM... they're only benefit IMHO is that they allow a little more cam lift due to design before the underside comes a mating with the valve seal.

all the best mate... and I'll have a effing bloody big trailer for us all to cart our bikes down in next year and sleep in.
1 FAST HAYABUSA 217.443mph so far
9 Official Timeslips over 200mph
Very much the apprentice
PJQ2

Post by PJQ2 »

Go Hawk.
Is it to early to hear ideas about frame and body... since I know you've probably got some wild stuff swirling around in your head.
Regs,
PJQ
Velocity Science Laboratories
Rob

Post by Rob »

How's the build going Gary, it's been a while since we heard from you.

Cheers,
Rob
I owe, I owe, so off to work I go.