1986 NISSAN SKYLINE STATION WAGON

See cars and bikes being built for the salt

Moderator: DLRA

DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

Post by DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281 »

Anonymous wrote:THE SKYLINE IS BACK ON THE ROAD AS OF YESTERDAY . SORTED LOTS OF LITTLE PROBS OUT . WELL I WAS 2 WEEKS TOO LATE TO GET IT DONE OR IS IT I,M 50 WEEKS EARLY FOR 2005 .

ARE THAT WAS ME FORGOT TO LOG IN .
WILL SORT A FEW THINGS OUT THEN TAKE THE WAGON TO WILLOW BANK DRAGS SOON
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

204 MPH. Toyota 1JZ-GTE, bought from wreckers about a month ago for $440. Garret TO4 turbo bought for $750 about a month ago as well. Slightly larger fuel injectors, two stock intercoolers welded together. Ran nearly 7700 RPM for 3 miles, about 8 times. Still running sweet. question is, where to now?
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

NISSAN RB26DETT 2600CC dohc 24 valve twin turbo , 1000hp plus is possible .

Post by Guest »

Don, an RB26DETT is going to cost about 5 or 6 thousand to buy 2nd hand. With the extra $5000, I can make my Toyota make a lot of horsepower. The Toyota is good for 7 to 800 horsepower with stock internals. My motor was dynoed at 400 HP at 5500 rpm and 16 PSI, and I would guess at leat 450 at 7700, at 20 PSI on the track. This would have to be at least 500 at the flywheel. I use stock ignition running waste spark, so the coil charge time is only half what it should be. 440cc fuel injectors.
The Toyota is a grossly underestimated motor in Australia, and the Nissan is mostly popular as it was sold by Nissan dealers, while the Toyota is a grey import.
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

fair comment , i,m not gunna disagree on that
John Broughan

Post by John Broughan »

Have you thought about your being in Gas Coupe with your head change? I assume that the RB30 manifold won't bolt to the twin cam head, so this would stop you being in production.
John Broughan
Empty Pockets Racing
200 MPH club life member
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

thats correct again John . i figured i would have been running in F/GC .
both inlet and exhaust manifolds are different . out of curiosity f/gc and f/pro records at Bonneville are very much the same ( low 160s ) .
Anyway i,m still refining the nissan , putting in an air/fuel ratio meter today , then change the ammount of fuel as required .
Am running standard cams in this engine and combined with the variable cam timing has a much larger power band now , great to drive around town too .
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

took the skyline wagon to willowbank dragstrip on wed nite , test and tune nites they call them. 15.4 @ 92 mph . thats virtually identical to what it did before i did the twin cam conversion . havent had the computer sorted out and the air/fuel ratio meter showng too lean .
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

well have sorted out a few probs .
found the variable cam timing and the oxy sensor getting no power ( they come off the same feed )
fuel consumption now improved greatly and power now allmost instant .
also got tacho working with a 4cent resistor from dick smith .
hits the rev limiter at 6500 , wonder if tach reading low , or wether i got another prob . figure rev limiter should be higher as max power at 6100 for the engine the puter came off .
been solving most of these probs thru the r31 skyline web sight , about 900 ppl listed on it .
will be taking it to willowbank dragstrip test and tune on 5th may.
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

I took the nissan wagon out to willowbak dragstrip on 5th may . was a bit quicker than before , but still not happy with it . 15.1 @ 92mph . needs more fuel . will check fuel pressure and put in adjustable fuel pressure regulator .
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

fitted an adjustable fuel pressure regulator , malpassi brand $ 128 . set pressure at nissan factory pressure 30 psi at idle . that resulted in it running no different . upped idle pressure to 40 psi now runs a whole lot better , i.e smother and no hesitation
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

picked up some different injectors out of a turbo model , they flow 370 cc as against my 270 cc , cost $100 . will put in soon . will be in melbourne wed-sat this week , maybe catch up with some southeners there.
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

just bought me a little supercharger to play with , one of them sc14 type they put on certain Toyotas . Thats the type Mr Hadfield builds a kit for , to put on various type of 6cyls .
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

Went to Willowbank dragstrip last nite ( Wednesday 4th aug ) . Finally got into the 14 s with the red wagon . Did a best of 14.90 @ 93.05 mph . Not bad for a basically stock 3000cc , has stock cams , head and puter , but has extractors ,bigger throttle body and different fuel pressure regulator
DON NOBLE ... DLRA # 281

Well in the quest for a bit more power , have gone and bought another rb25det cylinder head ( that means nissan 6 cyl dohc 24 valve variable cam timing ) , seems that holden and their v6 are just catching up .
ANYWAYS bought this extra head to have it ported and flowed , all that sort of stuff , and am bleeding as much info from knowlegble peoples as to what cams to use .
At present with stock cams and dohc head its performing ok , but like the rest of us want more hp , and dont you just love the sound of a lumpy idling engine or an engine at full noise on the salt flat . ( gotta be a bloke thing )